Truman Health Update

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Since Truman's health (well, lack thereof) brought me to this site, I feel compelled to updated everyone on how he's doing after his vet visits.

The good: His hips feel good! The vet manipulated his hips and said they feel like they're moving smoothly, they are firmly in socket, and have excellent range of motion. He also said the hips both have good muscle tone and strength. He has not had the follow up x ray yet but, considering four months ago I had vets telling me to euthanize him now because his hips were so bad, I am very pleased!

He weights 41 pounds by the vet's scale and is in very good condition - he said he's muscular and in great shape. Yay!

The bad: He has mange...I figured, which was the reason for his appointment but I was hoping for the best.

The ugly: Why, oh why did I let my husband take the dog to the vet by himself? I know better than this! Even though he was texting me for advice throughout the appointment, he still walked away with some shampoo we don't need, ear drops we already have, and a fungal test that cost a whopping $115 that is completely unnecessary! NEVER AGAIN!

Anyway, I mostly wanted to share my good news regarding Truman's hips. If anyone has ever used Ivermectin to treat mange, I am asking for advice here.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
I am so happy to hear the news on baby Truman's hips. Cadi 's has had mange twice ( vet said she is a very nervous dog) but sorry I can't remember the name of the pills she got.... and she got shampoo, Cadi hates baths so he said to wet her back and put the shampoo on let it sit and rinse it off...I never even put her in the tub.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
That is SUCH good news about Truman's hips .... none of my dogs have ever had mange (touching wood as I type this) so can't help you on that one!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my goodness I am so happy to hear about Truman!!! His story is such a great one and we all fell in love with him right away. Are you planning on getting the xrays still or is that what you decided to do, cant remember. I am excited to hear what they look like after hearing this great news!

As far as the mange, havent dealt with it thankfully but I do know what it is like to let your hubby take the dogs to the vets alone. I prefer mine to do so since I have a hard time with nail trimmings but he is the same and whatever the vet says we need to do or whatnot he does. Has no clue what they need tho. lol. In fact last time he took them and Cutty got his rabies I looked at the paperwork and he listed his color as brown and white. lmao. I said dont you know what color he is?!?! (hubby is color blind but still) Red and white! I said you just looked down and went with what you saw didnt you? He laughed. MEN!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
So happy to hear about Truman's hips!!!! As Jenn said, I too have been here since you first expressed concerns with his hips and I am so happy to hear things turned out so well!!! Sorry about the mange :( And I can relate with the husband thing! Listen to your gut next time Jill, don't let him go alone!

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
aww poor baby. at least he has great bully parents :) Love over to Truman and hope he gets better soon.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Dang,,, 'baby' Truman is turning into a big boy. Great news!!!... well, cept the hubby purchases thing... lol At least he was looking out for Truman's best interest :up:

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
that is great news... As far as the mange, I only delt with that working at the vet and he was a quack. We would keep the dog for a few days, bathe it and give meds then let it go home. I know we used a special shampoo and its been so long I cant think of the name.. Glad your on top of it.. Hubbys gotta love them lol...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.