Help Needed! What could be wrong back there

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Hi everyone, I could could use some advice. Sherman is having some of the same symptoms he had about 8 months ago, then cleared up. He will play or run around then suddenly sit down really fast. He will also turn around quickly and try to bite his foot. Although his foot is not the problem. Last time we took him to a neurologist and the recommended an MRI. Right about the same time we noticed a rash about his tail pocket that was really bad, bleeding bumps. His vet treated that and theses crazy symptoms went away too. Not the are back. He seems really uncomfortable. He does have a tight tail pocket and I keep it cared for. He really wants us to rub his back a lot. I don't know whether it is itchy back there or there is a nerve or muscular problem. Anybody see these symptoms in their bully? Hate to spend $2500 on an MRI but I don't think the docs know what it is. Sure would appreciate any ideas you guys might have. Thanks

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm so sorry you're going through this with Sherman. Has your vet totally checked out his tail pocket area to rule out any infections? Or could it be an anal gland problem. I would have those areas thoroughly checked out first before making a decision to do a MRI, since they are so expensive, especially since his foot is not affected, and he's not showing any other neurological symptoms like seizures or tremors, or balance problems. I hope it isn't something serious and you find the problem. Could it be itchy due to food related allergies? What type of dogfood is Sherman eating? Has he been tested for worms or other parasites that could cause itching in the back area? I would try ruling out these things first before going with an expensive MRI procedure. Good luck. Please keep us posted.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I completely agree with Monica, she's given great advice. I think you might have him check his tail pocket again. I would get a second opinion for sure before getting an MRI done especially after the vet said he wanted to do one and then realized it was a pocket infection. Please keep us posted.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My Maude will act like that if she has an itch that she cannot reach, or if she has pooped and needs to be cleaned. She does not have a tail pocket, but when she does that, I either clean her butt, or scratch between her legs-or on her back at top of her tail-then she is usually satisfied. Be sure you extra-check his tail pocket for hairs or debris. Could be (hope so) as simple as that, or anal gl. as has been stated above. Could even be ONE flea.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
WOW I have no idea on this one… I will tag some members that have been dealing w/tail pocket issues to see their thoughts on this. Good luck!!!

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I agree with [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] Daisy will do weird quick movements if her booty needs cleaned better. She has a habit of eating strings and some times she cant poop them all the way out. Hopefully its something simple like that!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Oh yeah, STRINGS! Like the old pull the string talking baby dolls! Or thick blades of grass out the a$$!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What you are describing is an itch they cannot reach, sometimes even a booty scratch helps. Right now with heaters, fireplaces, and dry air in the house it's not uncommon for them to be itchy in general, salmon or coconut oil and lots of fluids..... my furkids don't drink enough in the winter and it's sooooo dry, I give them ice cubes often as a treat to entice them to drink.

Tail pocket bacteria can also be clear and not always brown or reddish, and they can itch in their pocket with just a bit of moisture or sweat. Gold bond powder is your friend for that itchy pocket.

Just like a human booty, any sweat or moisture can cause an itchy bottom! (trying to say that in the most appropriate way!)

An MRI? No way.....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with all the others..... Banks does this a lot too, and it is almost always her pocket needing a wipe, or her belly near the girlie parts

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Nothing to add further b/c you received fantastic feedback re. this. With my boy Finn, he will do these quick, jarring backward motions to try to reach his butt when it's bothering him. Almost always was a tail pocket issue. Right now he's recovering from partial tail amputation so he's doing that more often.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.