Exercise

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
I know it varies from bullie to bullie. But does anyone have a very active bully? Any take their bully for a jog? I've read you're not suppose to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dbutler813

Dec 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Beefy (Georgia)
It can be very bad they are not a breed known for the running ability however my beffy girl will bolt around for about 30 seconds or so just because she feels like it. But I can be bad for the joints and the breathing depending on how smoosh faced they are.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Bulldogs can overheat easily and so over-exertion is not a good idea. My bullies aren't super active but they do pretty well on short hikes and 30 minute walks. They're actually quite fast and they know the "run" command so we do that but for only short bursts and then we go back to walking. Just observe your bully on your walks with him and see how he does. Bring water with you and take frequent rest stops.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with above advice, it isn't good for our bullies to run. My Dozer is pretty laid back and lazy, and he doesn't like to walk, and won't walk for more than 10 mins. Blossom has a lot of energy, and she loves to walk, and will go on longer walks, but I still watch her for signs of panting, and make sure she has lots of water.

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Thank you all! Learning more and more as I search and post. This site is addicting. I've been reading posts for hours now..lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I wouldn't advice it, just because they overheat so easily plus the compromised breathing… I agree w/ [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] short burst of 20 -30 min is about the limit for these guys. Please read away on here… and post as many questions as you want. That is why we are here ;)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Bullies tend to be very active in the puppy stage (up to around 2 years old) and then they slow down as their head and chest grow massive.

My dog who is going on 18 months still chases frisbees for about an hour everyday but I can definitely see that he's not as active as he was at a year old. My 5 year old lounges all day long and goes on 3 minute bursts of energy and lays back down. If I take her out on a walk farther than our half-mile loop, I'll be carrying 65 pounds of bully in my arms back home.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree with above, you will need to test the breathing system to see how for your bully can walk. Jogging (even short distance) is probably not suitable for most bulldogs. It depends on their breathing system, weight is also a factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Ruthie is a very active bully. We play mostly in the house and only on cool days outside. She goes for about 10-15 min walk daily and even then we are slow pokes. She loves to run and play but that is a very short amount of time. 10-15 going hard is good enough for her, then she's wore out.

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Some dog breads are built for speed... some are built for distance... some are built to herd... some are built to protect...
.. its a good thing Bulldogs have great personality's :lmaoboy:

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
Gia is almost two and she goes thru bursts of energy. We dont run but I have taken her for long walks from time to time. When she is tired she drops and im stuck where we are until shes ready.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

clightfoot

Nov 7, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper Potts
I must have a weird Bully. Pepper Potts absolutely loves long walks. I took her and the baby to the park the other day, watching her pretty closely. Almost 2 miles in and she still wanted to run. When we were done, she fetched for 45 minutes and still did Tornado Dog when my husband gets home.

She's a nut.

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Chunky is only 1 1/2 and very active! we've gone for 6 Mi hikes and with a few water breaks he does great!! On cool days if we take a shortish walk we'll throw in short jogs just keep close eyes on your baby to be sure he doesn't over heat!!!! and bring water!!!

tekstrand24

Jan 22, 2013
So Cal
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
My bullie is very active. We usually go on 3 to 4 walks a week. The walks normally take about 45 min and we will do a mix of walking a jogging. Now that it gets dark early and is pitch black when I get home from work we normally play tug o' war in the back yard and fetch every night for about 30 to 45 min. I have also had him on 4 to 5 mile hikes and he does fine. Just bring a lot of water and keep an eye on them.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Some dog breads are built for speed... some are built for distance... some are built to herd... some are built to protect...
.. its a good thing Bulldogs have great personality's :lmaoboy:

lmao! I guess that's their purpose, to be funny and makes us laugh!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.