Help Needed! Spindle Cell Sarcoma

Dunkin

Jan 21, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Dunkin
Hey all,
My Bully Dunkin just had a tumor removed from upper pallet- it's a Spindle Cell Sarcoma cancer= http://nymag.com/fashion/lookbook/54073/
I am Cushed, He's 7 years old and they want to do Radiation, of which is an every day for 6 weeks procedure, at a cost of $7000 plus.... I just spent 3K to remove the tumor and I am so torn, financially I really can't afford the long term treatment- but the oncologist thinks this would drasticially kill the most of the remaining cancer, does anyone have any experience in this type of thing? there is cheaper option of 2k work of radiation- but no gurentee ? as with all cancers, also Bully's life is 7-10? I am torn on what to do?

DC+

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh my God.... So sorry for you and your baby. I have no experience, but will send you prayers.
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION].... What is the name of the lady on FB with cancer experience, Hera,??

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I am so very sorry to hear this. I have no experience with this but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to offer advice. I just wanted to say I will be praying for you and Dunkin. What a hard decision to have to make.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am so sorry to hear of your baby boy Dunkin's diagnoses. I have had experience with cancer in dogs, and they were usually a senior dog. I opted for removal in certain cases. I have not had experience myself, with this particular cancer, but my nieces dog had it in his mouth. He was an 8 year old Lab. He had surgery, but eventually it reappeared in another area. She kept him comfortable with pain meds as long as possible. He did not have radiation treatments. She could not really afford , and since her vet didn't give much hope that it wouldn't come again elsewhere, she opted to make him as comfortable as she could. It has to be totally your decision, but personally, I think I would let him live the rest of his life without drastic measures. I have not known many dogs-or people, who have had radiation treatments,that the cancer did not reappear somewhere else.
Sometimes the quality of life can mean more than the quantity. I have read of some people feeding them holistically, and said that carbs feed cancer. I don't know much personally about that. I would look on the internet for possible diets that may give him more time. If he were mine-I would be totally heartbroken (which I have been there) but I wouldn't want him to be tortured for what time he may have. I would try a holistic approach. I am so sorry, and I know this is so heartbreaking for you. We all will pray for you and Dunkin, and any decision you make. No one would ever judge you. We know you love your boy, as we love ours.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I am so very sorry to hear this news and terribly sad for you & Dunkin this is
happening...so not fair and certainly, undeserved. Putting y'all on my prayer
list right now and WILL pray every day for healing and for your strength, courage
& wisdom to know what to do. A very difficult and heartbreaking decision either
way, my sincerest sympathies. Only you know what your circumstances are and
what is best for you & your situation. For me, I would weigh his quality of life before,
during chemo and afterwards, also...the odds vs cost of achieving them. I have no
pet insurance on Cami, 6 yrs old and on disability income. I could not, with out help,
afford that bill and I do not believe in financial debt/ruin. This may sound harsh, please
know I mean no disrespect or hurt but, my thought is...we all die it's only a question of
when & how. My heart really hurts for you, I can only pray for you and I will do that.
EBN is a great support so please, feel free to keep us updated as you move thru this
challenging & difficult time no matter your decisions, we do not judge only care and
comfort you. Please do, keep us informed as to what is happening with you & Dunkin.
May you feel GOD's loving, compassionate arms wrapped around you and find Peace
there. Sending you hugs...I care deeply for your suffering, I know how much Dunkin
means to you. I had to put my cat, CoCo, to sleep last week due to illness, it hurts.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh my gosh… I'm so very sorry to hear about your baby. I don't have any experience w/that particular cancer, but growing up we had a dog that had a cancerous tumor that we had removed. Unfortunately the tumor returned w/a vengeance, and we ended up having to put her to sleep. I would suggest researching your options, maybe trying holistic approaches, and obviously the financial concerns. Nobody can make this decision for you, but know that we are praying for you & your baby. We are here for you no matter what you decide… :hug:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Oh my God.... So sorry for you and your baby. I have no experience, but will send you prayers.
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION].... What is the name of the lady on FB with cancer experience, Hera,??

Yes. Hera Bear. It was in her lungs...but she was seeing a holistic vet who was treating her for fungus in the lungs.

I'm sorry to hear about your baby. Just remember......the more expensive treatment doesn't guarantee anything either.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about this, sending prayers to you, your family and your bully baby... I cannot even begin to imagine how you feel right now. Hugs to you and sending prayers for strength and healing. :hug: :pray:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I am so very sorry to hear this, and what a very difficult decision you have got to make.

I do not have any experience or know of anyone who has but I am sending my prayers to you and will be thinking of you and Dunkin during this very difficult time. :hug:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
My boxer had a few cancerous tumours removed -at the age of 9 last one at age of 12 no one noticed that she got cancer again inside and we were to late-but im grateful for the 3 years we had with her and insurance -we were worried if insurance will cover it -and were prepared to take a loan
I never had experience with spindle cell sarcoma so i really cant advise you on that -i also wanted to add that im so sorry for you and your baby xx

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh, [MENTION=10887]Dunkin[/MENTION], I'm so sorry to hear about your baby and his condition. Do you think getting a 2nd opinion would be helpful here? That may help you a little in making a decision you are more comfortable with. Again, I'm so sorry and I too am thinking of Dunkin and you and sending you my prayers.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.