ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
That is so great to hear, I'm glad your boxer is doing well. I have to wonder why the vet didn't suggest trying this? Like your pup, Jelly is like a new dog, still an old lady, but I wouldn't even THINK about putting her to sleep now, it's like night and day! Thank God I tried this!!!

My vet didn't suggest it either, I found out about it on here EBN!!! I'm so glad you found something that works for Jelly...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
My vet didn't suggest it either, I found out about it on here EBN!!! I'm so glad you found something that works for Jelly...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So sad to think we almost had her put to sleep! :*(

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
When I adopted Mickey - 9-11 years old - the adoption mom had him on Animal Naturals Joint Strong. It is a powder that you put on their food. I have been giving it to him since November and he is doing great with it. When I first got him he could not even squat down to go through my dog door - now he has no problem doing it. It does not seem to upset his stomach either. He was a stray before he was rescued so we do not know exactly how old he really is. The vet figures closer to 10/11 than 9. He walks a little stiff, but I believe that is because he might have gotten hit while he was a stray and that was the way it healed.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
So sad to think we almost had her put to sleep! :*(

GOD bless you & dear Jelly...Vets & human Doctors do not know everything, also,
fear of lawsuits stops them from offering alternatives or suggesting other treatments.

Make sure to give NON COATED ASPIRIN as dogs do not break down or absorb the
coated type.

Sounds like you've done a wonderful job w/Jelly to make it to 11 years~Congratulations!

Welcome to EBN, let us know how Jelly continues to do on her regime, GOD bless y'all (t)

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
Aspirin Dosage for Dogs
SOURCE
By Kelly Roper
Dog Breeder and Exhibitor

Aspirin can be used to treat dogs that are in pain, but it's important to understand the correct dosage for your individual dog, as well as the possible effects it can have on your pet.

The following dosage guidelines are provided for informational purposes only, and are not meant to replace professional veterinary consultation and care. Consult your vet directly to determine if administering aspirin is the right treatment for your pet and confirm the correct dosage based on your dog's exact weight.

According to WalkerValleyVet.com, you can give your dog apirin once or twice a day to relieve pain and/or inflammation, and you should always give it with food. The basic aspirin dosage for dogs is based on a dog's weight, as follows.

Weight Basic Dosage
Aspirin Dosage Chart for Dogs

Under 10 pounds 1/2 baby aspirin
10 to 30 pounds 1 baby aspirin
30 to 50 pounds 1/2 adult aspirin
50 to 100 pounds 1 adult aspirin
100 pounds or more 2 adult aspirins
Side Effects of Aspirin Usage

While aspirin can be effective and is readily available, there are some drawbacks to using this particular pain reliever for your pet. According to VetInfo.com, there are possible adverse side effects, as well as reasons aspirin use is not advisable in some circumstances.

Stomach upset - Aspirin can upset a dog's stomach, which can interfere with the ultimate goal of relieving your dog's pain. Adult aspirin comes coated and non-coated. Coated aspirin is usually a little easier on a dog's stomach, especially if your vet advises you to give repeated doses.

Stomach ulcers - Long-term usage could lead to stomach ulcers. Watch for dark, tar-like blood in your dog's stools since this is usually a strong indication his stomach has been bleeding.

Blood thinning - Aspirin does thin the blood, which can lead to excessive bleeding if your dog is injured or undergoes surgery while on the medication. It should never be administered to a dog with Von Willebrand's Disease or pregnant or nursing dogs.

Kidney damage - Aspirin should never be given to a dog that already has kidney disease. In otherwise healthy dogs, watch for signs such as increased or decreased thirst, and well as changes in appetite and onset of vomiting, since these signs are often associated with kidney problems

Overdose Is Possible

Giving your dog too much aspirin can produce serious complications that require emergency care. According to PetMD.com and VetInfo.com, signs of an overdose can include:

Lethargy/weakness
Anxious or depressed behavior
Loss of appetite
Loss of coordination
Vomiting (Usually blood)
Diarrhea
Pale gums (Sign of possible shock)
Intestinal hemorrhage
Rapid breathing/panting
Seizures
Loss of consciousness
Dogs can also die quite suddenly if they receive a toxic dose of aspirin.

Tips for Giving Aspirin

If your vet advises you to use this medication for your dog, the next step is administering the dose your vet has advised. There are several ways to do this.

Place the pill on the back of your dog's tongue and stroke his throat to encourage him to swallow.
Place the pill inside a special, digestible "pill pocket" routinely used to give dogs medication.
Insert the pill inside a tempting food like a piece of hot dog, or wrap it in a piece of bread and feed it to your dog.

A Final Caution

In order to avoid drug interactions that could cause harm, aspirin should not be given to a dog that is on any other medications unless it is done so under the direct supervision of a veterinarian. Ask your vet about alternative pain medications so you can make an informed decision about the best treatment for your pet.

I checked the dosage of the adult aspirin, it is 325 MG....what I'm giving Jelly now is low dose 81mg....2 in the AM and 2 in the PM....I decided to keep doing that rather than giving her one pill in the AM and possibly having the effects wear off... 4 x 81= 324mg....so I think I'm good! Thanks for this information! I so appreciate ALL the comments and suggestions...my best to all of you with your beloved bullies!!

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
When I adopted Mickey - 9-11 years old - the adoption mom had him on Animal Naturals Joint Strong. It is a powder that you put on their food. I have been giving it to him since November and he is doing great with it. When I first got him he could not even squat down to go through my dog door - now he has no problem doing it. It does not seem to upset his stomach either. He was a stray before he was rescued so we do not know exactly how old he really is. The vet figures closer to 10/11 than 9. He walks a little stiff, but I believe that is because he might have gotten hit while he was a stray and that was the way it healed.
Where do you get that? I might like to try that. :think: So glad he's doing better for you!! It's so sad to see them unable to move freely.

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)

GOD bless you & dear Jelly...Vets & human Doctors do not know everything, also,
fear of lawsuits stops them from offering alternatives or suggesting other treatments.

Make sure to give NON COATED ASPIRIN as dogs do not break down or absorb the
coated type.

Sounds like you've done a wonderful job w/Jelly to make it to 11 years~Congratulations!

Welcome to EBN, let us know how Jelly continues to do on her regime, GOD bless y'all (t)
[/QUOT

In another post I was advised to give coated aspirin....hmmmm....did your vet tell you non coated? I agree Doc's don't know everything CLEARLY!!! I've spent so much money on rx's for Jelly in the past year and nothing really helped...out of desperation I tried OTC and she's doing SO WELL!!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Happy that Jelly can have MORE GOOD time! The good time is what counts!! I wouldn't change a thing! Hugs to you and Jelly,lucky girl!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
In another post I was advised to give coated aspirin....hmmmm....did your vet tell you non coated? I agree Doc's don't know everything CLEARLY!!! I've spent so much money on rx's for Jelly in the past year and nothing really helped...out of desperation I tried OTC and she's doing SO WELL!!!![/QUOTE]
My vet told me (with Cami & suspected torn ACL) that aspirin & other NSAID's were not enough
and he put her on a 10 day of newer anti-inflammatory & pain reliever, Previcox. In my research,
several trusted sources advised non coated aspirin as dogs (supposedly) DO NOT break the coating
down and therefore, do not absorb the med. I already knew that in cases of suspected human stroke
or heart attack, they advise giving immediate dose of NONcoated aspirin because it takes time for it
to break down in our stomachs & must needs to be absorbed immediately to be of help. Dogs lack
(whatever the process or acids are) and can't at all. However~to be certain~I will do further research
on this and get back with you on results. Thank you for bringing this up~GOD bless!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online