Booster vaccination

hutchie

Oct 17, 2013
Cumbria Lake District
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Marley
Ive just had my reminder from the vets about Marleys annual vaccination. Its just i have been told before that it can do more harm than good,does anyone have any experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs get all their puppy shots, usually the last one is at about 12 weeks. Then also a rabies shot. They get a booster once a year. I do not take chances on them getting something that is preventable. Other than the normal shots-they don't get any others.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We always get our babies their shot when they are supposed to and have never had any problems. I also recommend everyone else to do the same.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
one thing you can check is if you got a one year vaccination or a 3 year vaccination. Lola had a bad reaction to the rabies booster and when that time of year came around again, we got a reminder card. its a shame they didn't even tell me it was a three year that Lola got, thus didn't even need the booster. I'll get her titered for antibodies before i give her another vaccine.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm all for vaccinating, but I have issues with over vaccinating. So when it's time for Blue's boosters in a few months, I'm going to do his titers first. He has terrible skin allergies and I don't want anything that could even possibly contribute to the problem.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I am also concerned about over vaccinating our dogs, but like the above members, I do vaccinate my dogs annually, they have had all their puppy series vaccines, and their boosters, they had Leptovirus, and when we boarded them last year, we had to give them the kennel cough vaccine. I know it's important to protect them against preventable diseases, and I want to make sure they are protected. I don't want them getting any diseases that can be prevented. But on the other hand I did read that we could be over vaccinating our dogs, some believe that once they get the puppy vaccines, they are protected for life, and so then don't need the boosters, and some believe that the rabies shot is not needed every year, that once they get the vaccine, you can give it every other or every 3 years. The rabies shot is one of the vaccines that are required by law. My friend has had many dogs, and at the moment has 5, she doesn't vaccinate her dogs, and she doesn't believe in vets, she does everything holistically, and feeds her dogs home made dog food. She lives in the country, and her dogs aren't exposed to other dogs, and all of her dogs have lived to be 15 to 17 years old. Her and her husband don't really like doctors for themselves either, and don't believe in vaccinations for themselves, they do have all their vaccinations from childhood, but don't believe in the flu shot, and others, and they also don't take medications, they use natural products for colds, flu, etc. like oil of oregano, and they take lots of natural supplements. I don't know which is right, or what to believe but I do believe there are many diseases that can be prevented, in both humans and dogs, and if we don't vaccinate then we are susceptible and in danger of contracting these diseases, and I would feel terrible If my dogs were to get sick or die from something that could be prevented by a simple vaccine. Also If we don't protect our kids and ourselves with vaccines then we are at risk for many preventable diseases that's an not only potentially kill us, but can leave us with disabilities and permanent impairment due to complications from the diseases such as polio, measles, meningitis, tetanus, and many others. There are many controversies to vaccinations in both humans and animals, for many years there has been the controversy of if the baby vaccines cause Autism in children or not, and many people are still skeptical about the flu shot, some people still believe it gives them flu symptoms or makes them sick, even though they say the vaccine contains the dead virus, and doesn't cause you to get the flu. It is a personal choice to have the flu shot or not, but I totally believe we require vaccinations to maintain our health and prevent many horrible diseases.

I read this and thought id share it with you.

View mypetMD Content
Are you getting the most from petMD?Register or login to access mypetMDLogin | Register
Vet Authored
Vet Approved
Find Vets | Is Your Pet Overweight? | Symptom Checker

Home » Dog Care Center
To Vaccinate or Not: A Vet's Perspective
Save to mypetMD
More Sharing ServicesShare
Print

By T. J. Dunn, Jr., DVM

Among pet caretakers few topics are more debated than that regarding the vaccination of dogs (and cats). In years past, vaccinations for all sorts of diseases were recommended to be given annually ... year after year. That protocol was followed by veterinarians because they were told to do so by the vaccine manufacturers in order to ensure optimal immunity for as many pets as possible.

If a veterinarian independently decided not to follow the label recommendations on the vaccines, and an animal subsequently developed a disease that the veterinarian decided vaccination for wasn't needed, the veterinarian was vulnerable to being sued. Ethically and legally the veterinarian must follow label recommendations for the administration of biologicals.

In recent years, the vaccine manufacturers have been under some pressure to show data that truly demonstrates a need for annual vaccinations for dogs (and cats). Part of the drive for reconsideration of vaccine protocols has been coming from Holistic veterinary practitioners, many of whom believe that repeated vaccinations diminish the animal's immune resources and can actually create disorders such as degenerative joint diseases, immune mediated disorders such as Lupus, and can actually depress the animal's ability to ward off diseases "naturally". A few holistic veterinarians believe that all vaccines are harmful.

On the other hand, there are veterinarians -- from general practitioners to research scientists with advanced degrees in immunology -- who contend that vaccinations are a modern marvel, responsible for saving uncountable animal lives ... just as vaccines have helped rid the world of savage human diseases such as smallpox and polio.

So how is today's dog and cat caretaker going to make an informed decision about their own pet's vaccine needs?

I will share a recent email I received from a pet caretaker expressing just such a dilemma ...

Question:

Dear Dr. Dunn,

I was wondering if you would share with me your opinion about yearly shot or shots for my Yorkie. He will be one year old soon and has had all his shots to date. I read on a Yorkie site the opinions of three Veterinarians who expressed that dogs only need shots two or three times in their entire life.

Thank you for your help with this question. N. H.

Dr. Dunn's response:

The problem is this: Most dogs will hold protective immunity longer than a year when given vaccines (but there are variables). So when a veterinarian sees a dog in practice and the owner asks "Does my dog need that Distemper or Parvo vaccine this year?" the veterinarian has no way of knowing what the dog's immune status is for those diseases. You and the doctor can only guess.

What if you skip a few years and in fact the dog's immune status is low and actually contracts the disease? You would be pretty upset that the veterinarian said "The dog didn't need a vaccine this year." You might even be able to sue the doctor for suggesting that the dog "didn't need a vaccine this year" without having any proof for the veracity of that statement. The veterinarian can only guess what the dog or cat's immune status is.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Been vacinating my babies as required without issue, but I do not do the 'optional' stuff (kennel cough, lypto) as there isn't a need...

clightfoot

Nov 7, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper Potts
For vaccines, especially rabies, check your local laws. the three-year and one-year rabies are medically identical. It is NOT a different vaccine. the difference is how often your LAW requires it.

I get everything except Lepto (she isn't exposed) Lymes (No ticks) Giardia (doesn't work) Corona (not popular in the area). I do DHP/P, Canine influenza, and Rabies every year. Bordatella every six months, since it is rampant in this area. Bordatella is a vaccine for Kennel cough, which is badly named. KC is basically an airborne respiratory disease you can bring home from anywhere on your clothes. It is common in shelters because of the close-quarters, but you can pick it up at the park and infect your pup. It can lead to pneumonia, so I do that one often.

then again, I work at a shelter, so I'm a little over protective of my baby.

PS: Parainfluenza (which is in the 5 or 7-ways) is NOT the same as Canine Influenza

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.