elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Hi all -

So many things going on with Herman - sigh.

Just recently he somehow hurt his wrist and now is on limited activity for maybe 3 more weeks, but that doesnt matter because he's now refusing to leave the yard (he hasnt done this since last year) AND he's acting paranoid of street signs and cars and everything now. Of course the weather has been confusing - one day the yard is filled with "white stuff" (snow) and the next day there's dry grass - then later more white stuff LOL. Anyway, they had him on Rimadyl and something that started with a T (I cant recall right now) for pain for 2 weeks.

But it seems after the meds stopped, he's been getting eye boogers in both eyes, ALL DAY EVERY DAY. I can see them welling up in his lower lids, and I just wait a few minutes for them to fully surface to wipe them out.

THEN I noticed in the corner of his eye (luckily not on the eye itself, but in the wrinkle) there seems to be a pimple that has grown overnight. I think this is (hopefully) irritation from all the booger wiping, but I'm not sure - its getting bigger and noticeable. Throughout the summer his wrinkles did get irritated and he had antibiotics. One doc gave him Cephalexin and a wrinkle wash which I was not successful at doing; the other doc gave him Clavamox and Temaril P - both worked well. The 2nd round was redness in his little feet as well as his eyes. I've been suffering alot with allergies myself and as I'm typing this one of my eyes is just constantly running LOL so he and I will both have to figure out ways to deal with them.

Anyway - do you think the eye booger thing is just another manifestation of the allergies since its in both eyes? Or do you think its something else. I dont want him to keep getting antibiotics :( And I dont want him on that Temaril P if possible (although it works very well).

I would post a pic if he would let me take it. He wont even let me look at that particular eye. Instead he sticks his butt in my face to get a booty wipe LOL

Any advice before I run off panicking to the vet tomorrow as usual?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm not sure without seeing it, if it's an infection or if it's allergy related. There are a couple of things you could check before bringing him to the vet that could rule out things, one is you could give him a Benadryl and see if he gets any relief from his symptoms, another thing you could do is kind of analyze the eye boogers. Look at the colour, if it's green it's more than likely an infection, as opposed to if its a more clear or yellow discharge, which would be more allergy related, you can also smell the eye discharge ( I know this sounds gross, sorry ), but if it has an odor to it, it's probably an infection. There are two types of over the counter Polysporin eye drops that you can buy at the drugstore, one is for allergy eyes, and one is formulated for infections, it's an over the counter eye drops with antibiotics in it, which can also be used for pink eye. If the eye discharge is green, or smells, treat it as infection with the antibiotic drops, and if the discharge is more clear and runny, treat it as an allergy and try the Polysporin for allergy eyes. Whichever drops you use, take him to the vets if you don't see an improvement, or get results in a couple of days. This will give you something to try over the weekend, and if by Monday his eyes don't look better, or if he still has is charge, take him to the vets to have him checked out. I hope this helps, and I hope Herman feels better soon. Please keep us posted on no he's doing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hiya: good to see you agian! Sorry life is so buay and Herman is having some problems... the OCD stuff seems to be kicking in for him, how old is he now 2?

Monica has you so covered on the eye problem.... I hope it all clears up and is just his allergies causing some havoc

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
@2bulllymama he will be 2 on Feb 28th!! What a big boy. LOL Oh gosh, OCD? The few obsessive things he had before was bad enough, you mean there will be more?
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] So he wont let me look him in the face this morning (keeps sticking his butt up for me to spank it - sigh). But I went outside and the boogers just look to be the standard greyish/whitish ones. They are not clear, but they are not shockingly different from whatever he used to have. His eyes are red, but they are always red - the only time they were white was when he was on allergy pills. And my eyes like I said are bothering me - so it must be allergies.

I'll look for the Allery eye drops - but how will I get that in his eyes??? Any tips will be appreciated. I tried to clean his ears once and ended up with ear cleaner in my own face and eyes

Oh is the brand Polysporin???? Or will any brand (like Visine) do? I might actually have some Visine Allergy drops.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2bulllymama he will be 2 on Feb 28th!! What a big boy. LOL Oh gosh, OCD? The few obsessive things he had before was bad enough, you mean there will be more?
@Vikinggirl So he wont let me look him in the face this morning (keeps sticking his butt up for me to spank it - sigh). But I went outside and the boogers just look to be the standard greyish/whitish ones. They are not clear, but they are not shockingly different from whatever he used to have. His eyes are red, but they are always red - the only time they were white was when he was on allergy pills. And my eyes like I said are bothering me - so it must be allergies.

I'll look for the Allery eye drops - but how will I get that in his eyes??? Any tips will be appreciated. I tried to clean his ears once and ended up with ear cleaner in my own face and eyes

Oh is the brand Polysporin???? Or will any brand (like Visine) do? I might actually have some Visine Allergy drops.

yep... round two of the OCD kicking in. Banks when she hit about 3 started all kinds of stuff that never bothered her before and now at 8 yrs old, she is changing up on them again. Things that didn't now do and things that did now don't.... :blink:

Visine will work.... GOOD LUCK with that

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
yep... round two of the OCD kicking in. Banks when she hit about 3 started all kinds of stuff that never bothered her before and now at 8 yrs old, she is changing up on them again. Things that didn't now do and things that did now don't.... :blink:

Visine will work.... GOOD LUCK with that

That explains a lot because the *new* thing for the past few months is that he sits next to me, stares at me for about 20 seconds, then claws me with one paw slowly down my arm/shoulder, then goes back to staring. If I ignore him, the cycle just continues (stare..claw...stare...claw).

I'll try the Visine!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great advice above, I would certainly try the benedryl, we've had more eye boogers lately but I think it's the cold weather, they seem to love to be more lazy in the winter time. I use Bausch and Lomb eye wash and sustaine eye drops, seems to work really well.

Nice too see you again too!

Herman pics are a must you know :yes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, it does sound like the symptoms are allergy related, the fact that his eyes are red, and the discharge isn't green. I would still try a Benadryl, to see if that gives him some relief. You can use any over the counter allergy eye drops, any over the counter products that are safe for us humans, are also safe for dogs. Polysporin or Visine eye drops are fine.
When Blossom had her cherry eye surgery, I had to put antibiotic eye drops in her eyes, and she didn't like it either. I would sit on the floor and sit her in between my legs, with her body facing outward. I would place her head on my chest and put the drops in her eyes.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.