Neutering.. Aurg! Links?

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Kevin is scheduled to get neutered on Feb 14. (ironic?).. He'll be 4 months old.

I know there is a HUGE debate on "when should i neuter my EB?" but i'm looking for some good links with actual information.

Having gone through the emotional roller coaster of taking care of a dog with hip dysplasia (RIP Frankie!) i want to make sure i know all the facts (if there are any facts) about slowing growth plate closure on males neutered early.

Like every thread on this subject... i have people telling me different things... I just want to make sure i don't over look anything that could possible affect Keven later on.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I went through the same thing, and found absolutely nothing showing that neutering a male dog early has any type of health benefits.
When I brought it up to my vet, she had to think about it for a minute and said the same thing, no health benefit to the dog. She did mention that it's a better for social reasons as many castrated dogs tend to become aggressive around intact ones.
But that's it.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I cant answer this for you as Ftse was two in November and we have not had him neutered yet maybe we are bad parents but I am too scared to put him under in case anything goes wrong if he needs to have something done I will probably get it done then or if it causes any problems I will then but Ftse does not go outside alone and in the street he is always on a leash so I really can not see any problems I guess there are a lot that don't agree with it but I am just too scared to take the risk.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I went through the same thing, and found absolutely nothing showing that neutering a male dog early has any type of health benefits.
When I brought it up to my vet, she had to think about it for a minute and said the same thing, no health benefit to the dog. She did mention that it's a better for social reasons as many castrated dogs tend to become aggressive around intact ones.
But that's it.

Agree...I've had many, many rescues & strays and never had any health problems
from NOT neutering and being responsible, never had any get out and father pups.
Never had any problems with unwanted behavior but again, I train early & am pack
leader in my house and had many a stubborn & challenging breed~no problems!
Have exhaustively studied this issue and read actual, scientific papers (I'll try and
find them) many Vets are now changing their minds about early spay & neuter and
studies are confirming many heath problems incurred by this practice, in both male
and female dogs. Especially in the large & giant breeds and/or heavy boned breeds,
such as bulldogs. The practice is more for the ease and convenience of the vets and
initially, quicker, easier & less hard on the dog/cat but really...doing this to babies?
Many people are now opting to do tubal ligations on their females so they get full
benefit & protection of their hormones, life long and same with males. It's more
expensive & difficult finding Vets willing to do it. Research until YOU have decided
the issues for yourself as you might just change your beliefs on this~GOD bless!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
4 months is kind of young.... Our vet always said anytime after 6 months

TastetheRainbow

Jan 14, 2014
Killeen, TX
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Erebus
I have never had experience with neutering an EBD however, we used to have our large breed dogs neutered at 2 months when I was growing up. My mom noticed a lot of issues with the dogs (She raised Huskies.) and started waiting. In my experience it's best to wait until two. My Doberman won't be getting spayed until she is 2 years and my trainer doesn't like it either because she is being trained as a service dog but I feel it is extra important to wait until the dog is done growing before having them altered.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.