Lip biting

Tbearlion

Dec 15, 2013
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Marley
For about a month now since Lou has passed, Marley has been biting her top lip. It started out as a small white patch of her "black lipstick" being gone. Since then it's starting to get bigger and now I've noticed it's almost become an open sore. I've tried putting antibiotic ointment on it, she just licks it off. Had her wear her thunder shirt, works but as soon as it's off she starts again. We can't leave it on her all day at work. I think she does this maybe in her sleep. I'm getting concerned and I'm not sure what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm going to set up a vet appointment, not sure where since the last one was horrible and our dog didn't come home.
huse6aqu.jpg

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I wonder if Marley is biting her lip from stress and anxiety after losing her best friend Lou. How long ago did Lou pass away? I know they were great buddies and our dogs mourn the loss of our pets very much too. Otherwise, is Marley showing other signs of anxiety? does she play, is she eating/sleeping okay (aside from biting her lip).

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Aww, so sorry for your loss:( The wound is at a difficult spot... I would think the trick is to keep it dry, but that's easier said than done:unsure: Hope the vet or more people here has good advice for you:)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I am thinking it is from the stress of losing her friend. I hope the vet can help with this.

OP
Tbearlion

Tbearlion

Dec 15, 2013
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Marley
Hi everyone! Thank you for all the suggestions. I do agree and think it's because she misses Lou and at home all day by herself. My husband took her to work for a day this week and I think the stress was too much. He said she kept licking all day and panting. We have an appointment on Saturday at AMC in Redondo Beach. I pray they'll be able to give some answers and great advice. I also have a friend at work who has a bully and she's offered to have a play date. It's a journey for all of us, adjusting to this new normal. Hug your bully and give them a kiss for me. Thank you again for commenting, it means the world to me:)

OP
Tbearlion

Tbearlion

Dec 15, 2013
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Marley
Update: we went to the vet today and we are very happy!! We feel we have found a caring and very informative vet. We discussed our Lou passing and how it effected Marley. We got some great wipes for her nose, the witch hazel wipes were not quite getting rid of it. The vet believes the sore on her lip is due to habit and anxiety. So Marley got some very low dose anxiety meds to help out. Hopefully within a month or 2 she will get a lot better and stop licking and biting her lip as much. Marliss weighed in at 62.6 pounds, oh my! All in all it was a good visit. We had all of our questions answered and even ones about Lou, ensuring we are all on our way to closure. I'm so thankful for all the recommendations here. Thank you!!!! We have decided Marley needs a companion. She has had one for her whole life and to help with her stress, it's for the best, and really for both my husband and I. Not replacing but honoring the life and love we have experienced. We had thought about a cat but after going to an adoption event today, they are not for us. So another dog it is. Thank you again! Stay tuned for more adventures in the life of Marley!! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update: we went to the vet today and we are very happy!! We feel we have found a caring and very informative vet. We discussed our Lou passing and how it effected Marley. We got some great wipes for her nose, the witch hazel wipes were not quite getting rid of it. The vet believes the sore on her lip is due to habit and anxiety. So Marley got some very low dose anxiety meds to help out. Hopefully within a month or 2 she will get a lot better and stop licking and biting her lip as much. Marliss weighed in at 62.6 pounds, oh my! All in all it was a good visit. We had all of our questions answered and even ones about Lou, ensuring we are all on our way to closure. I'm so thankful for all the recommendations here. Thank you!!!! We have decided Marley needs a companion. She has had one for her whole life and to help with her stress, it's for the best, and really for both my husband and I. Not replacing but honoring the life and love we have experienced. We had thought about a cat but after going to an adoption event today, they are not for us. So another dog it is. Thank you again! Stay tuned for more adventures in the life of Marley!! :)

Fantastic update... Hugs to you all and best of luck in your search for a new family member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=10562]Tbearlion[/MENTION] You are such good and caring parents for Marley. So happy you have a caring vet-and you will have a new sibling for Marley. Hugs to you and Marley.

Last edited by a moderator:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's great news! Thank you for letting us know. Good luck on your search! :D

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online