Red Vulva

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
8.5 yo female bully presents with red vulva, possibly has hair loss in area between vulva and anus. Has had intermittent redness and history of scooting as well. Patient resides in NE Ohio, which has been very frigid, and today 7+ inches of snow. Overall redness and irritation, especially in eyes, rope, ears. Thought of trying Benedryl, but don't want to just jump to drugs. Thoughts, ideas ???

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks is same age and in same weather conditions, southeast PA... Same conditions. I have just wiped her with warm cloth to lessen irritation. So far, she is OK

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
​Will be praying it's simple dx and fix~GOD bless y'all.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Can you post a photo? I would try some desitin or tucks medicated pads to soothe her bottom. Maybe gold bond powder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I, too , was going to suggest Gold Bond. Also she could be scooting because of irritation, or needing anal glands expressed. You can clean her nose rope , and gold bond it-don't get it in her eyes.... Is she irritated on her vulva since the snow-or was it before she has been in snow?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Sometimes redness around the vulva can be sing on an infection as we all know most bullies cant clean themselves we need to do it for them ;-)
Is there any discharge etc coming out of it? -that might be sign of bacterial or fungal infection (fungal infection usually starts from paws but sometimes dog cant have any signs of fungal infection on paws ,face folds etc it straight on their lady parts )
Next thing it might be UTI is she also peeing more often
As you got already great advice on what to do and if shes not better within the next couple of days or at least looking better I would get in her somewhere to see a vet
And in the meaning time bathe her in medicated shampoo living it on the fur for few minutes before rising her with clean water -pat dry irritated areas
Also:
When glands need expressing they usually start "leaking" i never experienced any irritation around lady parts that had to do anything with glands

Other question what food is she on?

Sorry for so many post edits

Last edited:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
She mentioned "scooting" in her description-thus the anal gland reference.:)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.