OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
He was a lot more playful this morning. He are all his food in a snap...I have not heard him cough since yesterday, so hopefully it's a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
He was a lot more playful this morning. He are all his food in a snap...I have not heard him cough since yesterday, so hopefully it's a speedy recovery.

That's great news!!! Keep us posted on your little one...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Great news, so glad he's already feeling better!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
VERY good news for you and Ace! Make sure you give him meds. until it's gone. Soon he will be a happy boy feeling good and getting into EVERYTHING!! And you will love it!!

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
This exact thing happened to June at this exact age too. We'd had her about 2 weeks (so she was 10 weeks old) and she would cough at night. She'd be fine during the day so we kept thinking she was fine, of course until night time when she would have the cough attacks again. She would just cough and then lay down wherever she was. Took her into the vet first thing on a Monday morning and she had no temp, and the vet said it was just a cough. She told me to give her some benedryl and gave us a cough suppressant that we cut in half for her. It was like over the counter Robitussin to give every 4-6 hours as necessary. Well it didn't get much better, and sounded a little worse even so Wednesday evening my bf and I decided to take her to the ER vet. It was after hours at our vet and we wanted a different opinion. Well $250 and x-rays later... same diagnosis- just a cough. We are first time dog owners and i'd read so much online about them getting pneumonia, so I jumped the gun on doing the x rays. She still had no fever and her lungs looked fine. The ER vet said it was just an upper respiratory infection and would just take time. She also didn't want to prescribe meds for such a young puppy because that could do more harm than good. Go figure the next day she was totally fine!! So all in all it was about a week of the coughing. We just made sure she had plenty of water, and even put warm water in her food to help (we still do this now). Hopefully the same goes for Ace :)

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
This exact thing happened to June at this exact age too. We'd had her about 2 weeks (so she was 10 weeks old) and she would cough at night. She'd be fine during the day so we kept thinking she was fine, of course until night time when she would have the cough attacks again. She would just cough and then lay down wherever she was. Took her into the vet first thing on a Monday morning and she had no temp, and the vet said it was just a cough. She told me to give her some benedryl and gave us a cough suppressant that we cut in half for her. It was like over the counter Robitussin to give every 4-6 hours as necessary. Well it didn't get much better, and sounded a little worse even so Wednesday evening my bf and I decided to take her to the ER vet. It was after hours at our vet and we wanted a different opinion. Well $250 and x-rays later... same diagnosis- just a cough. We are first time dog owners and i'd read so much online about them getting pneumonia, so I jumped the gun on doing the x rays. She still had no fever and her lungs looked fine. The ER vet said it was just an upper respiratory infection and would just take time. She also didn't want to prescribe meds for such a young puppy because that could do more harm than good. Go figure the next day she was totally fine!! So all in all it was about a week of the coughing. We just made sure she had plenty of water, and even put warm water in her food to help (we still do this now). Hopefully the same goes for Ace :)

Great to hear yours did well! My wife said Ace has been playing with the kids all morning with no issues. Totally different from yesterday. Te vet did tell me last night that steaming up the bathroom and having them in there for a little while could help him. He still running some clear mucus. Considering I didn't do X-rays to rule out pneumonia, I guess it would be safe to say he doesn't have it cause of his major change of activity level today. I'm giving him warm water on his kibble to soften it up. Thanks everyone for the support and comments!

I'm definitely gonna look into pet insurance!

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Ace's energy levels back to normal. He was playing great all this evening. Ate his food like he was starving :). I left a message for the vet to call me back on what he thought if I truly needed the xray to rule out pneumonia, he didn't return my call today. He is still draining from his nose. A sneeze here and there. I'll follow up with him tomorrow..

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Update: Thanks to everyone and your support. Ace seems back to normal. Today I really didn't see drainage or even heard him sneeze outside. He's full of energy. He continues on Clindacure antibiotic twice per day. Today I taught him how to obey the sit command in a matter of 10 minutes. I came 5 hours later and tested him again, and he got it! Woohoo! Thank you everyone!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
So glad to hear Ace is on the mend!!! We need more pics of that baby... Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update: Thanks to everyone and your support. Ace seems back to normal. Today I really didn't see drainage or even heard him sneeze outside. He's full of energy. He continues on Clindacure antibiotic twice per day. Today I taught him how to obey the sit command in a matter of 10 minutes. I came 5 hours later and tested him again, and he got it! Woohoo! Thank you everyone!

so glad he is doing better..... did the vet ever call you back about xrays?

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
so glad he is doing better..... did the vet ever call you back about xrays?

No, we had decided not to do X-rays, unless we saw him decline in condition. But if pneumonia was the case, he would've been down and probably running fevers.

Members online

No members online now.