Buddy's tail pocket fiasco

Buddy32825

Jan 14, 2014
Oralndo, FL
Country
North America
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
OK, I decided to start a new thread instead of continuing in the welcome section, this may be a more appropriate spot, and maybe helpful to others in the future. (why doesn't the 'enter' button work in these forums .. it's really annoying) Anyways, Monday Jan 13th, I took Buddy to the vet bc he had a nasty tail infection that I tried every remedy possible but had no luck with. It stunk so bad he would bring tears to your eyes. The Dr. took him back to try to clean him but he was uncooperative and very sore back there and the skin was basically rotting so she said tail pocket removal was my best option.....OK. So she gives me some antibiotics for 2 days and I bring him back Wednesday for his surgery. Everything goes well, I pick him up Thursday along with a pharmacy of drugs (more antibiotics and painkillers) and take him home. Earlier that day they had to put him under to clean the operation site bc he was trying to bite them, so he was a little groggy when I got him and oozing a lot. A few hours after being home I tried a warm compress but he wasn't having it so I let him be. Friday and Saturday I was able to compress him for a minute or 2...not quite the 5 minutes the Dr. said. I've had to keep a keen eye on him bc, even though he can't reach his tail with his mouth, it doesn't stop him from trying and when he does he spins in circles. Sat evening he did it and tore his stitches. Fortunately he had healed enough that he didn't bleed or anything. So this morning my wife takes him back to the vet and they said it actually looked Ok and he was healing pretty well and they would redo his stitches. Then my wife called shortly after lunch saying Buddy was in the surgery room having his tail removed and they cleared it with me.....ummm no! I hadn't spoke to anyone at the vet at all today so you can imagine my surprise. My wife took him in and they said they would stitch him up and he'd be ready to go home tonight so no need for me to call. Well, I call them immediately and find out what's happening...the owner of the hospital (a Dr. ) and another vet Dr. are working on Buddy, I spoke with the one Dr. and she said they are covering all expenses for his tail removal (makes me wonder if the original Dr. of the tail pocket removal screwed up) She said the skin was just too tight and the stitches will rip again, but with the tail moved they'll have extra skin to work with and it will be better for him. They are keeping him for a couple days after this to let him heal there. So that's where we are now....I'll update this thread when I get more info.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
So, I'm slightly confused…Buddy actually did go in for tail removal on Wed, but then he had to have it redone today? Did they only do a partial tail removal on Wed and then with the complications you mentioned, realize they should remove the entire tail? What an ordeal for Buddy! I do wish him a successful recovery. Finn is recovering from his tail amputation right now too and I know my guy is very uncomfortable. When will you be able to take him home? Give him a big hug from us!

OP
Buddy32825

Buddy32825

Jan 14, 2014
Oralndo, FL
Country
North America
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Last wednesday, they originally did a tail pocket removal (just the excess skin around the tail) to get rid of his pocket so his back side would be smooth and his goofy itty bitty tail would stick out. Today since the stitches ripped bc there wasn't enough skin back there and It was being pulled to tight they decided to completely remove the tail and then stitch him up, hopefully with the extra skin from the tail his stitches won't be pulled so tightly now. They said they want to keep him until Wednesday or Thursday. I've been following your thread also, I hope Finn heals quickly!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Last wednesday, they originally did a tail pocket removal (just the excess skin around the tail) to get rid of his pocket so his back side would be smooth and his goofy itty bitty tail would stick out. Today since the stitches ripped bc there wasn't enough skin back there and It was being pulled to tight they decided to completely remove the tail and then stitch him up, hopefully with the extra skin from the tail his stitches won't be pulled so tightly now. They said they want to keep him until Wednesday or Thursday. I've been following your thread also, I hope Finn heals quickly!

ahhh…i gotcha. Poor boy. I know he will be just fine though…will take plenty of time for healing but Buddy will be so much better in the end (literally)! :hug:

OP
Buddy32825

Buddy32825

Jan 14, 2014
Oralndo, FL
Country
North America
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I just looked at the pics from Finns surgery and it's amazing what a difference it is. Makes my dog look like his back end was hacked up. Buddy must have over a hundred stitches. The stitches went all the way around his tail and off in different directions. Hopefully it will be much cleaner now.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Did Buddy get a drain put in also? sometimes they will need to do that. That's a lot of stitches but i believe Buddy's surgery was much more extensive than Finn's. It's probably a good idea that they are keeping him at the hospital for a few days b/c then he will be monitored and also kept calm there. Finn has been hyper and running around and I keep checking his stitches to make sure they are still intact. Buddy will be just fine once he recovers and he will feel so much better w/out those nasty tail infections!

OP
Buddy32825

Buddy32825

Jan 14, 2014
Oralndo, FL
Country
North America
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
hmmm...ok, I'm not sure what the comment thing is or how it works, I though it was like the reply button. Buddy wasn't given a drain. I agree, it's better for them to keep him while they have him. When his pain killers kick in he starts acting like nothing happened and jumping around. Can't wait to get through all this for him, I know it's very stressful for him.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so sorry Buddy has to go through all of this. I hope everything works out and he's back home soon.

OP
Buddy32825

Buddy32825

Jan 14, 2014
Oralndo, FL
Country
North America
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Just hung up with the Dr. that did the operation, she said everything went great. Appearantly, his tail corkscrewed about 2 inches in so he still could have had infections. She went in and completely removed the bone, and sewed him up nicely.....free of charge!! Amazing!! She told the original Dr. that if there is a problem with his healing she will do the surgery herself for free. She said sometimes dogs will heal Ok with the tail left intact, but most of the time it's better just to take the whole tail and smooth everything out back there. She said he should be OK to go home tomorrow.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just hung up with the Dr. that did the operation, she said everything went great. Appearantly, his tail corkscrewed about 2 inches in so he still could have had infections. She went in and completely removed the bone, and sewed him up nicely.....free of charge!! Amazing!! She told the original Dr. that if there is a problem with his healing she will do the surgery herself for free. She said sometimes dogs will heal Ok with the tail left intact, but most of the time it's better just to take the whole tail and smooth everything out back there. She said he should be OK to go home tomorrow.

What at a great and responsible vet!! Best of luck with Buddy's recovery....it is a though sight, but he is going to be much healthier and happier when all is cleared up

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like he will be good to go in a few weeks. That's good that they took care of it once and for all. This way you will not have to clean his tail pocket and he will never get an infection back there again. So happy he is doing well after the surgery.

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Oh my, what an ordeal. I cannot even imagine what you guys must have felt this whole time. Glad to hear that it is all working out, and you get your baby back soon! Good luck!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Prayers for Buddy, that he will finally heal up and start to feel GOOD!! He has been through quite an ordeal!

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
I'm sorry to hear of your issues with Buddy's tail pocket. But I'm glad to hear that he should be recovering soon and not have to deal with the infections anymore. I'm sure that will remove a lot of stress from your life as well as Buddy's.

My last Bulldog, Bruno, had a horrible tail pocket. But there was no "extra skin" around his tail. His tail actually corkscrewed from the base back into his body and then came back outward at the tip. So it was tightly pressed into his hind end. It's kind of hard to describe and I've never seen another Bulldog with a tail like his. He kept getting infections and his vet was to a point where she was ready to remove his tail if that particular infection didn't go away and stay away. Luckily I was able to get rid of it and keep it gone. At least once per week I used baby wipes over the tip of my finger to wipe out the brownish paste that would build up in the pocket and then I would use cotton balls to dry the pocket of the moisture from the baby wipes. Then I put a medicated powder into the pocket to help keep it dry. The only way I could get him to let me do this was to put him up onto a countertop or a table. Otherwise he hated his tail being touched. Thinking back about this he was a very trusting dog to let me mess with his tail like he did.

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear your Buddy is on the healing mend!

OP
Buddy32825

Buddy32825

Jan 14, 2014
Oralndo, FL
Country
North America
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone for the support and well wishes, getting my little buddy back today! Hopefully he's not too traumatized after all this. @pcchernard- yeah, I did the baby wipe thing for a while and it was pointless for Buddy, I would shower him, wash the pocket repeatedly and dry it out and within a few hours he would wreak to the point that your eyes would water. Same thing would happen with the baby wipes, and post baby wipes I tried everything from Desitin to Gold bond powder with no avail. I'm happy the doc was able to perform the surgery and remove his tail. Once he's healed it will be a world of difference for him...and me! He was constantly uncomfortable and his tail area was very sensitive. I'm looking forward to a happy bully. P.S. Bruno was a beautiful bully, may he rest in peace.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.