Panicking!!!!

TastetheRainbow

Jan 14, 2014
Killeen, TX
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Erebus
I am seriously panicking right now. Without my knowledge my mom gave my little guy a rawhide bone, apparently it was a small one like what she gives her Chihuahua's and he swallowed it whole. Since then he's been throwing up and has had watery poop. I'm scared to death that it's lodged somewhere in there. I called the vet he said to give him mineral oil and wait 48 hours, if he hasn't passed it or puked it up to bring him in however that's where the problem comes in. Last month we had taken a pup from someone who was going to take him out and shoot him because he was blind, deaf and had parvo. We didn't realize how bad it was and even after spending thousands he passed away, WHICH is why we were looking to add another pup to our household. I did NOT expect to need a vet this quickly after adopting this guy and our emergency fund is drained.

Is there anything I can do to help coax this thing to pass other then mineral oil? My god I can't do this again. :( I know it was stupid on my part. I should have built up my emergency fund again before getting another pup but the opportunity was right there and it wasn't one I could pass up. I really don't know what to do right now. :cry:Again, I know it was stupid, please I don't want to be yelled at right now, I need help.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Oh no! Big hugs to you. I know how scary this can be.

There's really not much you can do besides take him to the vet if the dog is still vomiting/diarrhea/no appetite. I would go ahead and just take him to the vet - explain to him your financial situation - I'm sure he'll understand as he got your money the last time - and see if he can put you on a payment plan for whatever cost the vet visit comes out to be. He'll probably order an x-ray and then it might not be too bad.

Hope everything turns out okay!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Nope, no yelling here, just a lot of concern for your bully and hugs to you. I would just follow what your vet has instructed you to do with the mineral oil. Did you give him some yet? Definitely, take him to see the vet if he is still showing signs of any distress--the vomiting, the diarrhea, lethargy. Do not force him to eat anything to "coax" the rawhide out b/c if he's throwing up, giving him some food may make things worse. And like anatess mentioned, please do speak with your vet; many times they are willing to work with the patient in setting up some sort of financial payment plan. Or have you heard of Care Credit? look into that and see if you can apply. Right now, the important thing is to bring your little guy to the vet to get checked out if he's continuing to experience the symptoms you have described. Please keep us posted! :hug:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, hugs and love for you and your guy. My EB Dozer has swallowed socks, dish cloths, toys, he's my bully goat and eats anything that's not nailed down. He's always been able to either throw it up or poop them out. He's only once shown signs of obstruction like diarrhea, vomiting and drooling water from his mouth. It usually takes about a week for them to pass the objects they swallow. The last sock Dozer swallowed took a whole month. I've read of some members giving their dog a piece of bread to eat, and my vet always gives me a high fibre dog food to feed Dozer to help him move the sock out. I'm sorry you're going through this with your guy, and I hope he's able to pass it out On his own. Your vet may let you make payments, and some members on here use a card that is like a medical credit card, I'm not sure what its called, but that may be an option. Hopefully someone who knows what this is called comes along soon and can give you advice on what the card is called. Good luck Hun, and please keep us posted on how he's doing. Hopefully he will throw it up.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
You have been given good advice so far, I'll tag a few kore ppl that might b able to help as well. I do hope all turns out ok. It really can be so scary. Lots of hugs to you! [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION], [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION], [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Because it IS small, hopefully he will pass it. It is a wait & see situation tho.
I'd do as your Vet suggests altho if he shows distress of any kind, take him
in. Explain your situation to the vet, I think they will work with you. I'm very
sorry what has happened prior and now, this too. Try to calm yourself and
remain hopeful, this is not a foregone conclusion it will end badly. GOD bless
and favor y'all in this and all things. Please let us know about your bully.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
PLEASE don't panic!!! My bully Bella swallowed a HUGE rawhide one time, at first she was choking on it… and when my hubby tried to pull it out of her mouth she swallowed it!!! We about freaked out, but she was absolutely FINE!!! I watched her like a hawk for days (this dog also swallowed a live baby bird… LOL) and she was eating & pooping like normal. And of course she was wondering what all the fuss was about… LOL. I would do as your vet advised, and just keep an eye on her… Most vets offices do offer care credit, so that should ease your mind somewhat. Please keep us posted, we are here for you!!! :hug2:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I always jump the gun which is why my medical bills for Vegas and Orion are huge. I would be freaking out about a blockage. I think if they swallow something and you want them to puke it up....hydrogen peroxide. But I think it has to happen fairly quickly after the swallowing. Good luck.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
In this case I would not induct vomiting as it could cause aspiration or the rawhide could get stuck. I would watch him closely and if he gets worse or lethargic, take him in immediately. There is credit care if he needs surgery, plus I'd tell mom she can put up some money too, and to never, ever, give a rawhide to a bully. Sorry you are going through this and I hope your baby gets through this OK.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
We have Care Credit for our babies and it has helped tremendously! It is a medical credit card basically but it can also be used for humans as well. Its a great way to get that help when you need it! Look in to it. www.carecredit.com.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
So sorry you are going through this! Please keep us posted on his progress. I can say first hand after an alarming incident with my dog, that no one here will pass judgment, everyone will only offer love and support.

OP
TastetheRainbow

TastetheRainbow

Jan 14, 2014
Killeen, TX
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Erebus
Update: He threw up three more times last night before settling in to sleep. Still has watery poop but he wanted to eat this morning so I talked to my vet again an he said to give him a SMALL portion of food to see how he handles it. It's been about 3 hours since he ate, no puke. Poops are still like water and he has not passed the bone yet. As far as having my mom pay the bill or a portion of it, I can't. My mom doesn't have a job, she is disabled so she really doesn't have any money. No vets in our area are willing to work with ANYONE...Trust me, we've gone through this when a friends cat was hit by a car, they were homeless at the time and we called literally every vet in the area. They want payment up from and will accept no less. Myself and my husband have both been declined for care credit...and of course everything goes wrong while he's deployed -sigh- I'm praying this thing passes.

OP
TastetheRainbow

TastetheRainbow

Jan 14, 2014
Killeen, TX
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Erebus
Also, I'd like to thank everyone for the support and well wishes. I was really afraid to post here because I have seen members of other forums get torn apart for something like this.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Also, I'd like to thank everyone for the support and well wishes. I was really afraid to post here because I have seen members of other forums get torn apart for something like this.

Which is why I LOVE this forum no one judges here we only try to help and give encouragement and support and there is NO drama!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online