Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh no!...just logged on and reading this about Lily.
Immediately starting fervent prayers that she is
being dx'ed and treated, please let us know about
her update. I'm so sorry you are going thru this
worry & stress~GOD be with y'all today.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Sending prayers! Keep us posted!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OP
V

VegasGeorge

Jan 13, 2013
Sin City in the Great Mojave Desert
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Daisy
Lily is still at the ER vet. Her stomach kept distending every time she ate or drank anything. They tried medicine overnight to see if they couldn't stimulate the stomach/bowel into starting to work right, but with no success. So they opened her up this morning and found what they described as "A piece of orange plastic in her intestine about the size of half a golf ball." The operation went well, no complications, and if everything goes according to plan, she will come home on Thursday. So, it wasn't bloat after all. I've searched the house, yard, and garage. I can't find anything made of orange plastic that might relate to her problem. This is the 2nd time she has ingested a foreign object and had to have surgery. Am I a bad doggy parent? Honestly, we live in very clean, organized surroundings. And we do try to watch our dogs and stop them from picking up anything they shouldn't. I'm going to talk to our trainer about training them not to pick things up unless they get permission. I really don't want to have to put some kind of muzzle on them. But I can't take too many more episodes like this!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Lily is still at the ER vet. Her stomach kept distending every time she ate or drank anything. They tried medicine overnight to see if they couldn't stimulate the stomach/bowel into starting to work right, but with no success. So they opened her up this morning and found what they described as "A piece of orange plastic in her intestine about the size of half a golf ball." The operation went well, no complications, and if everything goes according to plan, she will come home on Thursday. So, it wasn't bloat after all. I've searched the house, yard, and garage. I can't find anything made of orange plastic that might relate to her problem. This is the 2nd time she has ingested a foreign object and had to have surgery. Am I a bad doggy parent? Honestly, we live in very clean, organized surroundings. And we do try to watch our dogs and stop them from picking up anything they shouldn't. I'm going to talk to our trainer about training them not to pick things up unless they get permission. I really don't want to have to put some kind of muzzle on them. But I can't take too many more episodes like this!

I'm so relieved to read they found out what was wrong! If you are a bad bully parent, I am too! Our girl Yuna had the same, a blue rubber doughnut. Like you, I have no idea what it is!!! Give her our love!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
So happy Lily's ok and you've figured out the issue. Pls don't be too hard on yourself, accidents happen. There's been numerous cases of obstruction this year, unfortunately.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Great news. Heck then I am a bad parent too since bertha will try to eat anything. I have just been lucky

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=7776]VegasGeorge[/MENTION], you are definitely not a "bad doggy parent"! You got Lily the medical attention she needed and that's what matters. Like Jamelyn said, accidents happen. Heaven knows my two have ingested things before, like the arm of a rubber Gumby toy for instance. I'm so happy that Lily is doing better and she's recovering from her surgery. Thank you for updating us!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
So happy to hear Lilly is doing fine and if you are a bad mummy so am I Ftse used to eat everything now he doesn't.

Sorry I am late with my response I di not see your post until now.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm glad that they got it out! Luckily Orion hasn't suffered from an obstruction...although not from a lack of trying. She usually throws the stuff up....sometimes a week after! A santa hat off of her teddy bear. The entire arm off of her teddy bear (more than a few times). Part of a cow hoove, the plastic protectors off the handles of her kennel. It goes on and on. I don't even realize the stuff is missing until she upchucks it.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Thank God Lilly is ok, so glad the ER found out what was making her sick. Give Lilly a Hug from me, Susan

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank GOD, so relieved to hear this great news!

NO...you are not a bad parent...you are a wonderful parent
and she is a lucky, lucky bully :)

GOD is good, always...GOD is good.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Thanks for the update. I am glad they found out what was wrong. Let us know how she is doing and when she comes home.

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Thank you GOd for saving Lily. May God continue to bless Lily, her parents, and the wonderful vets that were able to diagnose and treat Lily through the wonderful grace of the Lord. Hugs and Kisses to Lily from shamrock13 and Hooch.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Owow, ow, it is great that she is going to be OK and you got her to the ER I time to get that thing out of her. I had a recent operation with Banks , thanks to a stone that we had no idea she had eaten.... They are just to fast.

hugs to you and Lily

B

Baxter Tiberius

If it's a blockage.....a regular xray might not be enought. @Baxter Tiberius??

Depends on the object. In Baxters case it was a spongy yet firm soft material. Because of this it was invisible on X Ray, as X ray is told to ignore soft tissue and only image dense objects.

They did ultrasound and also couldn't spot it.

The key was lack of bowel movements. Super watery dripping mouth for no apparent reason. Pale gums. And vomiting within an hour or two of eating.

If blockage is in the stomach not the intestines, I believe they can still have bowel movements.

Ultrasound is typically a better alternative to X ray.

EDIT: glad everything is okay! One thing I've learned through all of this: be very aware of the symptoms of blockage, because your vet MIGHT NOT BE!!!!! :no:

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.