Help Needed! Winslow's funky lookin' eye

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I'm pretty sure this is bothering me more than it is Winslow.. but his third lid seems even more inflamed today and I'm thinking I want to bring him to be seen. I am sooo bad at knowing when it's a "wait and see" thing versus a "need to be seen now!" thing.

If anyone wants to weigh in, you're more than welcome. :)

20140116_082531.jpg

His boogers have since been cleaned haha.

20140116_082506.jpg

20140116_082348.jpg

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Is the third lining protruding out of the eye? Cherry eye maybe? If you could take a picture it would be great. Brutus had cherry eye repair in both eyes. If it is protruding you may be able to go to the corner of the eye and gently close the eye and try to massage it back in. I would like to see a pic first though so I can tell if it is cherry eye. Cherry eye does not hurt them, but the longer it is left out it will be harder to massage back in.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Is the third lining protruding out of the eye? Cherry eye maybe? If you could take a picture it would be great. Brutus had cherry eye repair in both eyes. If it is protruding you may be able to go to the corner of the eye and gently close the eye and try to massage it back in. I would like to see a pic first though so I can tell if it is cherry eye. Cherry eye does not hurt them, but the longer it is left out it will be harder to massage back in.
It's not popping out of the corner like a bubble, it's like the lid is covering more of his eyeball, looks much more red and a bit inflamed.

Did the pics not load? I attached 3 from photobucket but I had some issues with it yesterday and had to mess with it a little.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Based on my own experience, when Blue had Cherry eye, it was protruding even though it was still very mild. This doesn't look like it to me. It could just be inflamed due to irritation of some kind.

I'd probably call my vet and see if they could recommend some kind of over the counter drops to try before bringing him in.

BUT, it could also be pink eye? [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It's not popping out of the corner like a bubble, it's like the lid is covering more of his eyeball, looks much more red and a bit inflamed.

Did the pics not load? I attached 3 from photobucket but I had some issues with it yesterday and had to mess with it a little.
Ugh..I am on my work computer and sometimes it does not show the pictures. I guess they want me to actually work! anyway, I will look at it from my phone in a bit. It sounds like maybe a bug bite or something like that. Will he let you put a warm soak on it? I think that will help. If it is a clogged tear duct the warm soak will help. If it doesn't start to look better soon I would call the vet to see if you need an antibiotic ointment for it.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Based on my own experience, when Blue had Cherry eye, it was protruding even though it was still very mild. This doesn't look like it to me. It could just be inflamed due to irritation of some kind.

I'd probably call my vet and see if they could recommend some kind of over the counter drops to try before bringing him in.

BUT, it could also be pink eye? [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]
Thank you! I'll call and ask them about drops or any other suggestion.

Ugh..I am on my work computer and sometimes it does not show the pictures. I guess they want me to actually work! anyway, I will look at it from my phone in a bit. It sounds like maybe a bug bite or something like that. Will he let you put a warm soak on it? I think that will help. If it is a clogged tear duct the warm soak will help. If it doesn't start to look better soon I would call the vet to see if you need an antibiotic ointment for it.
I wonder if you're on to something with the clogged duct... both eyes are producing those brown boogers.

I'm sure he'll let me put a warm damp cloth on it; he's sleepy and snuggly and I don't think he'd let that get in the way of time on mama's lap. :D

Back to work! But let me know when you do look at those pictures if it looks like anything too concerning. I really appreciate the help!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would take him in to get it looked at since it has not gone away after a couple of days. At least he doesn't seem bothered by it, which is good, but anything eye related I always get concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It is definitely the lining that looks irritated. I would give the vet a call. He may need drops. I don't think It is a duct. Let us know what they say.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I would take him in to get it looked at since it has not gone away after a couple of days. At least he doesn't seem bothered by it, which is good, but anything eye related I always get concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is definitely the lining that looks irritated. I would give the vet a call. He may need drops. I don't think It is a duct. Let us know what they say.

Well I can't bring him in til 5:20 which kinda stinks.. and the bulldog doc isn't in today either but at least I can get him there and (hopefully) have my mind eased a bit.

I'll let you all know! Thanks again

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Hey all! Just got back from the vet. Not really any solid answer but she put dye into his eye to find any scratches or anything and found nothing.

She doesn't think it's the onset of cherry eye but it could really go either way. I got an antibiotic ointment to use on him 3 times a day for the next week, and we'll go back then to see how it is, unless of course it gets worse and we'll go back again with no hesitation.

So, we'll see!

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Rocco had something similar a few months ago. Vet said it was conjunctivitis. Gave him eye drops twice a day and it cleared up in a few days

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Huh really?
I guess if it doesn't begin to clear up I'll ask about that.

Good to know, thanks matt!

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Glad to hear you went in. I hope the drops help.

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
I just got home with Tucker from the vet, he had a cherry eye and they fixed it, it looks the exact same as Winslow's eye. I have to put this thick eye ointment in his eye for 10 days.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Glad to hear you went in. I hope the drops help.
Thanks, me too! ;)
I am a little concerned, my eye doctor said (that at least with humans) inflammation needs steroids, not antibiotics. But the doctor didn't want steroids since they can burn the cornea. :eek:
Soooo... once again, we'll see?

I just got home with Tucker from the vet, he had a cherry eye and they fixed it, it looks the exact same as Winslow's eye. I have to put this thick eye ointment in his eye for 10 days.
Did it look that way before the surgery you mean?
Hope Tucker's feeling okay, he's the one who had the cherry eye op and sas neutered right?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.