Limping

bloy23

Jan 14, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Carlos
Hello,

My bully is 2 years old. Recently starting limping out of the blue. Long story short, my vet(who I like) kind of rotates his rear left leg and calls it luxating patella(sp?). Wants to do surgery. No x-rays etc etc. We were initially in for a check-up and allergy shot which he was given.

2-3 days later. His limp is gone and he seems 100%. Running around, walks at the park. No problem. Like clockwork, about a month later(allergy shot is good for 30 days approx), he struggling to get out of bed and walk to his bowl to eat.

I don't have the name of the allergy meds but it is steroidal and contains anti-inflammatories. Three consecutive limping episodes have been solved by an allergy shot. Vet is a nice guy but kind of hard headed…still wants surgery. I kind of feel like he's guessing.

Obviously bully's are sensitive to allergies but I'm kind of at a loss as to how they are/could be causing him to limp so bad and how a simple shot, solves it 100%. Breaks my heart watching him struggle to get around. Im looking into another Vet now for a second opinion. Im not necessarily trying to dodge surgery but Im not convinced its necessary.

Any thoughts/ideas/similar stories?

Thanks in advance:)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This has happened to our Buster before and he was x-rayed and I was told it was a muscle pull and was give the anti-inflammatory and it cleared right up. Before you do anything I would DEFINITELY seek a second opinion. To me it doesn't make sense why he wouldn't take an x-ray just to be on the safe side.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Chumley has limped badly and then it's gone in a few days..I assume it's a pulled muscle or something ,I or as he's running around in a few days. This has happened twice in the last 2 months..are you sure it's the allergy shot making it go away and not just time itself? I swear Saturday morning I was looking at a vet visit on Monday he was limping so bad
...it went away on its own in 2-3 days..
I definitely would never do a surgery without at least an X-Ray and another opinion.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If his allergy shot is a steroid,it will help the pain in his knee.It is not CAUSING the limping-but helping ease the pain. Sometimes when a person's arthritis is having a painful spell, a steroid shot will be given, and it does usually last about a month. I have had them-such as prednisone-and it makes ME feel like superwoman! So that may be why he has no pain, after the allergy shot.
As for the luxating patella, it can be felt-easily by the vet-but I would INSIST on an xray-and want to SEE it for myself. If he doesn't have an xray machine-take him somewhere else for an xray. Hope your baby will be okay.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I'm dealing with a limping pup as well. So sad. I agree with [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION], the steroid will help ease the pain. but for sure no surgery before an xray. you want proof. but unfortunately i think dogs need to be anesthetized for xrays. perhaps mildly would be sufficient. it is a risk, which is what i'm contemplating at the moment.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Smart choice.... econd opinion with xray ! Our boy had the luxating patella too, there are different levels of it and there may be other options than surgery.

Please keep us posted

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online