Update on Boeboe's HD operation, (Femur head and neck excision arthroplasty).

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
We left home today at 6:30am and we arrived at the vet around 8:00am. I was a nervous wreak until Dr Dave phoned at 1:00pm to tell us that the operation went well and that Boeboe was awake. We got an appointment with him for 5:00pm do discuss details. He says her HD was not bad but he thinks it was the right thing to do the operation now before it got worse, if it was going to be done at all. The right hip looked much better on the x-rays and he would not recommend surgery on that hip which is a huge relief. All was still well with Boeboe when we left the vet at 5:30pm and they said they'll stay till Boeboe has recovered completely from the anesthesia, and during the night they have staff there looking after the animals. We didn't go to see her cos they didn't think it was in Boeboe's best interest, she would just be stressed when we leave her again:( I know they're right but I would have loved to hug her:heart:

I got a two page list of specified things they use during the operation and the anesthetics is called Halothane and it took 40 minutes to preform the surgery. The total so far is R5800 which is about 550 dollar. I bet the vet prices are lots lower here...

They're keeping her for 2 or 3 nights depending on how she's doing. Right now I just want my Boeboe home with me:moping: It's the first time she's away over night and Bennie is looking very sad and keeps searching for her. I wish I could explain to him what's going on.

Thanks to everyone for the support I've gotten:drawheart: I probably needed it more than Boeboe:ashamed:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I am so glad BoeBoe is okay, and that he came through the surgery and it was a success. I'm glad that his other hip is good and he won't require another surgery. That must be a relief for you. You're right, the surgery costs much less where you are, here in Canada, and in the states, the surgery would have cost at least a couple of thousand dollars. Vet fees are very expensive here, but we would all pay anything for our babies to be okay. I offset my vet bills with pet insurance, it helps with the cost of vet care. You must miss her, but she's in a good place, and will be home before you know it. I hope she has a quick and easy recovery and heals well. Sending hugs, love and prayers to you and BoeBoe. Keep us posted on how she's doing.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Healing thought coming your way!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm happy to hear that Boeboe did so well with the surgery, Petra! I know it's hard for you to not have her home yet but it's great that she's at the hospital where people can monitor her. Before you know it, Boeboe will be back home with you. Hang in there, my friend!

GunnyHighway

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King
Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway
Hang in there. She is in good hands and will be back with you soon.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you for updating us, Petra...great news! Boeboe will be home
before you know it and all will return to normal.

Cami & I send big hugs to Bennie...and you! GOD bless all.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Petra - im so glad operation went well ,now im keeping my fingers crossed for a full recovery xx

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm so happy she is doing well, and hoping for a quick recovery.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
So happy to her BoeBoe op went well and praying for a quick recovery and she is back home with you real soon

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Best get well soon wishes for Boeboe-AND you!!

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Thank you all:drawheart: Talked to the vet assistant this morning and Boeboe is doing great, she's been up walking outside a little and she's wagging her tail at people even:) She's on pain management and will be for a while still but they say she's back to her old self already. I miss her so much:heart: Bennie has a bit of depression cos he misses Boeboe, he felt a little better this morning since he slept next to me in the night, usually they sleep in their room. And I think he'll get over it today as my husbands brother is coming to visit, he loves him:) If all continues to go well we'll have Boeboe home tomorrow night or Monday:w00t:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So happy the surgery went so well, it's great that she will stay there to be monitored too. I'm glad you will have a visitor today for Bennie, no doubt he misses his girl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Glad everything went good. I hope she is home with you soon.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.