Anal glands

Cheeseman05

Oct 16, 2013
A few days ago Mr Beefy started smelling really bad and was 'leaking' from his bum! (sorry for sounding gross) I took him to the vets and expressed his anal glands and said that the left one was large and has become infected. He's now on antibiotics and anti inflammatory but every time he sits down he may leave a little mark of what looks like thin blood. They seem to have decreased a lot in size but was just wondering if this should be expected whilst he's getting better. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
Many thanks, Adam.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes, that sounds like normal drainage, from the infection. thin/watery looking would be normal drainage. If it starts to be thick and puss E, -not. Be sure to give him all his meds., as directed. Hope all is well very soon!

OP
Cheeseman05

Cheeseman05

Oct 16, 2013
Thank you very much for the reply! :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
You are welcome! AND Welcome to EBN!!!:welcome:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Beefy is very handsome, you did the right thing by taking him to the doctor. I hope he feels better real soon. :EBNwelcome:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hi there. So glad you took Beefy to the vet. Not only can anal glands get infected, they can also rupture. I have to do Jack's quite often. Jack is my pitty and was a rescue and very malnourished when we got him at 4 month old and his entire bum was protruded outward. Anal glands are shaped like a small hard egg. His glands are off center so they don't naturally express themselves when he poops. I generally have to do his every 4 weeks or so. It really just depends on how much I'm able to express out and which method I express them. Keep us updated on how his infection is progressing with the meds.

I put together an article on Anal Glands that is very informative. Anal Glad Care - Everything You Need to Know!

Last edited:
OP
Cheeseman05

Cheeseman05

Oct 16, 2013
Hello again, thanks for the help just an update for everyone...
Beef was on antibiotics and anti inflammatory and everything has been fine since this morning. I woke up to find he has a large red lump on his right hand side by his bum, another trip to the vets and they said it's his Anal gland again but this time it's pretty bad! I didn't think that this would come up overnight?! uploadfromtaptalk1395688079699.jpgI feel so sorry for him as it looks so sore! They said they have to put him under tomorrow as it may rupture. They quoted me at least 250pound, is this around the right mark? I don't mind paying it to help him out but just wanted your opinions :) I'll include a picture and hope to here back off anyone with similar problems.
Many thanks again, Adam and Mr Beefy.
7emeheqe.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
It does look like an anal about to rupture. Can't say about the price, as I am not in UK. Whatever the $, it needs to be taken care of. Poor fella', it was not that long ago that he had anal gland problem.

OP
Cheeseman05

Cheeseman05

Oct 16, 2013
Thanks for the reply, hopefully he'll last out til our appointment in the morning!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello again, thanks for the help just an update for everyone...
Beef was on antibiotics and anti inflammatory and everything has been fine since this morning. I woke up to find he has a large red lump on his right hand side by his bum, another trip to the vets and they said it's his Anal gland again but this time it's pretty bad! I didn't think that this would come up overnight?! View attachment 68484I feel so sorry for him as it looks so sore! They said they have to put him under tomorrow as it may rupture. They quoted me at least 250pound, is this around the right mark? I don't mind paying it to help him out but just wanted your opinions :) I'll include a picture and hope to here back off anyone with similar problems.
Many thanks again, Adam and Mr Beefy.
7emeheqe.jpg

OUCH... Poor baby..... [MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION] is in UK maybe she can help with costs.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Not sure how much anal glands are costing to do but we pay just about the same just for girls to be put under + whatever nerds to be done
Its not the cost that we need to justify-but the knowledge and the trust we have in our vets xxx
Im so sorry you all have to go through this -so far i never had infected glands , but i hope you your baby willl feel better soon xxx

OP
Cheeseman05

Cheeseman05

Oct 16, 2013
Thanks for the reply he's home now, all they did was Lance him and drain it out. He's a bit wobbly and feeling sorry for himself but hopefully he'll be better soon :)

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Sorry to see your doggy having all this trouble and you having to pay vet bills because of it.
Strongly suggest you be more proactive and get your dogs anal gland drained more frequently than you are.
We take Walley-Bubba to the groomers once every 6 weeks for this reason; to have his anal glands drained.
He also gets a bath and his nails clipped/buffed too.
For $30 he looks nice and smells even better and has not anal gland complications :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.