Swallowed a bone

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yep, I just went through this with a squeaker.

My vet said to give him lots of bread and canned pumpkin (not the pie filling, just pure pumpkin aka squash) to help it pass. Also said if he starts to vomit, take him right in.
It took 2 1/2 days for it to pass.

When he swallowed a chicken wing bone, she was more concerned because it could splinter in the stomach. The antler shouldn't splinter, but if it has a sharp edge, that could be a concern.
I would call the vet and see what they have to say.

Blue did the same thing with the chicken wing bone. I put my hand in his mouth to get it out, so he decided to swallow it! These bullies- wow, must wow.

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
All you guys are making me feel better about this situation. As much as I hate to say this, I am glad Im not alone in this process. I have been watching every bowel movement like a hawk and so far everything seems normal. How much bread should I be giving him? He is on cloud nine right now because he got 2 slices of bread last night and two more this morning. He thinks its a treat.
As for the bone, one end was rounded down but the piece that broke off may have had a sharp edge to it. This is what worries me. We will just have to wait and see.

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Update:
Just inspected Dooley's poop since he went twice now since 5pm today. The first BM appeared to look normal but had a maroonish streak in it. The last one just now had a couple red specks in it and was soft serve consistancy. I can't tell if its blood or not. He seems as tho nothing is wrong and running around a mad man with two different toys in his mouth. But we will be making a trip to the vet in the morning.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The soft serve could be from all the bread. Hopefully the streaks aren't blood.
Keep us updated.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Fingers crossed that all is well...these dogs will be the death of us...or at the least, the end of our sanity!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I too, am continuing to pray but think a trip to the vet is in order. Maybe
take a sample poo with red specks in it to check for blood. I just don't
know if it's dissolvaeble...if not and it doesn't cause blockage it can still
create issues like necrosis of the colon.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Paul, I'm glad you're taking Dooley to see the vet today. And I agree with others…take a sample of the poo with the red specks in for them to look at. Keep us posted on your sweet Dooley!

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Hope everything is ok with Dooley! So scary when they do things like this. Please keep us posted Paul! Many hugs your way!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Just checking in on Dooley… did you take him to the vet yet?

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
No not yet. I know I know I'm such a bad parent. Everything looked normal this morning and I had a meeting for work first thing I could not get out of short of an emergency. I also looked this morning in the sunlight and his "business" from last night looked more normal than I was thinking. I did not see the maroonish lines I thought I saw last night. It could have been the flashlight I was using that was giving me this impression. I did call the vet this morning and they seemed to think everything at this point was fine but if anything else changes to bring him in.

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Update:
I brought Dooley to the vey two weeks ago to get a booster shot and while there I asked the vet about the bone. She gave him a once over and didn't seem to worried about it saying he may digest most of it but to watch him. I've been checking every BM and everything has been fine. Sorry to leave y'all hanging but I've been under the weather and haven't had time to post.
Thanks again for the prayers and help.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sounds good so far! Hope you are feeling better.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update:
I brought Dooley to the vey two weeks ago to get a booster shot and while there I asked the vet about the bone. She gave him a once over and didn't seem to worried about it saying he may digest most of it but to watch him. I've been checking every BM and everything has been fine. Sorry to leave y'all hanging but I've been under the weather and haven't had time to post.

Happy to hear he is still doing well... fingers crossed for an easy passing of the bone!

Hoep you are feeling better.... thanks for the update

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Update:

Thank you for letting us know, I hope you feel better.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.