Endless Allergies

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Bufflyn (2011-2019)
Hey, we have had Bufflyn for about a year and half we live in canada so there is snow and it is cold all winter, we got her in the fall of 2012 as a puppy and she had no allergy problems then or through out the first winter, but after the snow started to melt and it was spring she got itchy and had some red spots on her chest and arm pits. We have taken her to the vet dozens of times and shes had allergy tests that come back showing that shes a little allergic to quite a few things but didnt test high or was not overly allergic to anything in particular. She was itchy on and off all spring summer and fall and we were trying different medicines and what not. In the end we thought it was grass or something outside because it didnt occur untill after the snow left her first year. but we are well into this winter she is still itchy and is still on medication for it. Right now she is taking benedryl and neoral on rotating days and seems to be not bad. but she is still itchy occasionally allthough her red spots on her body are gone it seems to be more her face now, several times shes scratched so much she has started to bleed from some of her face wrinkles. we have tryed different foods (even tho she has always had the same one from befor we got her) and are in the middle of switching to a vet diet one to try to help. There is still snow everywhere so were assuming its not a grass or flower type of allergy however when she comes in from outside is when she seems to be itchy still she scratches her face or rubs her face on the carpet the most it seems right when she comes in. As you can tell us and the vet have tried alot of different things and nothing is really working and we still have no answers as to what it is or how to fix it. i was wondering if anyone on here would have any thoughts or if anyone on here has had a similar problem. I just want to get it figured out so she doesn't have to be itchy anymore. any help would be appreciated

thanks
IMG-20130709-00375.jpg

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=5113]jlj781[/MENTION] We have similar problems. What helps Blue is Claritin. I've been giving him 10mg for the last week or so. It got rid of his hives, and he's also itching a lot less.

The other thing is we do is give him weekly baths with Douxo shampoo (the orange print bottle), and a daily wipe down with douxo pads.

If you decide to try it, get the 5mg 12 hour reditabs (NOT THE CHILDRENS CLARITIN OR ANY FLAVORED CLARITIN). Start with 5mg and see how it goes. Blue's 60lbs and 10mg's works best for him.

Benedryl works for alot of people here. But for us, all it did was make him sleepy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor Bufflyn.... Blueberrys mom gave you great info. Give the Claritin a try, hopefully that will help

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have also found that the right shampoo can help with the itchiness! Pharmaseb is an awesome shampoo as well as douxo mentioned above. Since using Pharmaseb my Bulldogs rarely itch anymore at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
jlj781

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks for the help the shampoo we use is already a special one from the vet, i cant remember the name right now but we might have to try another one or some clairiton. thanks again

OP
jlj781

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Well more bad news weve tried the clairiton for a while now and it doesnt seem to be helping. we are going to have to look at her food again i am guessing. She is on Arcana Pasifica right now which she has always been on since the day we got her, and the food we switched to to try was Royal Canin Veterinary Diet and after several weeks it seemed like nothing changed so we switched back to our original but Does anyone have any suggestions on a high quality allergy friendly food to try that maybe has less of the common allergy ingredients? or what we should be trying, i dont know where to go from here and i dont want to be buying a bunch of different ones and not having anything change for her. We are going to be taking her back to the vet again because of her watery itchy eyes and face and she has a patch of hair on her side that is going thin. Im not sure what the vet is going to say or figure out as weve already done allergy tests but i just want to get it figured out so she can be more comfortable and maybe not have to be on drugs all the time!! any other help or ideas would be appreciated thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor girl..... you said you did the allergy test? What were the results from a food standpoint?

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Mack has allergies really bad, we have tried tons of different foods, now is settled on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Duck and Legume. It seems like he needs no chicken, grains or potatoes so far this has been the best one for him.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We just changed Blue to Stella and Chewy's Raw. The Super Beef freeze-dried patties because of his allergies. No grains, no potato, no peas, no grains etc. I'm also running out of ideas..
I'm gonna give it a month and see how it goes. If it works, will send you a message @jlj781
[MENTION=6215]Noyes27[/MENTION] Oh, there's also a new drug called "APOQUEL". It's not a steroid, nor an anti-histamine. It only targets the itch and vet are very excited about it. Side effects are minor in long term studies.
If all else fails, we're going to be putting Blue on this. You should speak with your vet about it.

OP
jlj781

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ya weve had her allergy tested and it came back with her having low levels of allergy to quite a few different things but the vet said nothing high enough to be a clear allergy to any food. and thanks for the info well maybe look into a few different foods and ask about that apoquel.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Google leaky gut syndrome,my Annie had terrible allergies ,we managed them ok but when her breathing became compromised we had no choice but to put her to sleep,that was almost 2 yrs ago and a few months after losing her I found out about leaky gut syndrome ,I wished I had found it earlier,we now have another bulldog puppy ,it's very worrying thinking is this bully going to go the asme way,but our home just isn't the same without a bully !

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Thanks @blueberrysmom!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online