Another hernia!

jacquik

Feb 1, 2013
Country
Cape Cod MA
Bulldog(s) Names
harley and caesar
Does anyone have a dog that has had more than 1 hernia? My Harley was born with a hernia and we had it fixed when he was about 6 months old...he just turned 1 last month. Over the weekend I noticed it was kind of bulging again in that area so we brought him to the vet. She's not sure if it's the same one that maybe came undone after she stitched it because he is very active or if it's another one.
He is scheduled to have it fixed in a couple weeks and she is going to neuter him at the same time. She said he needs to be crated and let out only on a leash for a week so the stitches hold....she is going to be very aggressive this time as it cannot be fixed again after this?!!
Actually we weren't going to neuter either dog until they were 18 months but she doesn't want him to have to go under again. And she strongly recommends neutering our 11 month old at the same time since he is already the dominate one to Harley.....:(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm sorry to hear this, I've never had a hernia in my bullies but wanted to give you a hug and support. :hug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Oh no im do sorry to read this -never expirienced hernia in dogs but i hope there is someone who will be able to advise you xx

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have had 3 dogs with hernias. Two of them closed on their own(naval-taped a quarter on it) and one SHih-tsu had surgery. She had to be done again, because the vet-not the one I have now-(possibly a helper/student) forgot to stitch on the inside! If it is THE SAME hernia, perhaps they did not put ENOUGH stitches on the inside, the first time. About the neutering-I would agree with the vet's opinion on that. Especially if Cesar is already being dominant. And better to neuter while Harley is already under anesthesia.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sorry, I pray that everything can work out for Harley and you.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Tubby had his hernia done twice. They stitched it up at 4 months when he had cherry eye surgery but of course it reopened because well he was 4 months old and a ball of energy! We had it redone when he got neutered at 10 months and that one held. They recommended confining him to the crate as well but I thought that was just plain out mean and I didn't want him going crazy in there. I took away all toys and shortened his walks and this times it seems to be holding. Good luck on the surgeries!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.