Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 2 year old bully suddenly limping

  1. #1
    Pooper scooper Infinite1's Avatar
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    26
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default 2 year old bully suddenly limping

    Hello all,

    My 2yr old bully Spike has suddenly started limping. Yesterday he was his normal self: sleeping, laying around, chewing on his toy, etc. I left the house to run an errand with my wife and upon our return he seemed to have difficulty sitting up. When we took him out of his crate he would not put any weight on his front left leg. Naturally, I'm quite worried. Has anyone else experienced this? I did take a look at the leg and paws and didn't see anything abnormal. No bites, split nails or anything stuck in his paw. I've even checked the mobility in his elbow joint and shoulder to see if he would react but there seems to be nothing.

    If anyone has any tips on how I can remedy his pain it would greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!

    Ryan

  2. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    savemejeebus's Avatar
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    6,208
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    230
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: 2 year old bully suddenly limping

    I'm hoping it's only a muscle cramp from sleeping on it wrong. So this happened yesterday? If so, did you see any improvement today? Naturally, keep him on bed rest and don't get him too excited and avoid jumping on the couch or too many stairs.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

  3. #3
    Pooper scooper Infinite1's Avatar
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    26
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: 2 year old bully suddenly limping

    Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, Spike is still limping when he does walk to it seems like he's pointing his leg a different direction I'm assuming since he trying to not put any pressure on it. I've been keeping him on his bed pad lying down and not walking much. At times I'll give him a boost to get on the bed since it's more comfortable.

    Would ice or heat compress work? It doesn't seem to look swollen

  4. #4
    Wrinkle Wiper Harleyleeotis12321's Avatar
    Real Name
    Leigh Anne
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Buffalo Grove, IL
    Posts
    101
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harley Lee Otis Davidson Eckert
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: 2 year old bully suddenly limping

    Aww poor baby..I recently had a prob with Harley, It could have been a few things, I know he strained it and it was super cold out,,he went from limping to stiffness and walking slowly it took about 2 weeks and no vet trip. We kept as best we could from jumping etc. During this time i started giving him Cosequin DS plus MSM....He is gliding and moving beautifully BTW he is 2...My friend buys Cosequin at Cosco but its only an online deal, 2 bottles 180 ct. for $74 ! At the vet 1 bottle is $140.00 ...Keep an I on him and it may be that he does need a vet. every dog is different. Hope he feels better soon.

  5. #5
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Petra's Avatar
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Location
    Naboomspruit, South Africa.
    Posts
    2,880
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)
    1384

    Default Re: 2 year old bully suddenly limping

    My Boeboe once got at muscle injury when suddenly rushing towards another dog pulling the leash... she limped quite bad from it. We took her to the vet and she got some kind of shot (can't remember what it was) and pain medicine. I don't know if it might be a pulled muscle maybe? Hope Spike feels better he sure looks cute
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.



  6. #6
    Pooper scooper Infinite1's Avatar
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    26
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: 2 year old bully suddenly limping

    Thanks everyone...I'm hoping it is just a muscle pull. I just find it odd that he was perfectly normal then just limping...I'll figure out how to post a video on here so everyone can see.

  7. #7
    Pooper scooper Infinite1's Avatar
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    26
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: 2 year old bully suddenly limping

    Thank you for this I will look into this for spike. By the way, What is MSM?

  8. #8
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Davidh's Avatar
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    13,246
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)
    1555

    Default Re: 2 year old bully suddenly limping

    He may have slept on it wrong or pulled it earlier in the day and it is just now getting sore. I would see how he is tomorrow and if it is getting better, then I would not worry about it. They will do this sometimes, especially when they are still young.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie


  9. #9
    I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    KMARINO's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Bradenton Fl.
    Posts
    7,294
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)
    181

    Default Re: 2 year old bully suddenly limping

    Vegas has done this, he jumped off our very high bed and pulled a back leg muscle. I took him to the vet and he got a shot of steroids and I had to not allow him to jump. I put clothes baskets on all the couches while I was at work. Just takes time to heal, you might want to get a steroid shot if he's not better by tomorrow.

  10. #10
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,125
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11467

    Default Re: 2 year old bully suddenly limping

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite1 View Post
    Thank you for this I will look into this for spike. By the way, What is MSM?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyleeotis12321 View Post
    Aww poor baby..I recently had a prob with Harley, It could have been a few things, I know he strained it and it was super cold out,,he went from limping to stiffness and walking slowly it took about 2 weeks and no vet trip. We kept as best we could from jumping etc. During this time i started giving him Cosequin DS plus MSM....He is gliding and moving beautifully BTW he is 2...My friend buys Cosequin at Cosco but its only an online deal, 2 bottles 180 ct. for $74 ! At the vet 1 bottle is $140.00 ...Keep an I on him and it may be that he does need a vet. every dog is different. Hope he feels better soon.
    the gang has you covered... please keep us posted! And, I am interested in the MSM as well... what is it?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  11. #11
    Wrinkle Wiper Harleyleeotis12321's Avatar
    Real Name
    Leigh Anne
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Buffalo Grove, IL
    Posts
    101
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harley Lee Otis Davidson Eckert
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: 2 year old bully suddenly limping

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    the gang has you covered... please keep us posted! And, I am interested in the MSM as well... what is it?
    @Infinite1


    Methylsulfonylmethane. BELOW taken from Wikipedia:

    Although no medical uses for MSM have been approved by any government, a variety of health benefits have been claimed and studied. Stanley W. Jacob reported having administered MSM to over 18,000 patients with a variety of ailments;[3] he co-authored a book promoting MSM with a variety of claims, including a utility as a natural source of "biologically activesulfur,"[4] suggesting that people are deficient in such forms of sulfur in their dietary intake. There is no Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) or Daily Value established for sulfur and sufficient dietary sources are readily available in onions, garlic and cruciferous vegetables and in protein-containing foods, including nuts, seeds, milk and eggs (whites and yolks).[5]
    The claims for the need for sulfur supplementation originate with Robert Herschler, a biochemist who patented "Dietary and pharmaceutical uses of methylsulfonylmethane and compositions comprising it" in 1982; he claimed that MSM was useful in stress, mucous-membrane inflammation, allergies and gastrointestinal conditions.[6]
    MSM is sold as a dietary supplement and marketed with a variety of claims, often in combination with glucosamine and/or chondroitin for helping to treat or prevent osteoarthritis. According to one review, "The benefits claimed [for MSM] far exceed the number of scientific studies. It is hard to build a strong case for its use other than for treating arthritis problems."[7]
    Moreover, in cases involving topical therapeutics, the role of MSM as an active agent, per se, versus its having a role in promoting skin permeation (in manner, akin to its solvent relative DMSO) must be characterized/controlled.[8] The biochemical effects of supplemental methylsulfonylmethane are poorly understood. Some researchers have suggested that MSM hasanti-inflammatory effects.[9] The spectrum of biological effects of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and MSM differ, but those of DMSO may be mediated, at least in part, by MSM.[10]
    Herschler's patent documents, and much of the alternative medical literature supporting MSM use, claim that "the average diet is deficient in methylsulfonylmethane because it is readily lost during conventional food processing, such as frying, dehydrating, dilution with synthetic fillers and other poorly nutritional additives, cooking, radiation or pasteurizing, and long-term storage". According to Quackwatch, "this statement is absurd, because the amount of sulfur in protein foods is not affected by processing. Since Americans tend to consume more protein than they need, "sulfur deficiency" is very unlikely and would not occur without obvious evidence of severe malnutrition. If it could occur, the remedy would be to eat adequate protein, not to supplement with MSM".[5]

  12. #12
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,125
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11467

    Default Re: 2 year old bully suddenly limping

    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyleeotis12321 View Post
    @Infinite1


    Methylsulfonylmethane. BELOW taken from Wikipedia:

    Although no medical uses for MSM have been approved by any government, a variety of health benefits have been claimed and studied. Stanley W. Jacob reported having administered MSM to over 18,000 patients with a variety of ailments;[3] he co-authored a book promoting MSM with a variety of claims, including a utility as a natural source of "biologically activesulfur,"[4] suggesting that people are deficient in such forms of sulfur in their dietary intake. There is no Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) or Daily Value established for sulfur and sufficient dietary sources are readily available in onions, garlic and cruciferous vegetables and in protein-containing foods, including nuts, seeds, milk and eggs (whites and yolks).[5]
    The claims for the need for sulfur supplementation originate with Robert Herschler, a biochemist who patented "Dietary and pharmaceutical uses of methylsulfonylmethane and compositions comprising it" in 1982; he claimed that MSM was useful in stress, mucous-membrane inflammation, allergies and gastrointestinal conditions.[6]
    MSM is sold as a dietary supplement and marketed with a variety of claims, often in combination with glucosamine and/or chondroitin for helping to treat or prevent osteoarthritis. According to one review, "The benefits claimed [for MSM] far exceed the number of scientific studies. It is hard to build a strong case for its use other than for treating arthritis problems."[7]
    Moreover, in cases involving topical therapeutics, the role of MSM as an active agent, per se, versus its having a role in promoting skin permeation (in manner, akin to its solvent relative DMSO) must be characterized/controlled.[8] The biochemical effects of supplemental methylsulfonylmethane are poorly understood. Some researchers have suggested that MSM hasanti-inflammatory effects.[9] The spectrum of biological effects of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and MSM differ, but those of DMSO may be mediated, at least in part, by MSM.[10]
    Herschler's patent documents, and much of the alternative medical literature supporting MSM use, claim that "the average diet is deficient in methylsulfonylmethane because it is readily lost during conventional food processing, such as frying, dehydrating, dilution with synthetic fillers and other poorly nutritional additives, cooking, radiation or pasteurizing, and long-term storage". According to Quackwatch, "this statement is absurd, because the amount of sulfur in protein foods is not affected by processing. Since Americans tend to consume more protein than they need, "sulfur deficiency" is very unlikely and would not occur without obvious evidence of severe malnutrition. If it could occur, the remedy would be to eat adequate protein, not to supplement with MSM".[5]
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo .... thanks!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •