2 year old bully suddenly limping

Infinite1

May 4, 2012
Houston, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Hello all,

My 2yr old bully Spike has suddenly started limping. Yesterday he was his normal self: sleeping, laying around, chewing on his toy, etc. I left the house to run an errand with my wife and upon our return he seemed to have difficulty sitting up. When we took him out of his crate he would not put any weight on his front left leg. Naturally, I'm quite worried. Has anyone else experienced this? I did take a look at the leg and paws and didn't see anything abnormal. No bites, split nails or anything stuck in his paw. I've even checked the mobility in his elbow joint and shoulder to see if he would react but there seems to be nothing.

If anyone has any tips on how I can remedy his pain it would greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Ryan

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'm hoping it's only a muscle cramp from sleeping on it wrong. So this happened yesterday? If so, did you see any improvement today? Naturally, keep him on bed rest and don't get him too excited and avoid jumping on the couch or too many stairs.

OP
Infinite1

Infinite1

May 4, 2012
Houston, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, Spike is still limping when he does walk to it seems like he's pointing his leg a different direction I'm assuming since he trying to not put any pressure on it. I've been keeping him on his bed pad lying down and not walking much. At times I'll give him a boost to get on the bed since it's more comfortable.

Would ice or heat compress work? It doesn't seem to look swollen

Harleyleeotis12321

Jul 26, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley Lee Otis Davidson Eckert
Aww poor baby..I recently had a prob with Harley, It could have been a few things, I know he strained it and it was super cold out,,he went from limping to stiffness and walking slowly it took about 2 weeks and no vet trip. We kept as best we could from jumping etc. During this time i started giving him Cosequin DS plus MSM....He is gliding and moving beautifully BTW he is 2...My friend buys Cosequin at Cosco but its only an online deal, 2 bottles 180 ct. for $74 ! At the vet 1 bottle is $140.00 ...Keep an I on him and it may be that he does need a vet. every dog is different. Hope he feels better soon.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
My Boeboe once got at muscle injury when suddenly rushing towards another dog pulling the leash... she limped quite bad from it. We took her to the vet and she got some kind of shot (can't remember what it was:ashamed:) and pain medicine. I don't know if it might be a pulled muscle maybe? Hope Spike feels better:heart: he sure looks cute:)

OP
Infinite1

Infinite1

May 4, 2012
Houston, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Thanks everyone...I'm hoping it is just a muscle pull. I just find it odd that he was perfectly normal then just limping...I'll figure out how to post a video on here so everyone can see.

OP
Infinite1

Infinite1

May 4, 2012
Houston, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Thank you for this I will look into this for spike. By the way, What is MSM?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He may have slept on it wrong or pulled it earlier in the day and it is just now getting sore. I would see how he is tomorrow and if it is getting better, then I would not worry about it. They will do this sometimes, especially when they are still young.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas has done this, he jumped off our very high bed and pulled a back leg muscle. I took him to the vet and he got a shot of steroids and I had to not allow him to jump. I put clothes baskets on all the couches while I was at work. Just takes time to heal, you might want to get a steroid shot if he's not better by tomorrow.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for this I will look into this for spike. By the way, What is MSM?

Aww poor baby..I recently had a prob with Harley, It could have been a few things, I know he strained it and it was super cold out,,he went from limping to stiffness and walking slowly it took about 2 weeks and no vet trip. We kept as best we could from jumping etc. During this time i started giving him Cosequin DS plus MSM....He is gliding and moving beautifully BTW he is 2...My friend buys Cosequin at Cosco but its only an online deal, 2 bottles 180 ct. for $74 ! At the vet 1 bottle is $140.00 ...Keep an I on him and it may be that he does need a vet. every dog is different. Hope he feels better soon.

the gang has you covered... please keep us posted! And, I am interested in the MSM as well... what is it?

Harleyleeotis12321

Jul 26, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley Lee Otis Davidson Eckert
the gang has you covered... please keep us posted! And, I am interested in the MSM as well... what is it?
[MENTION=4831]Infinite1[/MENTION]

Methylsulfonylmethane. BELOW taken from Wikipedia:

Although no medical uses for MSM have been approved by any government, a variety of health benefits have been claimed and studied. Stanley W. Jacob reported having administered MSM to over 18,000 patients with a variety of ailments;[SUP][3][/SUP] he co-authored a book promoting MSM with a variety of claims, including a utility as a natural source of "biologically activesulfur,"[SUP][4][/SUP] suggesting that people are deficient in such forms of sulfur in their dietary intake. There is no Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) or Daily Value established for sulfur and sufficient dietary sources are readily available in onions, garlic and cruciferous vegetables and in protein-containing foods, including nuts, seeds, milk and eggs (whites and yolks).[SUP][5][/SUP]
The claims for the need for sulfur supplementation originate with Robert Herschler, a biochemist who patented "Dietary and pharmaceutical uses of methylsulfonylmethane and compositions comprising it" in 1982; he claimed that MSM was useful in stress, mucous-membrane inflammation, allergies and gastrointestinal conditions.[SUP][6][/SUP]
MSM is sold as a dietary supplement and marketed with a variety of claims, often in combination with glucosamine and/or chondroitin for helping to treat or prevent osteoarthritis. According to one review, "The benefits claimed [for MSM] far exceed the number of scientific studies. It is hard to build a strong case for its use other than for treating arthritis problems."[SUP][7][/SUP]
Moreover, in cases involving topical therapeutics, the role of MSM as an active agent, per se, versus its having a role in promoting skin permeation (in manner, akin to its solvent relative DMSO) must be characterized/controlled.[SUP][8][/SUP] The biochemical effects of supplemental methylsulfonylmethane are poorly understood. Some researchers have suggested that MSM hasanti-inflammatory effects.[SUP][9][/SUP] The spectrum of biological effects of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and MSM differ, but those of DMSO may be mediated, at least in part, by MSM.[SUP][10][/SUP]
Herschler's patent documents, and much of the alternative medical literature supporting MSM use, claim that "the average diet is deficient in methylsulfonylmethane because it is readily lost during conventional food processing, such as frying, dehydrating, dilution with synthetic fillers and other poorly nutritional additives, cooking, radiation or pasteurizing, and long-term storage". According to Quackwatch, "this statement is absurd, because the amount of sulfur in protein foods is not affected by processing. Since Americans tend to consume more protein than they need, "sulfur deficiency" is very unlikely and would not occur without obvious evidence of severe malnutrition. If it could occur, the remedy would be to eat adequate protein, not to supplement with MSM".[SUP][5][/SUP]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Infinite1

Methylsulfonylmethane. BELOW taken from Wikipedia:

Although no medical uses for MSM have been approved by any government, a variety of health benefits have been claimed and studied. Stanley W. Jacob reported having administered MSM to over 18,000 patients with a variety of ailments;[SUP][3][/SUP] he co-authored a book promoting MSM with a variety of claims, including a utility as a natural source of "biologically activesulfur,"[SUP][4][/SUP] suggesting that people are deficient in such forms of sulfur in their dietary intake. There is no Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) or Daily Value established for sulfur and sufficient dietary sources are readily available in onions, garlic and cruciferous vegetables and in protein-containing foods, including nuts, seeds, milk and eggs (whites and yolks).[SUP][5][/SUP]
The claims for the need for sulfur supplementation originate with Robert Herschler, a biochemist who patented "Dietary and pharmaceutical uses of methylsulfonylmethane and compositions comprising it" in 1982; he claimed that MSM was useful in stress, mucous-membrane inflammation, allergies and gastrointestinal conditions.[SUP][6][/SUP]
MSM is sold as a dietary supplement and marketed with a variety of claims, often in combination with glucosamine and/or chondroitin for helping to treat or prevent osteoarthritis. According to one review, "The benefits claimed [for MSM] far exceed the number of scientific studies. It is hard to build a strong case for its use other than for treating arthritis problems."[SUP][7][/SUP]
Moreover, in cases involving topical therapeutics, the role of MSM as an active agent, per se, versus its having a role in promoting skin permeation (in manner, akin to its solvent relative DMSO) must be characterized/controlled.[SUP][8][/SUP] The biochemical effects of supplemental methylsulfonylmethane are poorly understood. Some researchers have suggested that MSM hasanti-inflammatory effects.[SUP][9][/SUP] The spectrum of biological effects of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and MSM differ, but those of DMSO may be mediated, at least in part, by MSM.[SUP][10][/SUP]
Herschler's patent documents, and much of the alternative medical literature supporting MSM use, claim that "the average diet is deficient in methylsulfonylmethane because it is readily lost during conventional food processing, such as frying, dehydrating, dilution with synthetic fillers and other poorly nutritional additives, cooking, radiation or pasteurizing, and long-term storage". According to Quackwatch, "this statement is absurd, because the amount of sulfur in protein foods is not affected by processing. Since Americans tend to consume more protein than they need, "sulfur deficiency" is very unlikely and would not occur without obvious evidence of severe malnutrition. If it could occur, the remedy would be to eat adequate protein, not to supplement with MSM".[SUP][5][/SUP]

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo .... thanks!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.