4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I just dropped one of Dooley's deer antlers and a piece about an inch broke off (I grabbed it from him when I saw it was going to break off) and he's swallowed the piece when it hit the floor. It was maybe an inch long and round. Will he pass this or digest it? Or do I need to get to the vet in the morning?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Several dogs have eaten stuff lately, and I recall a couple being told to feed the dog bread, so it will pass easier. If it is not sharp, it should pass but could take awhile. Keep on eye out and check poop. If he starts vomiting, drooling and drinking excessively-then he needs to get to the vet pretty quick.. It could take a week or more to pass. Hope he will poop it out.
You probably should call the vet in the morning, and see what he thinks.

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have no idea if he could digest that… I will tag some members to see what they advice. I would just keep an eye on him, and make sure he's eating & pooping regularly.

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Can I give him something to make him vomit? Or is it better to wait this out and see what happens.

Last edited:

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Can I give him something to make him vomit? Or is it better to wait this out and see what happens.

I would NOT recommend that… bullies can aspirate, that is why it's best to only have a vet do that. I would try feeding him some bread and see if he can poop it out…

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Yea that's what I was afraid of. OK bread and prayers it is.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yea that's what I was afraid of. OK bread and prayers it is.

Don't worry… my Bella swallowed a live baby bird, and held on to that thing for a week. I about lost it, but she was absolutely fine… then she puked it up!!! These dogs I swear will swallow anything that's NOT nailed down… LOL

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would just watch her for awhile to make sure it doesn't get stuck. Hopefully she will pass it soon.

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Oh I know it. I usually watch him pretty well but this just happened so quick and he grabbed it and took off running.

He now has had two slices of bread.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh I know it. I usually watch him pretty well but this just happened so quick and he grabbed it and took off running.

He now has had two slices of bread.

Well that's good… just keep an eye on him, and keep us posted!!! ;)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great advice above, luckily you saw him get it so you can monitor his behavior. He may throw it up on his own, but then again he will orobably eat it again if you are not around. Silly bullies!!! My Yuna swallowed something blue and donut shaped, and she never eats anything. Two weeks of sickness and clear X-rays they finally cut her open to find it. We still have no clue what it is or where it came from?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I will keep an eye on him. I'll keep everyone posted on this one. Thanks for the help.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, Paul. My Dozer is the king of sock eaters, he has swallowed 4 socks and a dish cloth in the past 2 years. We've been really lucky I that he's been able to either throw them up, or poop them out. 3 of the socks we didn't even know he had swallowed them, one he threw up, the second one made him sick, he showed signs of obstruction which are diarrhea, vomiting, drooling water from the mouth, and lethargic behaviour. We brought him to the vet, and they did X-rays, which showed a shadow in his intestine, but we didn't know what he had swallowed. They gave him IV fluids, pain medications, and a laxative, and that night he was able to poop it out. Just keep an eye on him, and check his poop every time, you have to become a poop CSI agent. It could take a week or more for him to pass it. The last sock Dozer ate, I saw him do it, so knew to watch him, and look for it. He swallowed a sock that my grandson had left on the couch. It took a whole month for him to throw it up. The whole time he didn't show any signs of illness, he ate, drank and played normal, and then one morning at 5:30 am , he threw it up in his crate. I hope he is okay, and is able to pass the piece of antler, but if he shows any signs of obstruction, a visit to the vet would be a good idea.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I will keep an eye on him. I'll keep everyone posted on this one. Thanks for the help.

Paul, we know you're a great bully Dad, these slow bullies are lightening quick
when they want/need to be :) Feed more bread and call your Vet if you see the
signs of obstruction (told above) or Dooley seems in pain~restless, pacing, whining.
I will hold Dooley close in prayer that he pukes/poops it out. You're going to have to
do poop patrol, plastic bags on hands & stick to poke thru the stuff looking for it, Ick
Sending you strength, peace & hugs of comfort...hang in there, dear friend!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] just went through this with a squeeker.... bread and water to help it pass, keep an eye on change in behavior or illness (vomit, :poo: change) and indication of those, get him to the vet for a check/x-rays

My girl ate a stone and we had no idea... she had no change in her eating, drinking :poo:, not vomit... all was good except her attitude. Not that Banks does have MASSIVE attitude any way, it was just multipled a few levels :stinkeye: Took her in cause I knew she was in some type of pain... low and behold there was a 2 inch stone in her belly that she could not pass

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.