Hot spots

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
What do I do with hot spots ? Poor Sebastian scratches himself till he bleeds and I have no clue what to do help .... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
There's so many things that could be causing this.. Food, allergies, fleas, etc.

Can you let us know what he's eating, does he have any allergies you know of? Have you taken him to the vet yet?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Are you sure they are Hot spots? Maybe you need to have a skin scraping done?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Donna. I hope this helps.

SKIN CARE AWARENESS:

Hot spots are an irritating skin condition that affects countless dogs every year. Here, Dr. Henry Cerny, DVM, MS of Yankee Hill Veterinary Hospital, answers some common questions about hot spots.

What are hot spots on dogs and how can we detect them?

A hotspot (also known as pyotramatic or moist dermatitis) is a condition which involves an area of skin which has become inflamed and infected. The affected skin often appears as a moist, oozing, reddened area that is painful and very itchy to the dog. Hair loss may also be seen. Continued licking and chewing at the area by the dog worsens the condition dramatically.

What causes hot spots and can they be prevented?

Anything that causes itchiness of the skin can lead to the development of hot spots on dogs. Some common triggers are atopy (allergies to things in the environment such as grasses, trees, weeds, dust mites, etc), food allergies, fleas, mites, insect bites and skin wounds. A bacterial infection of the skin (typically caused by staph) develops by taking advantage of the damaged inflamed skin. The infection is often deep in the dog's skin and, in addition to the moist oozing appearance, an odor is often present.

How are hot spots treated?

The goal to treatment is to clear the bacterial infection, relieve the itching and pain, and identify and remove the underlying triggers if possible. The hair in and around the dog's hot spot is usually clipped to allow initial cleaning of the area and the application of topical medications. Topical treatment with sprays, creams or ointments to kill bacteria and help with pain and inflammation are often used. Oral antibiotics are usually prescribed for a course of three to four weeks and sometimes longer. Often a short course of corticosteroids (i.e. prednisone) is given to relieve the itching and pain due to the inflammation. Antihistamines may also be used to help with itchiness.

Would Vetericyn be helpful in the treatment of hot spots on dogs?

Yes. Vetericyn liquid or hydrogel can be applied topically to kill bacteria and help cleanse the wound and speed healing without depleting vital moisture from the skin. It has the additional benefits of being non-irritating, non-toxic and non-staining to your dog's skin or dog's haircoat.

OP
Enjnene

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Well Sebastian eats blue diamond food and when he saw the vet sat for his stomach problems they sprayed something on it and said it was from his wrinkle but he does not have a lot of wrinkles where the hot spot is

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I have heard of people using a combination of Listerine, mineral oil, and water, in equal parts and applying this to the hot spot. You can also get some chlorhexidine, dilute this, and apply some to the area and see if this will help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Got to keep them dry.... Listening does help, but first thing to do is shave the area to keep it clean and let the air get to it so it dries up. They are caused by weaken immune system, so there is probably an allergy that is the underlying cause

OP
Enjnene

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Hmmm wondering if allergies are what this whole sickness is ?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.