Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: how long do i wait, Lola is limping

Quote Originally Posted by aprilemari View Post
    I just wanted to give an update on Lola. She went to the vet and he did find that she did have a reaction to some pressures on her right shoulder. He did an xray on her two arms and sent them to an orthopaedic surgeon, who replied that he/she did not see anything out of the ordinary or anything out of place. Our vet did show us the xrays and mentioned a bit of arthritis in the non-limping arm's elbow. He suggested putting her back on the NSAID metacam and to take it easy. It has been over 1 month with a limp. It is better in the mornings, and worse as she exercises. I started up the metacam again today. She doesnt seem to be in pain at all, but I suppose its harder for me to see her limp than it is for her to run around like a puppy and play with a limp.
    so does that mean it is more of a nerve issue? Her bones/shoulders seem good and no arthritis there, what is causing the limp did they say?

Banks has fused vertebrae, also known as 'butterfly vertebrae' cause in the x-ray, it looks like a butterfly on top of that she is full with arthritis in her spine and hips (along with HD). All those issues have not resolution so her life is about pain management, has been since she was about 4 years old. Keep in mind, nothing has ever stopped Banks from playing, running, being a beeotch, eating... she has been 100% happy, beeotchy, Bulldog her whole life.

She is on three meds daily, but the one that keeps her unaware of her pain is Gabapentin. it is a neurological drug to stops the nerves from sending pain signals to the brain,. I LOVE this med as it does not make her sleep or seem 'high'. she is just Banks, beeotchyness and all, she runs, plays, can do steps and get on/off furniture, etc.... she is just a dog living her life.

Banks is on the following daily:
    Tramadol 100mg 2x a day
    Deramaxx 37.5 mg a day (I sometimes skip a few days to see how she is doing, but in the winter she gets it everyday)
    Gabapentin 300mg 1x a time (she gets this with dinner, as we work during the day so she is sleeping... night is when she needs it)

hope that helps some.... let me know if you have any questions
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: how long do i wait, Lola is limping

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    so does that mean it is more of a nerve issue? Her bones/shoulders seem good and no arthritis there, what is causing the limp did they say?

Banks has fused vertebrae, also known as 'butterfly vertebrae' cause in the x-ray, it looks like a butterfly on top of that she is full with arthritis in her spine and hips (along with HD). All those issues have not resolution so her life is about pain management, has been since she was about 4 years old. Keep in mind, nothing has ever stopped Banks from playing, running, being a beeotch, eating... she has been 100% happy, beeotchy, Bulldog her whole life.

She is on three meds daily, but the one that keeps her unaware of her pain is Gabapentin. it is a neurological drug to stops the nerves from sending pain signals to the brain,. I LOVE this med as it does not make her sleep or seem 'high'. she is just Banks, beeotchyness and all, she runs, plays, can do steps and get on/off furniture, etc.... she is just a dog living her life.

Banks is on the following daily:
    Tramadol 100mg 2x a day
    Deramaxx 37.5 mg a day (I sometimes skip a few days to see how she is doing, but in the winter she gets it everyday)
    Gabapentin 300mg 1x a time (she gets this with dinner, as we work during the day so she is sleeping... night is when she needs it)

hope that helps some.... let me know if you have any questions

Very helpful post, Christine and a good guideline to ask Vet about our bully's
    needs. Banks (and Chelios) are so blessed to have you as Momma).
    Snding big 'ole hugs to you!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Remove Ads