Is it too late to Neuter???

Knuckles73

Jun 8, 2010
Pensacola, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Oscar
This ?? is a 2 parter...

Oscar is 18 months old now. He has not been neutered yet. Is he too old and is there any increase in complications? I was going to breed him later just to have pick of the litter too get another puppy not for monetary gain.

Secondly, he continues to mark our couch for some reason. Sometimes I think its just out of spite for getting in trouble or because he is not allowed to do something he WANTS to do. I am at my its end. I was told that having him "fixed" would eliviate the marking problems, but I am not sold that it would be a 100% solution. Anyone have experience with this....

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is NEVER EVER EVER too late to neuter! Go over it with your vet. Hopefully you have a vet who is familiar with bullies and give gas (isoflurane) only and no anesthesia like propofol.

Can it help with the marking issue? Yes. Will it for sure? No. Part of marking is territorial, and showing who is boss. He is also maybe marking because he thinks he is alpha, but you must show that YOU are the alpha. (I suck at being alpha but I try really hard!)

There are several health benefits to neutering. One of the most important concerns the prostate gland, which under the influence of testosterone will gradually enlarge over the course of the dog’s life. In age, it is likely to become uncomfortable, possibly being large enough to interfere w/defecation. The prostate under the influence of testosterone is also predisposed to infection which is almost impossible to clear up without neutering. Neutering causes the prostate to shrink into insignificance thus preventing both prostatitis as well as the uncomfortable benign hyperplasia (enlargement) that occurs with aging. It is often erroneously held that neutering prevents prostate cancer but this is not true.

Other health benefits of neutering include the prevention of certain types of hernias and tumors of the testicles and anus. Excessive preputial discharge is also reduced by neutering.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Nope, not too late to neuter at all. Not sure if there are any complications to it at this age specifically but it may help with the marking anyhow.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.