aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Poor Lola. limp is gone! but now she's had diarrhea for 4 days. She was crated for a few days to rest for her limp. Friday (day 3 of crating) we both had to work, so she spent the day in the crate alone. Maybe that caused some stress. When Ben got home from work, she had diarrhea like 3 times that evening. We fed her raw patty as usual AND i gave her the first dose of NSAIDs from the vet for her limp. This drug, metacam, can cause diarrhea but she already had it before first dose. Her second dose was saturday night with raw patty again.

Friday all night, saturday all night were both every two hours outside to poop. Went from pure water to runny pudding. She has been on bland diet (rice and baked tilapia) for 4 meals so far, three (Sunday twice and this morning) with a spoonful of pumpkin. Last night, she only had to go out at 4am and 8am this morning; Her poops have been slightly less frequent, and slightly less like water. But she is drinking water, eating food, and wanting to play like normal. And there has been no vomiting, so I am thinking it probably isn't an obstruction. Plus there was nothing but her mat, blankets, peanut butter, and a deer antler in the crate with her. She is straining when she poops, so maybe something is in there that needs to come out. I really don't know.

We are happy that she is not limping, and have stopped the NSAID treatment after two doses because of the diarrhea. But hubby and I leave in a few days and our friend is house/dog sitting. I'd like to have Lola feeling better before that life changing event. :(

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It sounds to me like Lola has diarrhea from all her meds… have you talked to your vet? I'm wondering if he can give her something else...

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
It sounds to me like Lola has diarrhea from all her meds… have you talked to your vet? I'm wondering if he can give her something else...

Agree with Tracy and I think I'd just give white rice with boiled, drained hamburger.
The fish might be a lil rich on her tummy just now. Again, I rec'comend Slippery Elm,
it settles the tummy while healing it. Find at health food stores or order from Amazon.
Great for sore throats, vomiting & diarrhea. It eases discomfort very much as it coats
everything and prevents further inflammation and/or pain as it HEALS the issue. Use
it for y'all too, y'all love this VERY SAFE herb.

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Yes, we stopped the metacam after the two doses on Fri and Sat. The vet just emailed me this morning asking how Lola was, and I just wrote back and gave him the poopy news. We use tilapia because Lola is allergic to chicken, and throws up cooked beef alot. Her raw NVI patties are quite bland too, though, so maybe I will give her a couple small medallions with some rice for dinner. I just hope she is feeling better by the time we leave. I'd hate to leave a sick puppy with a friend. poor lola (although she acts as if nothing is wrong). she's sleeping on the couch in her sweater :) love her.

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
wow I am so absent minded sometimes. Called the vet, who prescribed her metronidazole for the diarrhea. Its an antibiotic+antiinflammatory and it is used to treat giardia as well. I asked him to call it into my drugstore which is across the street and that lovely man did. BUT, I have some already from when Lola got her palate surgery! just gave her one with a baby raw nugget and rice. Vet said should kick in within 24 hours. i really hope she feels better soon! thank you all for your replies! i am worried when I should be working! and Lola is poo-ing when she should be napping!

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
wow I am so absent minded sometimes. Called the vet, who prescribed her metronidazole for the diarrhea. Its an antibiotic+antiinflammatory and it is used to treat giardia as well. I asked him to call it into my drugstore which is across the street and that lovely man did. BUT, I have some already from when Lola got her palate surgery! just gave her one with a baby raw nugget and rice. Vet said should kick in within 24 hours. i really hope she feels better soon! thank you all for your replies! i am worried when I should be working! and Lola is poo-ing when she should be napping!

Oh Sweetie, who can think straight when our babies are ill?
Is she allergic to turkey~weird how some are allergic to chicken but not turkey,
but I think your raw medallions & white rice is good too :) Poor lil love, sure hope
the meds kick in asap, am praying for her and y'all. Please let us know how she is.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I hope that medicine kicks in and she feels better. Carol is so right! When something's wrong with these babies you cant think about anything else.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ah man.... Get the meds to help the pain and they cause more issue.. I sure help she is doing better tonight

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
well we had liquid poo about every two/three hours until 4:30. She didn't get the new meds until noon with a small amount of food. She ate some dinner just about 30 minutes ago (rice, two small NVI raw patties, pumpkin) and is now napping. the more she sleeps, the less she is pooping, i guess :pray2:

will give a second dose of metronidazole for the diarrhea around 10pm (every 12 hours). thankfully i could take today off and my husband is taking tomorrow off. poor wooper.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
April, hoping Lola's diarrhea will diminish soon. The metronidazole should help her and she needs a lot of rest. Poor thing!

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
OMG, a day and a half on the metronidazole and NO DIARRHEA!! No poop is good poop!!! (hehe ..get it, no news is good news!?)

Lola has been eating small amounts of NVI venison raw patties (her normal food) mixed with white rice three times a day, and a pill twice a day. Tomorrow I should get her first real solid poo in 5 days! *sigh of relief* Went from diarrhea every two hours to finally absorbing her nutrients and liquid.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sounds like some good news! I got it! No poop is good poop(for now...) :no::poo::yes:

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
LOL, methinks someone is giddy from relief and no rest~worrying about Lola :(

Thank you for letting us know the great news...YEA!!! Y'all get some sleep now!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Happy to hear Lola is not pooping runny anymore, medication are a pain at times when they cause other problems

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So glad she's feeling better!!
And so glad that limp has gone too!