Piece of grass in eye

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Holly has a piece of grass in her eye. We have been trying to get it out and been unsuccessful. I'm worried we might scratch her eye so we have stopped trying, given her some Benadryl and will take her to the vet first thing in the morning.

Her eye is clearly red and irritated. She's acting normal but we are super worried. Any suggestions for us tonight?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Can one of you hold her head while the other one tries to flush her eye
with a gentle eye wash (like GenTeals Eye Drops from WalMart, etc)?
Poor baby (and y'all), sure hope it works itself to the corner where you
can get it.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I understand you can use a sterile saline solution to flush the eye. That would be the same kind of solution for contact lenses. Hoping you will be able to flush the grass blade out of Holly's eye!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Pure saline and not the no rub enzymatic contact solution is very very close to the same salinity content of a bullies eye so it should be fine to use.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
HTX Bully

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
All we have is the no rubb stuff. Off to the store I go, thanks!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You've already got great advice from above members, just wanted to say I'm sorry, and hope you get the piece of grass out of her eye. Sending hugs, love and prayers to you and Holly, hope she feels better soon.

OP
HTX Bully

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Holly got a thorough cleaning tonight. A long bath, ACV rinse, eye drops. We didn't see the piece of grass leave her eye but it seems to be gone. She was blinking that eye a lot and that eye was making a lot of goop. Both of those have stopped. We keeping checking and everything looks back to normal. We don't see the grass anymore and haven't for at least an hour or so. Her irritation and redness has gone down as well.

Hollys in bed sawing logs right now and we'll check her out again in the morning. Thanks for all the help :thanks:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Holly got a thorough cleaning tonight. A long bath, ACV rinse, eye drops. We didn't see the piece of grass leave her eye but it seems to be gone. She was blinking that eye a lot and that eye was making a lot of goop. Both of those have stopped. We keeping checking and everything looks back to normal. We don't see the grass anymore and haven't for at least an hour or so. Her irritation and redness has gone down as well.

Hollys in bed sawing logs right now and we'll check her out again in the morning. Thanks for all the help :thanks:

Excellent! Love this place... always learn someting new

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
So glad to hear it!!! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online