Swollen cyst?

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
So hooey has had this small bump on his chest since he was a puppy. When we asked our vet about it -- he said it's just a small growth & to monitor it but it's not causing pain or harm so it is fine. This morning we woke up & it's inflammed. Like softball size. Of course it happens on a Saturday when our vet is closed. It doesn't hurt him & he is still eating/going to the bathroom just fine. I thought maybe it was a snake bite but I gave him two Benadryl at 10:30 am (it's 4:30pm now) & no change. Anyone ever had any experience with this sort if thing? All of the googling I'm doing is starting to freak me out!!
e7u3uny2.jpg

e7y7adyp.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have no experience with this, but I hope it is nothing serious and can be taken care of without very much trouble.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a handsome bully boy.... I have no experience, but will tag a few members that might have some ideas.

BACK AWAY FROM the Google... It can be very scary!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree-stop looking on google! IF this is a cyst-it may have filled with fluid-or become infected-in which case it could be pus filled.Usually a cyst will have some "give" to it, if you push it in with your finger, or if you put your thumb on one side and fingers on the other-it will feel a little "squeezy" not rock hard.
There are also fatty tumors, which are usually egg shaped-he is a little young for that, but possibility. Most of the time with them-you can move them from side to side.
He is a cute boy! Hopefully it is nothing serious. You are not alone-stuff always happens her on Sunday.

Last edited:
OP
hparker37

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
Thank you all. You can tell it is filled with fluid. I found a local vet open on Sundays so he will be going at 8am in the morning.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you all. You can tell it is filled with fluid. I found a local vet open on Sundays so he will be going at 8am in the morning.

Please see let us know how the appointment goes.... Sending positive thoughts to you and Hooey!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

I'm so haapy you found a vet open on Sunday, please let us know how it goes. I pray it's nothing serious.:pray:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

That is good, sounds like an abcess since it grew overnight, please let us know how his appointment goes. They will probably need to lance it and put a drain tube in to get all of the puss out. Is he eating and drinking fine? (They usually do with abcess)

Praying for him to get better soon! :pray:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh boy, I have no idea either. I had a pitty who had a bunch of fatty deposit and a couple got pretty big but they came on gradually, they didn't just show up. If it had been a snake bite I think the results would have been different. It's possible it's a spider bite though? My only other guess is a cyst that filled with fluid. Keep us updated. I hope it's nothing serious.

OP
hparker37

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
Poor hooey kept us up all night last night howling from pain. :( makes me so sad not being able to take it away! He just left the vet & the vet says it's an infection & should take about 5 days to go down. He prescribed antibiotics & pain meds so we will see how it goes within the next week. On a positive note, he weighs 42 lbs & the vet is very pleased with his weight/appearance! All due to raw food! :) amazing what a change in good can do for a pup.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor hooey kept us up all night last night howling from pain. :( makes me so sad not being able to take it away! He just left the vet & the vet says it's an infection & should take about 5 days to go down. He prescribed antibiotics & pain meds so we will see how it goes within the next week. On a positive note, he weighs 42 lbs & the vet is very pleased with his weight/appearance! All due to raw food! :) amazing what a change in good can do for a pup.

Poor baby! Hope it clears up real quick so you all can get some rest. Great work on the weight and diet :up:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Poor Hooey-but happy that you could take him to a vet on Sunday! He has meds, now-so should be feeling better real soon!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You are so good to take him in. I so hope he feels better soon, that;s great news about his weight! Well done.

OP
hparker37

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
Poor Hooey is back to the vet in the morning. There are spots draining blood (not puss, dark blood) & he's loosing his hair in spots where the swelling is. Nurse momma doctored him up for the time being ;) say a little prayer for my baby.
asepejeh.jpg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.