General Question Arthritis in 11 year old

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
Jelly has been battling arthritis for the past year and a half. She was put on Rimadyl and a pain killer called Tramadol...even though the vet said that would help I never felt it did much good. She had gotten to the point where it was hard for her to pick up her back end, and going up and down the steps was a major undertaking. She slept all the time and barely moved around.
We've talked about whether or not it was time to put her to sleep :cry:

As a last resort when my son was home for Christmas I bought Schiff MOVE FREE joint health (glucosamine/chondroitin plus MSM), it is for PEOPLE, but I felt like I wanted to try something different. I also bought low dose aspirin 81mg. I've been giving her two of the MOVE FREE in the morning and two at night, and the aspirin 2 in the morning and 2 at night. She seems SO MUCH BETTER!!! She is going up and down the stairs now with NO PROBLEM!!!! And moving around much more, she actually brings us toys now, she's like a new dog! She's been off the Rimadyl now for a month and also off the Tramadol.
Does anyone else know anything about this? I haven't told the vet since I'm thinking if he thought that was a good thing he would have suggested it(?)
I worry that this may be doing some other damage, but at this point I just want her to be comfortable, even if it shortens her life.....any thoughts?

Thanks for any advice, thoughts, ideas you might have!
Cindy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
I have no advice just wanted to say if Jelly was so poorly that being put to sleep seemed the only option then you are definatly not shortening her life and only pro longing it for her. As long as she isnt in pain I dont see any harm and like you said she is more active so she must be feeling better right? but im no proffessional. Fingers crossed for you and Jelly. 11 is a very good age xxxx

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I don't know about using Joint Free, but I give Dudley cosequin every day...it's the same thing, but for dogs. Dudley doesn't have arthritis, but he does have hip displaysia. His vet suggested I also give him salmon oil and coconut oil as well. I would think that if you baby is doing well...then it would be fine. I know vets will tell you to give 81mg of aspirin. You have an 11-year-old bulldog...sound to me like you've done doing something RIGHT! I don't have any info that might be helpful, but she sounds like she's ding pretty well now!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It sounds to me like you have done a GOOD thing!We never want to lose our babies, but she is at an age where Quality of life may count for more than quantity of life! At least those are my feelings, after having many dogs in my lifetime-and sadly having to deal with the loss of them also. I,too tried things that worked-though not recommended by the vet. I think many human and animal Dr.s have been so "trained" with prescriptions, that other methods don't even occur to them at times.
I say keep on with what you are doing-as long as Jelly (I LOVE the name!) is feeling better! Just watch, in case she gets a cut-as aspirin thins the blood. You might want to get some ranitidine(generic) for her stomach,too. Go Jelly girl!!:muah2:You rock! So cute.

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
I have no advice just wanted to say if Jelly was so poorly that being put to sleep seemed the only option then you are definatly not shortening her life and only pro longing it for her. As long as she isnt in pain I dont see any harm and like you said she is more active so she must be feeling better right? but im no proffessional. Fingers crossed for you and Jelly. 11 is a very good age xxxx

Yes, you are right. We thought this would be her last Christmas, but now I feel like she's back to her old self! I just needed some encouragement I guess. I really think the vet would not approve. :/

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
Thanks for everyone's comments...I'm 'sort of new' here and still trying to figure out how this message board works...I really appreciate the positive feedback....I don't think the vet would approve, but she's doing so well I HAVE to be on the right track...good point about bleeding and also the stomach issue, I will def. start her on some rantidine.
THANK YOU!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about Jelly… I have a boxer who is 9, and I started giving her NuJoint Plus and I have noticed a HUGE difference w/her. She seems like her old puppy self… LOL Honestly if what you are doing is helping her, then I say stick w/it!!! I will tag some members to see if they can offer any advice. Please keep us posted on Jelly… what a sweet baby!!! :heart:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You're a great mom to do something like that and I dont see anything wrong with it, you've made her life better. I think if you told the vet he would probably try to sell you on something else. Good job and God bless Jelly at 11 thats wonderful and is encouraging to all of us Bully lovers.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I don't have any experience with arthritis in dogs, my two arent quite two years old yet, so haven't had to deal with older dog issues yet. I totally agree with everyone's comments above, and just wanted to say you've done a wonderful job so far and just trust your instincts. Vets and doctors will always try to push the medications, and they do have their merits and work for many things, but sometimes the simplest and the natural things work just as well or better, and there are many supplements and over the counter medications that are sold for humans, but are safe for dog use as well. I wouldn't worry what your vet would say, if what you are doing is working for Jelly, and she is showing improvement, then I would continue with the MOVE FREE supplement, and the aspirin. I am just wondering if 4 aspirin a day is too much? I don't have any experience with this, but the recommended dose for humans on daily low dose therapy is 1 to 2 aspirins per day, and humans weigh much more than a dog, so I would look into the dosage, as it may be too much. I would worry about the stomach issues that can happen with aspirin, and also too much thinning of the blood, as you don't want her to have bleeding in the stomach.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I've heard of dogs undergoing acupuncture for their pain/arthritis as well as healing massages with a qualified pet masseuse (yes, there are such folks out there)! those are some more "holistic" treatments you may want to look into in conjunction to her current medications. Give Jelly a big hug from us!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aspirin Dosage for Dogs
SOURCE
By Kelly Roper
Dog Breeder and Exhibitor

Aspirin can be used to treat dogs that are in pain, but it's important to understand the correct dosage for your individual dog, as well as the possible effects it can have on your pet.

The following dosage guidelines are provided for informational purposes only, and are not meant to replace professional veterinary consultation and care. Consult your vet directly to determine if administering aspirin is the right treatment for your pet and confirm the correct dosage based on your dog's exact weight.

According to WalkerValleyVet.com, you can give your dog apirin once or twice a day to relieve pain and/or inflammation, and you should always give it with food. The basic aspirin dosage for dogs is based on a dog's weight, as follows.

Weight Basic Dosage
Aspirin Dosage Chart for Dogs

Under 10 pounds 1/2 baby aspirin
10 to 30 pounds 1 baby aspirin
30 to 50 pounds 1/2 adult aspirin
50 to 100 pounds 1 adult aspirin
100 pounds or more 2 adult aspirins
Side Effects of Aspirin Usage

While aspirin can be effective and is readily available, there are some drawbacks to using this particular pain reliever for your pet. According to VetInfo.com, there are possible adverse side effects, as well as reasons aspirin use is not advisable in some circumstances.

Stomach upset - Aspirin can upset a dog's stomach, which can interfere with the ultimate goal of relieving your dog's pain. Adult aspirin comes coated and non-coated. Coated aspirin is usually a little easier on a dog's stomach, especially if your vet advises you to give repeated doses.

Stomach ulcers - Long-term usage could lead to stomach ulcers. Watch for dark, tar-like blood in your dog's stools since this is usually a strong indication his stomach has been bleeding.

Blood thinning - Aspirin does thin the blood, which can lead to excessive bleeding if your dog is injured or undergoes surgery while on the medication. It should never be administered to a dog with Von Willebrand's Disease or pregnant or nursing dogs.

Kidney damage - Aspirin should never be given to a dog that already has kidney disease. In otherwise healthy dogs, watch for signs such as increased or decreased thirst, and well as changes in appetite and onset of vomiting, since these signs are often associated with kidney problems

Overdose Is Possible

Giving your dog too much aspirin can produce serious complications that require emergency care. According to PetMD.com and VetInfo.com, signs of an overdose can include:

Lethargy/weakness
Anxious or depressed behavior
Loss of appetite
Loss of coordination
Vomiting (Usually blood)
Diarrhea
Pale gums (Sign of possible shock)
Intestinal hemorrhage
Rapid breathing/panting
Seizures
Loss of consciousness
Dogs can also die quite suddenly if they receive a toxic dose of aspirin.

Tips for Giving Aspirin

If your vet advises you to use this medication for your dog, the next step is administering the dose your vet has advised. There are several ways to do this.

Place the pill on the back of your dog's tongue and stroke his throat to encourage him to swallow.
Place the pill inside a special, digestible "pill pocket" routinely used to give dogs medication.
Insert the pill inside a tempting food like a piece of hot dog, or wrap it in a piece of bread and feed it to your dog.

A Final Caution

In order to avoid drug interactions that could cause harm, aspirin should not be given to a dog that is on any other medications unless it is done so under the direct supervision of a veterinarian. Ask your vet about alternative pain medications so you can make an informed decision about the best treatment for your pet.

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
THANK YOU so much for that information....I'm giving her low dose 81 mg. now, I don't have any adult aspirin in the house I'll need to go to the pharmacy and check the mg. in a regular adult aspirin. This is what I worried about, not knowing if I was doing something that could cause another immediate problem. She's doing so much better, I'm so thankful! She is one pampered bulldog. She goes to the doggie spa every Friday for her Benzoyl peroxide bath which really helps with skin issues, everyone there LOVES her, they're all so happy that she's doing so much better!! They call her the greeter! Every time someone comes in the door she goes right over to greet them, none of the dogs are in crates, they are free to play and sleep next to each other, it's a great place, she loves it! :hiya:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
THANK YOU so much for that information....I'm giving her low dose 81 mg. now, I don't have any adult aspirin in the house I'll need to go to the pharmacy and check the mg. in a regular adult aspirin. This is what I worried about, not knowing if I was doing something that could cause another immediate problem. She's doing so much better, I'm so thankful! She is one pampered bulldog. She goes to the doggie spa every Friday for her Benzoyl peroxide bath which really helps with skin issues, everyone there LOVES her, they're all so happy that she's doing so much better!! They call her the greeter! Every time someone comes in the door she goes right over to greet them, none of the dogs are in crates, they are free to play and sleep next to each other, it's a great place, she loves it! :hiya:

Aww... You just keep spoiling that baby!!! Lol we would love to see more pics of her!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
That is so great to hear, I'm glad your boxer is doing well. I have to wonder why the vet didn't suggest trying this? Like your pup, Jelly is like a new dog, still an old lady, but I wouldn't even THINK about putting her to sleep now, it's like night and day! Thank God I tried this!!!

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
Aww... You just keep spoiling that baby!!! Lol we would love to see more pics of her!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just tried to upload a couple pics, but didn't have any luck...I'll try tomorrow. I'd love to share her pics!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.