Other Finn will have surgery on his tail

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
Henny.. Finn will thank you for having it done. Stinky had a inverted corkscrew tail..and we had it removed about 2 months ago. It's so nice not to have to clean his tail pocket all the time...plus the smell is all gone. Good luck and prayers coming your way.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Henny.. Finn will thank you for having it done. Stinky had a inverted corkscrew tail..and we had it removed about 2 months ago. It's so nice not to have to clean his tail pocket all the time...plus the smell is all gone. Good luck and prayers coming your way.

Dana, may I ask how was Stinky's recovery process afterwards? Did he need to wear a cone afterwards? was he on pain meds for awhile? thanku :)

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Also [MENTION=9481]Dana F[/MENTION], did Stinky have frequent infections in his tail? Finn has these recurrent ones and he has to be put on the prednisone and antibiotics. I know it's the right thing to do with the surgery but then I ask myself if maybe i could just be on top of things and try to prevent the infections from recurring, but that isn't always successful.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Also @Dana F, did Stinky have frequent infections in his tail? Finn has these recurrent ones and he has to be put on the prednisone and antibiotics. I know it's the right thing to do with the surgery but then I ask myself if maybe i could just be on top of things and try to prevent the infections from recurring, but that isn't always successful.

No blame, Henny...the way his natural tail grows is the reason for the infections
and NOT your lack of anything. EBN is filling GOD's throne room with prayers for
Finn's successful surgery and for you to have peace of mind. You'll wonder why
you didn't do it sooner and Finn will thank you...it's all good, my love...all good!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henny, I'll be thinking of Finn and you tomorrow. :hug:

thanks Jeannie. I will be dropping him off tomorrow evening at the vet's office. I'm going to leave his blankie with him b/c he's never stayed overnight alone w/out Tate before and I worry about him feeling scared. I keep telling myself it's only for one night, and I will pick him up on Thursday after work, if all goes well.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
No blame, Henny...the way his natural tail grows is the reason for the infections
and NOT your lack of anything. EBN is filling GOD's throne room with prayers for
Finn's successful surgery and for you to have peace of mind. You'll wonder why
you didn't do it sooner and Finn will thank you...it's all good, my love...all good!

thank you , Carol. I soooo appreciate this! :heart:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
thanks Jeannie. I will be dropping him off tomorrow evening at the vet's office. I'm going to leave his blankie with him b/c he's never stayed overnight alone w/out Tate before and I worry about him feeling scared. I keep telling myself it's only for one night, and I will pick him up on Thursday after work, if all goes well.

I was thinking today was Thursday. Looks like I'm a day ahead of myself. Okay well I'll be thinking about then tonight and tomorrow. :)

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Henny......my advice is to get a lot of sheets and blankets to cover your floors and furniture. The first day will be a lot of seeping from the wound. Not really blood, but something. It stops after a day or two. Also....we had to add tramadol to Vegas's meds because the drug they gave him was not helping him any. They sent us home with Rimadyl and Amoxicillin. He was moaning....once we put him on tramadol, he was much better. By day 3 he was climbing on the furniture. It was hard to keep him calm. He was still a puppy...only 9 months old.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Also @Dana F, did Stinky have frequent infections in his tail? Finn has these recurrent ones and he has to be put on the prednisone and antibiotics. I know it's the right thing to do with the surgery but then I ask myself if maybe i could just be on top of things and try to prevent the infections from recurring, but that isn't always successful.

No, it's not always successful. Blue has a corkscrew tail that's yeasty about 40% of the time. Whenever we think we get it under control, here comes the yeast again.
I'm also fearing that the day will come when we'll also be faced with the same decision, and I know that I would make the same choice you did.

Stay positive, he'll be OK.

Hugs to you and Finn.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henny......my advice is to get a lot of sheets and blankets to cover your floors and furniture. The first day will be a lot of seeping from the wound. Not really blood, but something. It stops after a day or two. Also....we had to add tramadol to Vegas's meds because the drug they gave him was not helping him any. They sent us home with Rimadyl and Amoxicillin. He was moaning....once we put him on tramadol, he was much better. By day 3 he was climbing on the furniture. It was hard to keep him calm. He was still a puppy...only 9 months old.

Thanks Cheryl...good to know! Did Vegas have his whole tail amputated? The vet says she may only do the last 1/3 of Finn's tail where it curves around but she really won't know for sure until tomorrow. I will ask about the pain relievers too. I hate hearing that Vegas was moaning after the surgery. Our bullies usually have such a high tolerance for discomfort and now i know this surgery has to be very painful.

Buddy32825

Jan 14, 2014
Oralndo, FL
Country
North America
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Praying for your baby! I just hung up with my vet and Buddy is out of Surgery (tail pocket removal and neuter) and all went well and he's doing great. I'm sure Finn will do great to!

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Thanks Cheryl...good to know! Did Vegas have his whole tail amputated? The vet says she may only do the last 1/3 of Finn's tail where it curves around but she really won't know for sure until tomorrow. I will ask about the pain relievers too. I hate hearing that Vegas was moaning after the surgery. Our bullies usually have such a high tolerance for discomfort and now i know this surgery has to be very painful.

Vegas had a very small nub to begin with. His tail pocket was passed the doctors knuckle, correction his second joint in his finger. When I dropped him off I was naive enough to think that they were going to close his tail pocket. In the chart they said that he was in for a tail amputation. When I went to pick him up, I was shocked at what they did to him. I was unprepared. Since he had such a small nub, the pocket closure consisted of removing all but one quarter inch of his tail vertebrae. Rimadyl is such a fake painkiller. I feel bad for that 1 thing only. Not having him on enough painkillers to control his pain. Tramadol isn't even controlled, but that alone helped him deal with that first day

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Henny, when I get home I will send you the pictures of before and after

No [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], this was sent from my Droid Razr, not an iPhone... using Tapatalk 4.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.