General Question Bad breath question

DaGmen

Jul 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eli
Eli is now 2 years old. I switched him to Fromm Family Beef frittata food about 6/8 months ago. He has not had any reactions or issues since switching foods.

I don't know exactly when his bad breath started, but for the first year plus I had him there was no issue with his breath.

I get Eli groomed every 2 months and the last time my groomer checked out his mouth and teeth and said everything looked good. I have been checking his teeth and gums ever since I got him and they are perfectly white and clean. There is no sign of bleeding or tartar anywhere. Due to this reason I have never brushed or cleaned his teeth since I got him.

Does anyone know what could be causing the bad breath? Are there any home remedies, products I can use to get the breath under control? Does this warrant a trip to the Vet?

Thanks and happy new year to everyone!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Happy New Year! Perhaps you could try giving him some plain yogurt. It would add good digestive enzymes to his diet. My dogs love yogurt and they think it is a treat!
If his teeth are clean, and no tarter under the gums, and gums are not bleeding, ? perhaps someone else here has more suggestions.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Happy New Year... The yogurt should help as Lynn suggested. I had the same issue with the Fromm once I added the yogurt on Lynn's advice, Banks' breath got better

OP
DaGmen

DaGmen

Jul 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eli
How should I give him the yogurt? Just yogurt alone in his food bowl or mix with his dog food?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How should I give him the yogurt? Just yogurt alone in his food bowl or mix with his dog food?

Yep, i drop a tablespoon full in the kibble

OP
DaGmen

DaGmen

Jul 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eli
Ok thanks!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I'm going to start putting a spoonful in my wife's dinner.

Better be careful-if SHE read this, no tellin' what might be in YOUR dinner....OR there may Be NO dinner:barf::tapfoot:

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Is it better to use Greek yogurt or just plain yogurt? Stella had developed the same problem, but her teeth and gums look just fine.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Is it better to use Greek yogurt or just plain yogurt? Stella had developed the same problem, but her teeth and gums look just fine.

Greek has a lot more probiotics so I'd use that. Make sure it's the unflavoured one. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
great thread! i have the same problem with Izzy and she eats Fromm's Beef Fritatta. I will start adding yogurt to her frozen treats to see if it gets better. Her breath is almost like blood smell.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We don't put it on Harlea's food. She gets a bowl of Kefir in the morning with her HardyPet and a bowl of yogurt with bananas about an hour before she goes to bed. She never has bad breath or room clearing gas. Some peeps use Greek yogurt but I won't because I don’t want to contribute to the creation toxic waste that come from the process of making it. For every 1 ounce of greek yogurt created there is 3 ounces of acid whey created which is toxic to the environment.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
DaGmen

DaGmen

Jul 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eli
Unfortunately Eli's breath has not gotten better, maybe even a little worse. I tried the yogurt in his food for about 3/4 weeks.

I now see a little redness on his upper gums and now can see a little bit of tartar on his canine teeth. I have never brushed his teeth.

Should I take him to the vet and have them clean his teeth, is that possible? I was just looking on Amazon for dog breath/cleaning products. Should I try out the water additives and see if that helps the bad breath? If yes, can someone give me some product names to look for?

Most Reactions