Curly has head tremors

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Today my husband saw Curly trying to bite at flies - he called him, Curly looked, and then resumed. There were no bugs in sight, so he googled it and found out it was head tremors.

This is the first time we saw him do this. I'm not panicked due to the fact that my dalmatian I had years ago had grand mal seizures so (un)fortunately I have experience with dealing with neurological issues.

I have seen a few posts from other members about tremors and wanted to know if there is anything else we should look out for.

Any tips? Thanks all!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There is an article on here --- i'll get the link and post it here for you. Also try ti get video if it haopens again

@lokibeans or. [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] may have some insight for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Ruthie gets head tremors. I find what works best with her is giving her something hard to chew on like carrots. Once I've distracted her with 2-3 of them they stop. I have tried to pin point when she will have them but I haven't found her triggers for those yet, where I have found her triggers for her seizures. Ruthie only gets tremors at night when she is sleeping. That's the only consistent thing about hers. [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION] also gets tremors too. Good luck and I hope this way just a one time occurrence!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?514-Head-Tremors-in-English-Bulldogs
2bullymama s article is very informative.
chumleys head tremors can be 2 or 3 times a day or once every 2 weeks. There is no rhyme or reason to when they occur. When he gets them they immediately stop when I give him a treat. Some members have said its a low sugar level but I know in Chumleys case that's not it because the act of chewing stops the tremor..the treat hasn't even been swallowed so it's not low sugar in his case. They are very difficult to watch..especially the first few times. I went to 2 bulldog savvy vets who both said its common in bulldogs and expensive testing most likely wouldn't result in any answers. We've just been living with it..trying to catch them immediately and stopping it with a treat or carrot. Good luck!

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Thanks for the info! If we witness them again I'll try to get a video.

I've witness scary grand mal seizure for 12 years with my dalmatian so these seem less worrisome.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Have you checked for any itchy parts? Head tremors are different from fly biting. Sometimes when they air lick or air bite, fly bite....it could be an itchy part that they can't reach. If it's tremors....the above suggestions are great. Itchy parts can be tail pocket, anal glands, boy bits, ears, any part of the six area.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
yeah I think Cheryl is right, Lola had some skin allergies and would be very itchy but I was training her to not scratch the crap out of herself while on our bed (trying to sleep here!). So I caught her biting at imaginary flies once in a while, and at first I thought it was a side effect of the benedryl i was giving her. But I realized that she was just trying to compensate for her itchiness that I (bad mama) was not allowing her to scratch. (she was scratching herself to bleeding under her arms, i try not to be a bad mama!). I didn't really think she had head tremors. or else I would be freaking out…i am a worrier.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I'm sorry I should have mentioned chums tremors do not resemble air biting..they're just obvious hard shakes..the fly biting thing may be as suggested above and not really a tremor?

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
No his fly biting was pretty much the same as this video but he was looking up http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/flybite/flybite.html

He's probably the least itchy do I've ever met lol. But seriously he doesn't have a tail pocket, he is bathed with prescription anti-itch medication every other week (does not have dandruff) his ears are cleaned weekly and folds are cleaned at least every other day.

Thanks for also thinking of other conditions though

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.