Winter Weather = PetSmart = Kennel Cough =(

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig recently caught the cough bug that's going around in our area. :blah: We started training school on Friday and he started coughing on Saturday evening, so most likely he caught it at the store. :(

Does anyone have experience with this? If so, how long did it last? He started with dry coughs but now progressed to phlegmy ones. His appetite's good and although he looks tired, he still plays with his toys and is alert and follows us around the house.

I feel so bad, but what's good is that at least he'll never catch this strain again.

Last edited:

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
My cat had kennel cough from the humane society where we got her. She would cough and sneeze so much that her nose would bleed. I cant remember for sure (it was like 6 years ago) but the vet put her on a med and then she was fine! I hope poor Stiggy feels better soon. Did you take him to the vet??

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
My mom adopted her dog Cookie from the local city shelter about a year ago. She took her to the vet after to get checked out, she had been coughing and the doctor told my mom it was kennel cough and it would go away on its own. I thought that was odd that they said it would just go away, not prescribe anything, but it did! My mom goes to a vet that is against over vaccinating, over medicating, they believe most vets out there over vaccinate and medicate to make money. So I guess I really shouldn't have been surprised. Anyways like I said it went away on its own and Cookie is a very healthy little girl. Of course I'm not saying that it will just go away on its own but in Cookies case it did, I would still say it would be best to take a visit to see the vet.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
No, I haven't taken him to the vet yet. I started him on some natural remedies him that were recommended by a good friend, a few drops of grapefruit seed extract in his water, half a tsp of colloidal silver 3x a day and a drop on oil of oregano between his toes on his front paws. Also bought a humidifier which I think eased his dry coughs.

I'm avoiding going to the vet for now because it felt like he was always on some sort of strong meds everyday for the first 3 months when we got him in addition to benadryl, such as antibiotics and mange meds, and feel that his body needs a little break. It's almost guaranteed that the vet will prescribe him more antibiotics just for precautionary reasons but not necessarily to treat the coughing. I was told that kennel cough goes away on its own too just like if we get a cough. I'll take him to the vet if, in the next few days, he gets worse or doesn't get better, but hopefully it won't come to that.

tdalton63

Aug 1, 2010
Schertz Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk and Chloe
My EB and Schnauzer mix were exposed on November 17 to Kennel Cough, they came down with the cough on November 26 and coughed through December 10. They no longer has any symptoms. My vet said it is 7-10 days from exposure for the dogs to exhibit symptoms and about 3 weeks for it to run its course and my pups fit right into that timeline. They were put on Anti-biotics as a precaution against Pnuemonia.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My only fear is that if it progresses (into upper respiratory infection or pneumonia). Watch for thick mucus, labored (fast) breathing, lack of appetite, dehydration. In my honest opinion, I would get it taken care of, and get Stig to the vet. Because with bullies--- and their short snouts, things can progress VERY quick. You certainly do not want it to get to that point, and many bullies die from Pnuemonia every year because it attacks them so quickly and it is hard to turn them around if they get that far. Please keep us updated, I just wanna give Stig a hug so bad right now!

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I agree with Desertskybulldogs my sisters pit had kennel cough and died about 3 weeks after he first showed signs of symptoms....I would rather be safe than end up with a very sick bully.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online