Question about Elongated Soft Palate

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Hi -

I am beginning to think Oliver may have an elongated soft palate. He is seeing the vet tomorrow. For quite a while, Oliver would regurgitate food and water. (I actually posted in the forums many times about this) He was "unofficially" diagnosed with an issue with his cardiac sphincter trapping food. I say "unofficially" because no tests were done; our vet felt this could be the problem and we tried switching to all soft foods and treats and he was better... until recently. He is regurgitating again. Not constantly, nowhere near as much as before, not even enough to lose weight... Just enough to make me start Googling symptoms. I was aware of palate issues in bulldogs but don't know a TON about it as our first bully never had this issue. I didn't think this was Oliver's issue until recently, after reading about the signs of it. He is going to the vet tomorrow. My question is - - in checking for palate issues, can it be done by a vet just visually looking down the dog's throat or are more diagnostics (endoscopy? something else?) usually necessary?

If we do find out he does have a palate issue, I know I will have more questions...so if anyone who has gone through surgery or who has experience with this could be tagged, I'd be so appreciative.

PS: Am I also correct in believing the palate issue is hereditary? I'm a little confused on that and I believe it will open up a HUGE can of worms with his breeders. I know I am thinking prematurely but I like to be prepared.
Thanks in advance for any help/advice!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Sherri -- sorry for the late response.

I had Nitschke and my Frenchie Cheli, both have palate reduction... I am not sure if it is hereditary, but it is very common in the bully breeds. Nitschke was a lot like your Oliver, always had food coming back up (as does Cheli). Both of them need a mild sedation to have the palate checked to determine the extend and true need for surgery.

Cheli was in and out the same day, but Nitschke stayed overnight almost two days in the hospital becasue he had four issues addressed ad the vet wanted to monitor him for extended period of time. Both our boys did extermely well and most issue cleared up however, the both continue to SNORE, did not miss a beat on that one

Let me know what questions you have and I will do my best to help you along.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola had palate surgery as well. We knew she was having difficulty breathing and would overheat quickly and often. Our vet thought that these symptoms, combined with her very small nose nares, were enough to schedule the surgery, but in reality, you can't know whether the palate is elongated until the dog is anesthetized. Lola had her nares widened, her palate shortened, and some nodules in the air passage trimmed. We could immediatley tell that Lola was able to breath better after the surgery. It took a few weeks for the sutures to dissolve completely, and Lola was on soft food for a while (she also had a tooth extracted while under), but she does still snore. Her sleep apnea is MUCH better as well.

i should edit to include that Lola would regurgitate her food often before the surgery, and it is less often after. that is one way elongated palate can present.

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Thanks for the replies! Oliver saw his normal vet the other day. She did 2 xrays showing his entire airway down to his stomach just to make sure everything looked okay and to check for Megaesophagus. Thankfully, everything looked good with the exception of one tiny, round, opaque ..thing in/near his larynx. She felt that could either be a polyp or a pea from his food since he had regurgitated in the office. She is sending us for an endoscopy so we can check for other issues and check his palate. We have a consult with the internist on Monday and I imagine we will set up for an endoscopy at that time. I'm grateful that he isn't in any dire condition, but clearly something is up. He isn't regurgitating excessively. In fact, he gained weight. Haha!

I will check back in when we have a more thorough exam and endoscopy. I truly appreciate the replies!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the replies! Oliver saw his normal vet the other day. She did 2 xrays showing his entire airway down to his stomach just to make sure everything looked okay and to check for Megaesophagus. Thankfully, everything looked good with the exception of one tiny, round, opaque ..thing in/near his larynx. She felt that could either be a polyp or a pea from his food since he had regurgitated in the office. She is sending us for an endoscopy so we can check for other issues and check his palate. We have a consult with the internist on Monday and I imagine we will set up for an endoscopy at that time. I'm grateful that he isn't in any dire condition, but clearly something is up. He isn't regurgitating excessively. In fact, he gained weight. Haha!

I will check back in when we have a more thorough exam and endoscopy. I truly appreciate the replies!

Please keep us us posted and will continue to pray all is well

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Please keep us us posted and will continue to pray all is well

Wellll, we seem to be in good shape. We saw an internist today and Oliver will not be having an endoscopy yet. We are doing a food change and instead of the normal Pepcid he receives each day, he is now on Prilosec. The doctor feels Oliver's issues are more gastro than anything else. He tends to regurgitate carrots that are in his food so he is now going on a metabolic diet to lose weight and see if the protein change/non-carrot food will make a difference. She felt his x-rays looked great and we won't approach an endoscopy until we try these non-invasive things first. I expressed my concern about his soft palate. She felt that even if he does have an elongated soft palate, trimming it won't be an option until we see if the regurgitation is gastro related. (if they see it is elongated and trim it, and he is still regurgitating, it won't heal)

So, one step at a time. New soft/pate food with a new protein, Prilosec once a day (and possibly twice a day if needed), raised food bowl and if he is still regurgitating within 3-4 weeks, THEN an endoscopy and MRIs.
Thanks for the support. Anytime we are going through something foreign/scary, we always get support on this forum and we THANK YOU for it!!!!!!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
sigh of relief eh? :) glad to hear the good news and i hope the prilosec works!

edited: I would keep Oliver calm over this next period of time, because if he does have an elongated palate, overheating will agitate it, cause the throat to swell, and cause breathing problems. I'm always happy when fall and winter come around again.

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm watching this thread w/interest… I have nothing to add except that I think Winston had an elongated soft palate that was unfortunately undetected. I hope that you can figure out what is going on w/Oliver soon… sending hugs & prayers!!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wellll, we seem to be in good shape. We saw an internist today and Oliver will not be having an endoscopy yet. We are doing a food change and instead of the normal Pepcid he receives each day, he is now on Prilosec. The doctor feels Oliver's issues are more gastro than anything else. He tends to regurgitate carrots that are in his food so he is now going on a metabolic diet to lose weight and see if the protein change/non-carrot food will make a difference. She felt his x-rays looked great and we won't approach an endoscopy until we try these non-invasive things first. I expressed my concern about his soft palate. She felt that even if he does have an elongated soft palate, trimming it won't be an option until we see if the regurgitation is gastro related. (if they see it is elongated and trim it, and he is still regurgitating, it won't heal)

So, one step at a time. New soft/pate food with a new protein, Prilosec once a day (and possibly twice a day if needed), raised food bowl and if he is still regurgitating within 3-4 weeks, THEN an endoscopy and MRIs.
Thanks for the support. Anytime we are going through something foreign/scary, we always get support on this forum and we THANK YOU for it!!!!!!

Sounds like you have a great vet that is willing to take the time and do things right and not rush through processes..... I also agree with aprileMari, try to keep him calm during this time to ensure it is not agitated

keep us posted, please!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.