On the road of recovery after ACL surgery

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Glad she came through the surgery okay and on the road to recovery. I still don't know about Ace yet but most likely will need surgery. What ACL procedure did they use? You may have already stated but I can't remember. Hope the recovery goes well and she returns to 100 %

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She is moving real well and keeping her leg up.... Best of luck with the recovery

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=7587]Rural mystic[/MENTION]

Izzy was already keeping her leg up prior to surgery. That's why the vet said she would have no trouble learning how to walk on 3 legs... he said dogs can adapt fairly easy to situations like this. On Saturday she started using her leg again. She limps when she first wakes up but once the muscles warm up she put the leg down and uses it as long as she is walking slow.

We opted for the lateral suture for Izzy. She is 46lbs and we will reduce her activity level to avoid the same problem in the future. Izzy just has a tendecy of going crazy with other dogs and she runs like she is a greyhound! I will keep you posted of her recovery. The lateral suture requires 6 weeks of reduced activity.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hoping Izzy will have a quick and comfortable recovery. We can tell that she's such a trooper!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Speedy recovery, Izzy! You are moving along.I know you were in a hurry to get back home!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Missed this somehow :( So glad Izzy is home and recovering!

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
1535613_386570721487033_252875140_n.jpg

Izzy Update: It has been 13 days since Izzy had her surgery and she is doing great. We got the stitches removed yesterday and the vet was glad to see Izzy happy and bouncing up and down with energy at the clinic. Her walk still is a bit "stiff" and when she tried to walk faster she will pull her leg from the floor, thats when we know to walk slower so she uses her leg at all times.

So far it has been a good recovery. Vet said 2 more weeks until she can use stairs (we live on the second floor of an apartment building so I have been taking the elevator for her to go potty and when I take her to the street she still uses 2 sets of steps to go outside but that is fine). Another month for her to not need a leash when we walk and be able to run and 2 months for dog parks... total recovery comes on 5 months after the surgery where she will be 100% back to her normal activity.

She even adapted to her neck pillow! She found ways of sleeping on it that looked pretty comfortable! She has been a great patient, understanding that her time inside the crate is needed. When she gets too excited (usually when my bf arrives home... she gets crazy!) we try to control her and will crate her until she calms down. She jumped 2 on the couch/floor since the surgery. I freaked out but the vet told me to relax and let her be a dog! Of course we still want to avoid that during recovery.

Just wanted to share this with the group!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Izzy looks really good. Hope she is doing well!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So glad she is recovering so well! Thank you for sharing your progress with us, it will certainly help someone in the future.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's such good news! Thank you for letting us know, I'm so happy that she is getting better.I love those pictures she is such a sweetheart, I love that mug too. :)

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Hope Izzy is doing better and better every day. I read this with great interest because the vet thinks this may be in Dudley's future...I dread the thought of surgery...we are trying hard to avoid it, but it we may not be able to! Thanks for the update and the good news...helpful as I consider options for my boy!

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
I hope Izzy is doing well! Oliver had TTA surgery in May 2012. The only way you could tell he had it is because of his scar. Otherwise, he is as normal as a bully can be. (Maybe I should rephrase that. They aren't too normal. Haha!) Speedy recovery, Izzy!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online