URGENT!!! Just got a English Bulldog

Zachary Guilbault

Dec 29, 2013
Killeen,Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rhino
I have just got a 4 month old English Bulldog and the owner didn't take care of it, they were giving him pop corn and let him sleep in his own poop. He is 15 pounds under weight, we just put him on Blue Buffalo and he don't know how to poop because he just stands their and not squat and he walks while he does it. His poop is lose and not firm so i don't know what to do i have to clean his butt or he will get poo all over everything. I need HELP PLEASE.... I don't know what to do i will probably go to the vet tomorrow because i think he as anal glands problems. Am i doing this right or something wrong i need answers.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Welcome to the site. Thanks so much for rescuing the poor little guy. We have a couple of bullies here that don't squat when they poop, such as @Libra926's Vegas. How about peeing, is he able to control that? At 4 months and not being previously trained, it's very understandable that he doesn't know the proper peeing/pooping etiquette. It's going to take some time, but for now, I would set a schedule for him to do his business outside, like puppies. For instance, I'd try taking him out every couple of hours, and every time after rough play, right after he wakes up, right before he sleeps, and a couple of times in the middle of the morning.

Last edited:
OP
Zachary Guilbault

Zachary Guilbault

Dec 29, 2013
Killeen,Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rhino
We bring him outside but don't go to the bathroom, outside he waits till we get back in the house then he pees and poops. Is it because its cold outside and waits until we are in a warm house. lol

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas does NOT squat to poop. He poops and moves....which is frustrating ONLY when we are walking him. He can go poop and I will never know until I encounter it on the way back from our walk. He's a silly boy. I wipe both Vegas and Orion's bum each time they go poop.....just cause I don't want poopie butts on my couch, blankets...and rug. At 4 months.....I can't image anal glands being an issue, but you never really know. Go in and let them know your concerns. Let them do a puppy health check and make sure there isn't any issues with the little one.

Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
Zachary Guilbault

Zachary Guilbault

Dec 29, 2013
Killeen,Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rhino
i have just heard that he had a anal prolapse and that is probably why he has a problem, what is the unusual problem is that while he sleeps he has poop ooze out of him. Which just happen. Is this normal?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
We bring him outside but don't go to the bathroom, outside he waits till we get back in the house then he pees and poops. Is it because its cold outside and waits until we are in a warm house. lol

Maybe. lol. What I did with my guys is that we wait outside until they do their business and once we notice they do, we give them tons of praise ... similar to cheering for your favourite sports team ... that kind of loud and excitement. Sounds silly, but works wonders. Inside, watch him like a hawk. If you notice him squatting, stop him and lead him outside. It's tricky because you have to catch him right before he does it, not a few seconds before nor a few seconds after, it needs to be right before. It's one of the most effective way they'll learn.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Great decision taking him to the vet
Change of food (especially from corn) can take a few days to settle their poop
Make sure your pup is also wormed ;-)
And finally welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new addition

OP
Zachary Guilbault

Zachary Guilbault

Dec 29, 2013
Killeen,Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rhino
They went to a county vet for his anal prolapse and his anus is not directly straight it is more towards the left i just want to know if this is normal. Like i said i am new so i like to make sure that he is okay. And he has a leaking butt so every time we clean it more comes out.

Last edited:

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
Well having solid poop might help this problem some. Kinda like babies with diarreha(sp?). Having him on a good food and getting his stomach settled will go a long ways in getting his poop solid

kristimorrill

Aug 10, 2013
san diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie, Daisy and George
Blue buffalo gave both our dogs runny poop. You can add a little pure pumpkin puree to his food which we firm it up. One of ours also doesnt squat...she walks and poops at the same time. Hope he gets better soon!

OP
Zachary Guilbault

Zachary Guilbault

Dec 29, 2013
Killeen,Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rhino
I think i need to go to the vet because if he is lying down the poop will come out of him and i don't have that much money for surgery if he needed it....

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Just saw this thread. This little pup certainly needs to be seen by a knowledgeable vet. His pooping problem could be from never having GOOD food (or ANY food), and it will take time for him to adjust to good nutrition. I hope he will see a vet today,because if he wasn't treated right-as you say, he must certainly have worms,and he also needs a physical. As old as I am-even having worked for vet,when younger, I still get sickened by the way some so-called humans will treat animals.:bad: Get to a good vet-and best of luck for you and the poor baby.
re: peeing,pooping-he probably has spent his short life without ANY attention to potty training-so start at the basics.....

OP
Zachary Guilbault

Zachary Guilbault

Dec 29, 2013
Killeen,Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rhino
I just called the vet that the last owner took him and they never heard of the owner or remember doing a anal prolapse so we have a appointment at 2:30 today so hopefully they see what the problem is.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think i need to go to the vet because if he is lying down the poop will come out of him and i don't have that much money for surgery if he needed it....

Hello and thank you for taking in thei baby and giving him a new home.

Anal prolaspe is going to cause all the issue you are mentioning, it will take a couple of months for his system to settle in and get to 'normal'. I have a French Bulldog that had this as a young pup and he was on a special diet (somethig from Science Diet, which is fine short term)for two months then SLOWLY transitioned to a high quality food (Fromm Pork and Peas). Even after the transition, he would poo 4 or 5 times a day , but after about 3 months he settled in and it is all cleared up.

Get him on a schedule and use lots of praise and treats (use his kibble) to get him to learn to go outside.. try to stay out there till he goes and praise, praise, praise.

OP
Zachary Guilbault

Zachary Guilbault

Dec 29, 2013
Killeen,Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rhino
We have a name for him now "RHINO" and we took him to the vet and he has nerve damage in his anal region so we have to put ointment on him, we have to put pampers on him or he will poop everywhere he may always have this problem but hopefully not his backend is raw looking and when the doc put his finger in him. EWWWWW, Rhino didn't even feel it is so hopefully in 2 months or so he will feel much better. He also had mange so he's on medicine for that to so that could also be the problem, so he is in good hands now. We are trying to bring this fellow back in to shape....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.