Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 13

Thread: Help! Allergic reaction

  1. #1
    Bully Bootie Duty AmberXo's Avatar
    Real Name
    Amber
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    178
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brynnlee
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default Help! Allergic reaction

    Woke up this morning to Brynn rubbing her nose all over the floor - after I saw her face I first about had a heart attack, but her whole face is swollen and I could barley see her eyes. She was breathing really heavy to, and her front legs are full of bumps. I gave her Benadryl and took her to the vet and we got prednisone and so I gave her that as well. She isn't itching as much, but she still is breathing kind of heavy... Is there anything else I can do to help her... I wish she would just lay down and relax but that's obviously easier said than done. I feel so bad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

    Whoever said diamonds were a girl's best friend has never owned a bulldog <3

  2. #2
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    10,649
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    6680

    Default Re: Help! Allergic reaction

    Did she get bitten by something? The prednisone should help, but if her breathing doesn't get better-(she may have swelling in her throat-if not better soon)I would alert the vet, and perhaps bring her back there. In meantime you could put a fan in front of her-but don't wait too long if breathing doesn't get better. Could be stress-but maybe not.....
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

  3. #3
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,182
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11515

    Default Re: Help! Allergic reaction

    UGH!! This happen to Banks twice... she was bit by a spider or bee, we never knoew which. The vet only gave you the pred.... they did not do a Benedyl shot to get it in her system quick?

    It takes time for the drugs to kick in and get the sweeling down... nothing else you can do, but keep an eye on her breathing if it gets worse and not better, get her back tothe vet
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  4. #4
    Bully Bootie Duty AmberXo's Avatar
    Real Name
    Amber
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    178
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brynnlee
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default Re: Help! Allergic reaction

    No they said they didn't like the shots the swelling is down a little now but she still is irritated but breathing normal now. Has any of your bullies showed a huge appetite increase w prednisone? Ik that is what they said to expect but Brynn acts like she is starving. Not sure what else to do to help her...

    Whoever said diamonds were a girl's best friend has never owned a bulldog <3

  5. #5
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Texas Carol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    7,202
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)
    2742

    Default Re: Help! Allergic reaction

    Quote Originally Posted by AmberXo View Post
    No they said they didn't like the shots the swelling is down a little now but she still is irritated but breathing normal now. Has any of your bullies showed a huge appetite increase w prednisone? Ik that is what they said to expect but Brynn acts like she is starving. Not sure what else to do to help her...

    Sorry this is happening and yes, she will have increased appetite and might
    be irritable/moody. Try warming her food and adding in drained, green beans
    to help fill her up. Snacks could be water packed or olive oil packed 2-3 Sardines,
    very soft cooked boiled egg (leave shell on), 1/2 avocado (peeled & pitted).
    Let us know how she does~GOD bless!



    My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

  6. #6
    Bully Bootie Duty AmberXo's Avatar
    Real Name
    Amber
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    178
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brynnlee
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default Re: Help! Allergic reaction

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post

    Sorry this is happening and yes, she will have increased appetite and might
    be irritable/moody. Try warming her food and adding in drained, green beans
    to help fill her up. Snacks could be water packed or olive oil packed 2-3 Sardines,
    very soft cooked boiled egg (leave shell on), 1/2 avocado (peeled & pitted).
    Let us know how she does~GOD bless!

    Thanks for the ideas! She hates green beans but she loves peanut butter so I gave her a little bit of that and she is laying down with me now. I will try some other ideas you mentioned when needed! Thanks again!

    Whoever said diamonds were a girl's best friend has never owned a bulldog <3

  7. #7
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Texas Carol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    7,202
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)
    2742

    Default Re: Help! Allergic reaction

    Quote Originally Posted by AmberXo View Post
    Thanks for the ideas! She hates green beans but she loves peanut butter so I gave her a little bit of that and she is laying down with me now. I will try some other ideas you mentioned when needed! Thanks again!

    Try adding a bit of broth or a dollop of cottage cheese or canned chicken breast
    (about 1 TBSP) I get an organic one in the canned tuna section at Walmart, the
    sardines are there too, you can use all of these as toppers to get her started.
    Put it together, add a small bit of water, micro 30 seconds. That's how I got Cami
    eating hers and now she'll eat her kibble & green beans, warmed w/no toppings.


    My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

  8. #8
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    DudleysMom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsauken, NJ
    Posts
    1,548
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
    Likes (Received)
    64

    Default Re: Help! Allergic reaction

    Dudley had something similar when he was a little puppy - it was an allergy to one of his shots. He swelled up like a balloon, hives everything. I was terrified. I shoved benedryl down him and high-tailed it to the vet. They said if I hadn't given him the benadryl, his throat might have closed. Scary, scary stuff. They gave him a shot of benadryl and the prednisone...he was better - less swollen with fewer hives - in just a few hours. But I will never, ever forget it. I was terrified. Best wishes for your baby's recovery!

    Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them...
    Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have. -- Thom Jones

  9. #9
    Bully Bootie Duty AmberXo's Avatar
    Real Name
    Amber
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    178
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brynnlee
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default Re: Help! Allergic reaction

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post

    Try adding a bit of broth or a dollop of cottage cheese or canned chicken breast
    (about 1 TBSP) I get an organic one in the canned tuna section at Walmart, the
    sardines are there too, you can use all of these as toppers to get her started.
    Put it together, add a small bit of water, micro 30 seconds. That's how I got Cami
    eating hers and now she'll eat her kibble & green beans, warmed w/no toppings.
    great ideas! I will make a trip to the store today and give it a try! she usually likes everything so I was surprised when she didn't like the green beans!

    Whoever said diamonds were a girl's best friend has never owned a bulldog <3

  10. #10
    Bully Bootie Duty AmberXo's Avatar
    Real Name
    Amber
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    178
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brynnlee
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default Re: Help! Allergic reaction

    Quote Originally Posted by DudleysMom View Post
    Dudley had something similar when he was a little puppy - it was an allergy to one of his shots. He swelled up like a balloon, hives everything. I was terrified. I shoved benedryl down him and high-tailed it to the vet. They said if I hadn't given him the benadryl, his throat might have closed. Scary, scary stuff. They gave him a shot of benadryl and the prednisone...he was better - less swollen with fewer hives - in just a few hours. But I will never, ever forget it. I was terrified. Best wishes for your baby's recovery!
    Oh it is terrifying! I about had a heart attack! I also shoved Benadryl down her throat and hauled serious butt to the vet, probably looked like a crazy lady yelling in my car for people to move and hurry it up but I felt so bad for her! They also told me her throat could've closed had I not given her Benadryl first thing. All of her hives are gone now and majority of swelling is gone so I feel much better that she is doing better but it's unreal something can cause such a problem! Much happier bully today!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

    Whoever said diamonds were a girl's best friend has never owned a bulldog <3

  11. #11
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,729
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5585

    Default Re: Help! Allergic reaction

    This has happened to me several times w/both my bullies. I would give them benadryl, but at the vets they would always give them a benadryl shot plus the predisone. They also told me to give them benadryl every 6 hours for a couple of days, to make sure the swelling went down. I'm so sorry, it is very scary when this happens...

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  12. #12
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    10,649
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    6680

    Default Re: Help! Allergic reaction

    Yes, I always keep Benadryl on hand. I have had to take pred. several times-and it sure makes ME hungry! Hope your girl is still on the mend! I have had a few scares like that. No fun for sure.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •