MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Help please

About a week ago I noticed a small bald patch on Meeko and the skin looked black and raised slightly.
I thought perhaps he had bumped himself running around.

Now his fur has a few bald patches and scabs/sore areas and it seems an area of black skin under the furr (see pics)
He is acting normal
eating and drinking normal
stools are healthy shape & size
No food has changed
ive checked for any signs of worms/fleas and can't see anything

im terrified as first thing that came up on google said cancer.

To add; about a month ago we found a mouse in the house with droppings in and around the dog biscuits. We are not sure how long Meeko had been eating the food before we found the mouse problem. The food is changed and the mouse problem has gone now and as a precaution used flea and worm treatment.

20140120_132319.jpg20140120_132350.jpg20140120_132355.jpg

Last edited:
OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
P.s just wanted to add.. sorry I havnt been on here in a looong time. Hope you all had a great xmas and new year and il be sure to stick around and make time to come on here more often xxx

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have no idea what that is… could be allergies, or a skin infection?!! I would take him to the vet for a skin scrape because it looks as though some of his hair looks thinner in areas, like a patch of something… As tempting as it is, PLEASE don't google the symptoms!!! I do it to, and it always gives me a heart attack :eek: Good luck and keep up posted!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It's round like ringworm, could be mange but I don't think so. Best to have the vet do a scrape to find out for sure. Welcome back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
P.s just wanted to add.. sorry I havnt been on here in a looong time. Hope you all had a great xmas and new year and il be sure to stick around and make time to come on here more often xxx

welcome back.. I agree with Lisa, get to the et for a scrape, could be mange

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would let a vet look at it, could just be from allergies, but also could be mange. Glad you are back, and please keep us posted.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I agree with the above, get a scrape, Vegas had mange and I was so :eek: HOW DID THIS HAPPEN??????, but it did, I thought it was all about being clean, which I AM, but they still get it.

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Thanks all. He has an appointment at the vets today so will hopefully get an answer. One of my friends is training to be a vet and I sent her the pics and she said seasonal allergies where the skin is black underneath the bald patches and because its along his sides.. has anybody ever herd of this? She said bulldogs boxers and a few other breeds more commonly get. The redness has gone now so I think I irritated it when I was bathing and brushing him but its still patchy furr with black skin!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thanks all. He has an appointment at the vets today so will hopefully get an answer. One of my friends is training to be a vet and I sent her the pics and she said seasonal allergies where the skin is black underneath the bald patches and because its along his sides.. has anybody ever herd of this? She said bulldogs boxers and a few other breeds more commonly get. The redness has gone now so I think I irritated it when I was bathing and brushing him but its still patchy furr with black skin!

Bella would get seasonal alopecia… she would have thin hair on her sides, but I honestly don't remember it being black. She was a brindle, so her skin had patches of black anyway. I would give her benadryl on her really bad days, but I never had allergy testing done for her.

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
Jenna had something like that she would get a few on her back about a year or so ago...took her to the vet and she thought it was from her food...gave her a antibotics and i changed her food no problem since

Bobby Voss

May 16, 2013
Longview Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Callie Roxanna
It looks like a form of staph. We have an American bulldog and she has bumps similar to those. She's on medicine for it.

Bobby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I never seen anything like this -hot spots are usually more sore /in some cases dry (saying that Shy had few weird looking ones due to allergies i hope your vet will be able to help Meeko xxx

BraeNielsen

Jan 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Reginald Spaz and Delilah
Sometimes if the skin is black and the fur s thinning it could be thyroid issues. I would ask your vet about that as well.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=6330]MeekosMummy[/MENTION]

Any update?

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Sorry Cheryl only just seen this ive been at work.

No updates yet - the vet appointment got cancelled (it was chaos the motorway and a roads were closed due to a few car accidents so couldnt get there) its re booked for this week.

Iv been using an anti fungal skin cream on it (I read somewhere its the same cream as vets prescribe for ringworm and skin fungal infections and is safe on dogs) just incase it was ringworm or mange and the scabs and lumps have completely gone its just bald patches now so I dont know what to do!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.