Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: how long do i wait, Lola is limping

Glad to hear she is improving... The pic of her in the crate is adorable, but wow i wanted to let her out --- she face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

How's Lola today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Just checking to see if Lola is doing any better? Miss Tallulah's left shoulder was affected after she tried to chase a bunny in the yard ( first and last attempt) and she kept limping so I finally took her to the vet after a few days. When it looked like it wasn't getting any better. He was cautious and did lots of manual tests preferring not to X-ray unless as a last resort. He determined it was a shoulder muscle because she was limping but didn't hold her left paw up when standing which meant likely shoulder and not elbow. I bought some stairs for the bed and lured her with treats up and down so that ended the continuous impact on the body from jumping down and it made a big difference, plus I know in the long run it is will be helpful as she and Buster get older. My vet is also pretty holistic and he suggested I might want to consider laser treatments. Not too expensive and after 2 weeks of 3 times per week the difference was noticeable. Plus Miss Tallulah seemed to totally relax during treatments as if it felt good. Her limp improved dramatically. She still occasionally limps first thing in the morning but the vet said that is not a bad thing if it is only in the morning because it meant she is just still a little stiff and the actual healing takes a long time. He is also not one to recommend painkillers in a case like this because he says it masks any pain they might be feeling and then they do silly things like run and jump.
    If Lola is sad in her crate you might want to treat her occasionally when she is resting quietly ( not when she is pouting) so she know she is being a good girl and not being corrected for bad things. Just some thoughts. Buster and Miss Tallulah send Lola bully butt wiggles and kisses and hope she feels better real soon.

“Happiness is a warm puppy.”
    Charles M. Schulz

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    How's Lola today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    it's hard to tell, she did morning business, we put her on the couch, hand fed her breakfast, and she's been napping on the couch ever since! I will see how she is walking for afternoon business time (4pm ish). But I think we're doing a good job of keeping her quiet (finally hubby has reluctantly agreed to not let her jump around and possibly crate her after a week of her limping and me b**ching). i think it was the b**ching that made him change his tune.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

@Tooleysmom thank you for sharing your story, that makes me feel so relieved that there is an option besides an xray and surgery. not once does lola not use all 4 paws so I think it is muscle related as well.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aprilemari View Post
    it's hard to tell, she did morning business, we put her on the couch, hand fed her breakfast, and she's been napping on the couch ever since! I will see how she is walking for afternoon business time (4pm ish). But I think we're doing a good job of keeping her quiet (finally hubby has reluctantly agreed to not let her jump around and possibly crate her after a week of her limping and me b**ching). i think it was the b**ching that made him change his tune.
    Well at least the bitching worked haha! Hope she is improving.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Several months ago Ace was favoring one of his front legs and it turned out to be interdigital inflammation and the Vet prescribed prednisone and it cleared up. Usually but not always the a front leg lameness is not as serious as a rear leg. We just went through a partial cruciate tear in Ace's knee. Cruciate tears don't happen in the front legs. There is just much more problems that can occur with a hind leg. Could have pulled or strained a muscle if in a few days even a week would probably be okay to just wait and see unless the dog is in obvious pain and discomfort then see a Vet

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

Well, good news and bad news. Lola, when kept off her feet, limps less. However, today, her cabin fever got the best of her and she ran around for a little bit. Slowed down and the limp looks even worse. I am working from home the next two days, so I will keep her down. Or maybe I should just call it and go to the vet. I really don't want to go to the vet, Lola get so nervous, then I get all anxious, all while her limp will be getting worse on the trip over there.

Just started her on glucosamine and chondroitin two days ago, human grade, pills via PB. And her itchiness/paw licking is coming back and I have some steroid/anti-inflammatory pills leftover from her last bout (we weaned her off early). Those pills should relieve some of the joint pain. Should I put her on them again?

Also to complicate things, I have a conference in texas (long way from canada) coming up soon and a friend will be house/dog/cat sitting for a week. If the vet is to do something, it would have to be after that trip anyway.
    Last edited by aprilemari; 01-14-2014 at 09:01 PM.

Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)

Take her in! It will get worse with stress/running/playing. Matilda hurt her leg over Thanksgiving. We went to the vet and she got a pain reliever and some doggie Xanax so she'd mellow out and not run on it. We didn't do the Xrays just yet. We also didn't let her run or play roughly. It resolved within the week.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aprilemari View Post
    Well, good news and bad news. Lola, when kept off her feet, limps less. However, today, her cabin fever got the best of her and she ran around for a little bit. Slowed down and the limp looks even worse. I am working from home the next two days, so I will keep her down. Or maybe I should just call it and go to the vet. I really don't want to go to the vet, Lola get so nervous, then I get all anxious, all while her limp will be getting worse on the trip over there.

Just started her on glucosamine and chondroitin two days ago, human grade, pills via PB. And her itchiness/paw licking is coming back and I have some steroid/anti-inflammatory pills leftover from her last bout (we weaned her off early). Those pills should relieve some of the joint pain. Should I put her on them again?

Also to complicate things, I have a conference in texas (long way from canada) coming up soon and a friend will be house/dog/cat sitting for a week. If the vet is to do something, it would have to be after that trip anyway.
    DAMN! I would take her in for an exam, make sure you know what you need to address for her to heal up. I would not put her on any pills till you have her at the vet so they can see her limp
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

Man, this is so weird. I will call the vet today. But this morning, she doesn't limp! I guess rest overnight helps the injury, but upon moving around all day, pain becomes apparent. I am home today and tomorrow (hopefully being productive and writing my research paper), and I am keeping her crated. My husband needs to get on board, I think because she was out when I got home yesterday from work, Lola was able to run around like a maniac. and then he played fetch with her *sigh*. thanks for the replies everyone

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

First, she's a total cutie, adorable!!

But yeah, I agree with the others- take her to the vet. It's been going on (and off) for too long. She needs to be examined.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads