Thread: Is it too late to Neuter???

Bulldog(s) Names
    Oscar
    Likes (Received)

Default Is it too late to Neuter???

This ?? is a 2 parter...

Oscar is 18 months old now. He has not been neutered yet. Is he too old and is there any increase in complications? I was going to breed him later just to have pick of the litter too get another puppy not for monetary gain.

Secondly, he continues to mark our couch for some reason. Sometimes I think its just out of spite for getting in trouble or because he is not allowed to do something he WANTS to do. I am at my its end. I was told that having him "fixed" would eliviate the marking problems, but I am not sold that it would be a 100% solution. Anyone have experience with this....

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is it too late to Neuter???

It is NEVER EVER EVER too late to neuter! Go over it with your vet. Hopefully you have a vet who is familiar with bullies and give gas (isoflurane) only and no anesthesia like propofol.

Can it help with the marking issue? Yes. Will it for sure? No. Part of marking is territorial, and showing who is boss. He is also maybe marking because he thinks he is alpha, but you must show that YOU are the alpha. (I suck at being alpha but I try really hard!)

There are several health benefits to neutering. One of the most important concerns the prostate gland, which under the influence of testosterone will gradually enlarge over the course of the dog’s life. In age, it is likely to become uncomfortable, possibly being large enough to interfere w/defecation. The prostate under the influence of testosterone is also predisposed to infection which is almost impossible to clear up without neutering. Neutering causes the prostate to shrink into insignificance thus preventing both prostatitis as well as the uncomfortable benign hyperplasia (enlargement) that occurs with aging. It is often erroneously held that neutering prevents prostate cancer but this is not true.

Other health benefits of neutering include the prevention of certain types of hernias and tumors of the testicles and anus. Excessive preputial discharge is also reduced by neutering.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I agree with desertsky, never too late to neuter!

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Nope, not too late to neuter at all. Not sure if there are any complications to it at this age specifically but it may help with the marking anyhow.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lacey
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Silva and Stella
    Likes (Received)

Yup agree with above! Not too late!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Anonymous

Remove Ads