Stinky Bum

Hoganmcbean

Jun 7, 2013
Kelowna, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hogan
Hey fellow bulldog lovers! My poor Hogan has had an up and down roller coaster ride with his stinky tail. I go through a few days/weeks where it is good and scentless. But then out of nowhere it gets so smelly and has discharge when I wipe his bum after he poos. I stopped using baby wipes bc I thought the moisture from them would worsen it, so now I only use kleenex to wipe his bum. I have used many different yeast ointments and nothing seems to do the trick. The vet prescribed a yeast/fungal medication a while ago and told me this sort of thing will be ongoing for a bulldog and I just need to stay on top of it. But no matter how many times I wipe his bum each day, it is still SO smelly and wet. Any suggestions?! =D

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh I'm so sorry you are going through this with Hogan. Sorry I don't have any experience with tail pocket problems or smell, as my two guys don't have a tail pocket. Somebody with experience will come along shortly and be able to give you some advice and suggestions. I just wanted to send you and Hogan love hugs and prayers that he feels better soon, and you find a solution to his smelly tail pocket. I have read that other members use wipes daily to clean out the pocket, make sure that it is dry, and some bully owners use a powder like Goldbond to keep it dry. A last resort is to have surgery to remove the tail, but that is usually only when there is a lot of infections and nothing else has worked. I hope you find something that works for him.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hi Emily! You are right in not using baby wipes since that will only contribute to more moisture in the tail pocket area. You can still use the wipes but make sure you use a tissue to blot the area dry. I've had problems with Finn's tail as well. He's had a bad infection there a few times and has been on antibiotics and prednisone to control it. My vet also recommended a mousse formulation of chlorhexidine and an anti fungal which she advises I apply to the tail area on a regular basis.

Have you had a chance to look at any of the health articles we have here on EBN? here's a link on tail pockets that may be helpful to you:
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?634-English-Bulldog-What-is-a-Tail-Pocket

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
A last resort is to have surgery to remove the tail, but that is usually only when there is a lot of infections and nothing else has worked. I hope you find something that works for him.

I was going to mention this as well. My vet has actually recommended that part of Finn's tail be amputated b/c of his frequent infections there. I've been trying to stay on top of his tail myself since I really don't want to go down that road unless it's absolutely necessary.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great suggestions above. I also am wondering if the liquid is clear and stinks like fishy nasty smell. If so, the anal glands could be expressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
gang has you covered.... just wanted to say good luck with it and you may also want to try witch hazel on a cotton pad.... self drying so not concern of mositure

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Tucks medicated pads work great for cleaning tail pockets and so do water piks. I have both; I use the water pik and afterwards I follow up with the tucks because they have witch hazel and dry quickly. Also get a suction bulb and put an anti-fugal powder in it and you can squeeze the powder into the tail pocket easier. Both my girls have tight tail pockets and I clean them at least 3 times a week to make sure nothing builds up in there. Good luck.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.