Help! Allergic reaction

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
Woke up this morning to Brynn rubbing her nose all over the floor - after I saw her face I first about had a heart attack, but her whole face is swollen and I could barley see her eyes. She was breathing really heavy to, and her front legs are full of bumps. I gave her Benadryl and took her to the vet and we got prednisone and so I gave her that as well. She isn't itching as much, but she still is breathing kind of heavy... Is there anything else I can do to help her... I wish she would just lay down and relax but that's obviously easier said than done. I feel so bad :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 143

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Did she get bitten by something? The prednisone should help, but if her breathing doesn't get better-(she may have swelling in her throat-if not better soon)I would alert the vet, and perhaps bring her back there. In meantime you could put a fan in front of her-but don't wait too long if breathing doesn't get better. Could be stress-but maybe not.....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UGH!! This happen to Banks twice... she was bit by a spider or bee, we never knoew which. The vet only gave you the pred.... they did not do a Benedyl shot to get it in her system quick?

It takes time for the drugs to kick in and get the sweeling down... nothing else you can do, but keep an eye on her breathing if it gets worse and not better, get her back tothe vet

OP
AmberXo

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
No they said they didn't like the shots :( the swelling is down a little now but she still is irritated but breathing normal now. Has any of your bullies showed a huge appetite increase w prednisone? Ik that is what they said to expect but Brynn acts like she is starving. Not sure what else to do to help her...

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
No they said they didn't like the shots :( the swelling is down a little now but she still is irritated but breathing normal now. Has any of your bullies showed a huge appetite increase w prednisone? Ik that is what they said to expect but Brynn acts like she is starving. Not sure what else to do to help her...

Sorry this is happening and yes, she will have increased appetite and might
be irritable/moody. Try warming her food and adding in drained, green beans
to help fill her up. Snacks could be water packed or olive oil packed 2-3 Sardines,
very soft cooked boiled egg (leave shell on), 1/2 avocado (peeled & pitted).
Let us know how she does~GOD bless!

OP
AmberXo

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee

Sorry this is happening and yes, she will have increased appetite and might
be irritable/moody. Try warming her food and adding in drained, green beans
to help fill her up. Snacks could be water packed or olive oil packed 2-3 Sardines,
very soft cooked boiled egg (leave shell on), 1/2 avocado (peeled & pitted).
Let us know how she does~GOD bless!

Thanks for the ideas! She hates green beans but she loves peanut butter so I gave her a little bit of that and she is laying down with me now. I will try some other ideas you mentioned when needed! Thanks again!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks for the ideas! She hates green beans but she loves peanut butter so I gave her a little bit of that and she is laying down with me now. I will try some other ideas you mentioned when needed! Thanks again!

Try adding a bit of broth or a dollop of cottage cheese or canned chicken breast
(about 1 TBSP) I get an organic one in the canned tuna section at Walmart, the
sardines are there too, you can use all of these as toppers to get her started.
Put it together, add a small bit of water, micro 30 seconds. That's how I got Cami
eating hers and now she'll eat her kibble & green beans, warmed w/no toppings.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Dudley had something similar when he was a little puppy - it was an allergy to one of his shots. He swelled up like a balloon, hives everything. I was terrified. I shoved benedryl down him and high-tailed it to the vet. They said if I hadn't given him the benadryl, his throat might have closed. Scary, scary stuff. They gave him a shot of benadryl and the prednisone...he was better - less swollen with fewer hives - in just a few hours. But I will never, ever forget it. I was terrified. Best wishes for your baby's recovery!

OP
AmberXo

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee

Try adding a bit of broth or a dollop of cottage cheese or canned chicken breast
(about 1 TBSP) I get an organic one in the canned tuna section at Walmart, the
sardines are there too, you can use all of these as toppers to get her started.
Put it together, add a small bit of water, micro 30 seconds. That's how I got Cami
eating hers and now she'll eat her kibble & green beans, warmed w/no toppings.

great ideas! I will make a trip to the store today and give it a try! :) she usually likes everything so I was surprised when she didn't like the green beans!

OP
AmberXo

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
Dudley had something similar when he was a little puppy - it was an allergy to one of his shots. He swelled up like a balloon, hives everything. I was terrified. I shoved benedryl down him and high-tailed it to the vet. They said if I hadn't given him the benadryl, his throat might have closed. Scary, scary stuff. They gave him a shot of benadryl and the prednisone...he was better - less swollen with fewer hives - in just a few hours. But I will never, ever forget it. I was terrified. Best wishes for your baby's recovery!

Oh it is terrifying! I about had a heart attack! I also shoved Benadryl down her throat and hauled serious butt to the vet, probably looked like a crazy lady yelling in my car for people to move and hurry it up but I felt so bad for her! They also told me her throat could've closed had I not given her Benadryl first thing. All of her hives are gone now and majority of swelling is gone so I feel much better that she is doing better but it's unreal something can cause such a problem! Much happier bully today!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 114

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This has happened to me several times w/both my bullies. I would give them benadryl, but at the vets they would always give them a benadryl shot plus the predisone. They also told me to give them benadryl every 6 hours for a couple of days, to make sure the swelling went down. I'm so sorry, it is very scary when this happens...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes, I always keep Benadryl on hand. I have had to take pred. several times-and it sure makes ME hungry! Hope your girl is still on the mend! I have had a few scares like that. No fun for sure.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Oh it is terrifying! I about had a heart attack! I also shoved Benadryl down her throat and hauled serious butt to the vet, probably looked like a crazy lady yelling in my car for people to move and hurry it up but I felt so bad for her! They also told me her throat could've closed had I not given her Benadryl first thing. All of her hives are gone now and majority of swelling is gone so I feel much better that she is doing better but it's unreal something can cause such a problem! Much happier bully today!

Yes it was at that moment that I knew EXACTLY why I had never had children...I couldn't handle it! I'm so glad she is feeling much better!

Most Reactions