URGENT!!! sick english bulldog puppy

jlr130

Jan 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chuck
Hi everyone,

I am very new to this, so I hope I created a new thread correctly. My sweet 11 week old puppy Chuck has been diagnosed with pneumonia, and he is not doing well. I have had so many doctors and his breeder give me different opinions that I'm unsure of what advice to follow and how to make him better. Here are the facts about little Chuck's illness:

He was diagnosed with a very mild upper respiratory infection by our vet, and given zeniquin (antibiotic), clavomox (antibiotic), and prednisone (steroid). Six days into that regimen, he completely crashed. I rushed him to the emergency vet, and he stayed there overnight on oxygen and getting nebulizer treatments and copage (spelling?) every few hours. The vet there wants to do a tracheal wash to test what bugs are inside of him, but says there is a risk of doing such a test on him while he is so sick. The breeder says I should not have the wash done, because one of his litter mates just came down with the same thing and had a wash done. Her wash revealed that the bacteria was BOTH gram positive and gram negative. So the breeder says that the vet should just treat Chuck with antibiotics for both types of bacteria and not do the wash to test.

Sorry that is all so technical. I can barely make sense of it myself. At this point I just feel so helpless, and want to do whatever it takes to make my little man better. I am worried that I will choose the wrong course of action though. Does anyone have experience or advice? Any info would be appreciated.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so very sorry to hear your baby is so sick… I have no advice on this one, but I will tag some people that can help. Please keep us posted, and I will be praying that Chuck will pull thru :pray:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Wanted to say, I'm praying for your lil man and sending hugs of comfort & strength
for you. Please let us know what happens, we care! It makes sense if litter mate
has this, he does too so I'd avoid the wash & treat for both bacteria. Let's see what
others here say~GOD be with you.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with Carol, in that if one of his litter mates has the same thing, then the wash would be unnecessary and like the vet said it could put him at risk, since he's so sick. I would let the vet treat for both bacteria. I'm so sorry you're little guy is so sick, and I hope he responds to the medications soon, and gets better. Sending hugs, love and prayers to you and Chuck. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Since the emergency vet was thinking of doing the tracheal wash, have you had a chance to speak with Chuck's regular vet about this? I would think they'd want to treat him empirically , covering all suspected bacteria vs. putting Chuck thru the risk of a wash. Did his litter mate do well on the antibiotics? Hoping and praying that Chuck will pull thru. Please keep us updated on what transpires. :pray::hug:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Before time runs out, I would definately find out who the OTHER pups vet is-who did the wash-get his number, and have MY vet call and speak to him. I would dial the phone for him-if I had to. Time is of the essence. Do it!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How awful to hear about your baby, I sure hope he gets better and fast. I really have no advice but seems like going all out at this point is your only option with the antibiotics, I sure hope it works. Hugs to you I cannot imagine what you are going through right now. :hug:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with the others, I would not do the wash, but have the vet treat both bacteria, plus keep him the nebulizer treatments to help break that crap up. I sure hope your baby pulls through this and gets better soon. We will keep him in our thoughts.

OP
J

jlr130

Jan 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chuck
Thank you so much to everyone for your kind words and advice. Just visited Chuck at the vet. We have decided to treat him for both types of bacteria without doing the wash. Didn't want to put his little body through that trauma. His sister is responding well to that sort of treatment, so hopefully he will as well! So heartbreaking to see him hooked up to an iv in an oxygen chamber. He still wagged his tail when he saw me come in though, even being as sedated as he is. Such a sweet little boy. The vet still says "if he goes home" instead of "when he goes home" which terrifies me, but I think they are giving him the very best care they can.

The vet has told me that because he has such a small trachea (they say it is very small even for a bulldog), this will likely continue to be an issue for the rest of his life. From what I've read online though, it seems like bulldogs will often outgrow these issues and go on to lead healthy adult lives.

Chuck will spend the night at the vet again tonight. I will update his status tomorrow. Does anyone have tips for once I bring him home? To help the healing process and avoid having this happen again? I have seen some things online about steam treatments and lemon juice. Sorry to ask so many questions. I have raised many dogs but am a complete rookie with an english bulldog. I attached a picture of little chuck as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1615.jpg
    IMG_1615.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 153

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Aww, Chuck is adorable<3 I'm sorry to read that he's sick:( I don't have any experience with this but I just want to say I'll be thinking of your little guy hoping he gets better very soon:)

kim3farnsley

Jan 20, 2014
I have a 5 yr old that very prone to pneumonia. He actually gets it from drinking water to quickly. I would not do the wash! I know how you feel right now! I've actually never let him stay at the vet! I do the nebulizer and meds along with pedialyte with a seringe. He would get to stressed out if we made him stay. He's very attached to me. It's very scary I know! We actually had him at the vet Saturday and they wanted to keep him then as well. But I've got him almost back to normal on my own. I just think they relax more when at home! If I can answer any questions please let me know! Good luck with your baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chuck is such a sweety, thank you for sharing this pic. I am so sorry you are going through this. Buster had pneumonia when he was a pup and he was put on meds and constant vet visits but it all worked out and he has been fine ever since. One thing we had to do was, our vet had us turn on the shower to super hot and to stand with him and let the steam help to clear out his passages. I believe that you are right bulldogs do outgrow issues like this and go on to lead normal lives. You are making the right decision by treating both of the bugs and not putting him through any more trauma . I think some of this might have something to do with all of the meds he's been given and all of the poking and prodding he's been going through and that's why I say you're making the right decision. I pray and hope he will feel better soon and everything will be fine and he will be able to go back home. Stay positive.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The gang has given great advice so I am just adding prayers and positive thoughts that Chuck has a quick recovery.

please keep us posted and prayers are being sent

:hug:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sounds like they are doing everything for him. I had a child who was very sickly-if he got a cold-he would get pneumonia. Was in hosp several times. We kept a humidifier in his room-and also did the shower/steam as David suggested. Perhaps, when Chuck gets home-you can ask your vet if a humidifier would help. So glad they are having a plan to treat him as they are! Praying for your little fella'. He is so cute! Be strong, Chuck!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm glad your vet decided on the antibiotics. I know it's scary seeing your Chuck in his oxygen tank and with IV's but it sounds like he's getting the treatment he needs. When Tate was 10wks old he also was in an O2 tank after he electrocuted himself. It was very scary and touch and go for a couple days but he pulled through, and I know Chuck is a fighter and he will pull through this too. Stay strong and we are here for you.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.