Treatment for Mange

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Well, Truman has mange - it's official. A skin scrape revealed mites so he's being treated with a daily dose of Invermectin for the next (eek!) 45 days. Now when Linus had mange, he received a series of dips so this is new to me. Unfortunately, I was not able to go to the vet with my husband so I am hoping someone here knows something about Invermectin and how effective it is in treating mange. 45 days just seem to be a long time to be on something...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I got some Ivermectin online for Yuna when she had that bump on her head, and remember when she blew her coat? The vet did all sorts of tests (and never got any results of what her problem actually was). I got the ivermectin and gave her one does of it- if it was anything mite/flea/whatever related. It seemed to help. I would suggest getting it online to save a ton of $$$ though. Don't get it from your vet.

I of course discussed giving this to her with my mobile vet (who was not the one I took her to for the tests) and he agreed 1 dose would probably clear whatever it was.

With that being said.....No I have never had mange here so I don't know how long ect. so I cannot help with that one. But I am sure others can!

Ann Farley Hamilton

Jul 21, 2010
Brookline, NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Hamilton's Irish Mack we call him Mack and Blossom
From what I here this the new for Mange but I have also heard you need to be careful because some heart worm meds don't mix well with this. If you go on FB and search for Dexter Cisneros An English Bulldog rescued from neglect that's his FB page he had the worst case of mange I have ever seen. I know his dad posted something about that medicine and his heart worm meds. So I am sure if you ask he'll be glad to fill you in, he loves to talk about Dexter and how well he's doing now.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
From what I here this the new for Mange but I have also heard you need to be careful because some heart worm meds don't mix well with this. If you go on FB and search for Dexter Cisneros An English Bulldog rescued from neglect that's his FB page he had the worst case of mange I have ever seen. I know his dad posted something about that medicine and his heart worm meds. So I am sure if you ask he'll be glad to fill you in, he loves to talk about Dexter and how well he's doing now.

Thanks.

Invermectin is actually what is given as heartworm medication so it is safe but the dose for mange is 6 to 8 times higher so it can carry more risk - coupled with the heartworm medication, I can see where that's an issue. Luckily, Truman is not on heartworm medication.

Basically, I've been instructed to give Truman a very small dose every day, with slight increases, for the next 45 days. It seemed like a long time to me but when Linus had mange, it took a series of six baths, two weeks apart so I know it's a process.

I got the Invermectin from the vet already in liquid form. It was $84 for the 45 day cycle, which didn't seem so bad.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
yep...same as Vegas. Ivermectin in liquid form for 45 days. Then another skin scrape to determin if the mites were gone. Also, a cream to place on the spot (we only had a few areas that needed treatment) for I don't know what reason. After 45 days, Vegas was given a mite free bill of health.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
yep...same as Vegas. Ivermectin in liquid form for 45 days. Then another skin scrape to determin if the mites were gone. Also, a cream to place on the spot (we only had a few areas that needed treatment) for I don't know what reason. After 45 days, Vegas was given a mite free bill of health.

Thanks [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] - I was hoping someone had experience with this treatment - with good results!

I didn't receive a cream or ointment but Truman, like Vegas, only has a couple spots so I'm hoping this clears it up.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I put it on a portion of bread and then topped it with a portion of sliced cheese. He thought he was getting a yummy cheese sandwich.

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I have used Ivomec Ivermectin ( 1% ) with great results. The way I gave it to him was as a shot. I used an insulin needle ( very small ).
I gave him 1/10 cc for every 10 pounds. Once a week for 3 weeks. It cleared up really nicely.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
The vet gave us Interceptor for Stiggy's mange. Cost a pretty penny too, about $11 per pill for 48 days. :eek: From what I've researched, they said a pill form is safer for bullies than the dips. Stiggy's mange-free now, didn't even finished the whole 48, maybe used 35 days worth.

NICASFINEST

Dec 9, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
BUGZY
Hi i have a question today i took my bulldog in to the vet because he had a pink rash spreading on his face it turned out to be dermodex...he too was given ivermectin 1% orally, but i was reading online that you cant mix this with comfortis does anyone know if you can? the vets are closed and i wanted to start him on his meds but am not sure if ill be harming him if i do!? the dr didnt ask me what kind of flea treatment his on so should i assume its okay? any help will be great thanx!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.