Lame left rear leg

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Today at lunch my wife came home to let the dogs out of crates to potty. Ace followed her into the kitchen [my wife didn't notice any problem] then he went back into the bedroom when he came out of the bedroom he would not put any weight on his left rear leg. When I got home it was the same. He won't put any weight on the leg and carries it off the ground. If he gets excited he may put it on the ground and limp for a couple of steps and then he carries it off the ground. He has been doing this since I got home. He has trouble navigating the step in and out the back door. I fed him and he ate well but is still carrying the left leg. I gave a baby aspirin with his food. My thoughts are to watch him for a day and see if he improves. Your thoughts of what it could be. I'm thinking it may be just a pulled or strained muscle but of course it could be more. I have checked his paw and manipulated his leg, he acts as if its a bit tender but doesn't resist the manipulation very much if any. Nothing unusual happened before my wife noticed his limping and he wasn't limping yesterday or this morning before I went to work.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm with you, I would watch him and see if it improves. This happens to Buster every once in a while and after a good nights sleep he's back to normal. This exact same thing has happened to 2 people I know and it turned out fine. One of them took his bully to the vet the same day he noticed it and they gave him pain meds and did xrays and told him the bully had mild inflammation around the knee joint. It eventually went away a couple of days latter.

GunnyHighway

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King
Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway
I wish I had some great knowledge to share but I don't. I hope everything turns out good for you guys.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
It happened to Brutus and I was advised to crate him except for potty breaks
4~5 days, if not better than bring him in. It was difficult to crate him that long
but it worked. Hoping it'll work for Ace, will keep y'all in prayer, let us know!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with you and Carol... keep him crated/calm for a few days with the baby asprin. If no change, take him for an exam.... could be just a muscle pull, but possible ACL issue too

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Well, there is basically no change today. Ace is still carrying his rear leg. I am going to give it a couple more days and if no improvement will take Ace to the Vet Monday. Thanks for the reply's, suggestions and concern. It's so pathetic to see him like this he is usually so rambunctious and full of energy. Surely puts a wet blanket on the holiday for me

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so sorry to hear that, I hope he starts to feel better. Poor Ace.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Checking in on Ace...sorry to hear your report, Tim.

It took 2-3 days of complete crate confinement before Brutus showed
improvement, I was going to take him in and all of a sudden he was better.
It is hard and yes, so difficult to see them this way but again, if not better
by Sunday than take him to Vet Monday and keep us informed!

Praying and will continue to that it's a sprain and will improve over wk-end.

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I will keep you guys informed. I hate that he is injured and hope that it improves with rest and aspirin, but like my wife said at least we have a few days off during the holidays and we can tend to him, better than having to go to work everyday and wondering how he is doing. So a bit of a silver lining I suppose

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ace is basically unchanged with the lameness. I have an appointment with the Vet on Tuesday morning.
I have practically made my self sick with worry and don't even have a diagnosis yet.

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ok I took Ace in to see the Vet this afternoon. Ace definitely has a torn kneecap. The Vet could not rule out acl tear. He said that there wasn't much movement but Ace's thigh is so thick and sometimes they tense up so the Vet said he would need to sedate to make a more thorough exam. I was ready to go ahead but he said he might also need to do an x-ray at the same time and would prefer to do that while the dog was sedated as well and his machine is down until tomorrow. He put Ace on carprofen 75 mg twice a day and has rescheduled for next week unless we need to go in before then. He will sedate then and do a more thorough exam. He said that Ace could heal from a torn kneecap on his own without surgery if he recovers properly and doesn't have recurrent problems with it. He said that when the kneecap tears then it compromises the ligaments in the knee so he wants to do a more thorough exam after Ace has been on the medication a few days.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow, Tim...was trying to find the thread and ask and your post popped up!

I'm sorry to hear that he tear that knee cap but encouraged he may recover
w/out surgery. Keeping every paw crossed and praying hard for Ace~GOD bless

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
oh man, I'm sorry. I hope he can heal up and not have to go through that, I'm REALLY happy you took him in.

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Yes me too Carol. As I stated he hasn't ruled further damage out yet but there wasn't much movement in the joint. The knee cap though was obvious he could move it around and compared it with Ace's right rear leg as well to make sure it wasn't just a peculiarity with Ace. The other kneecap was normal.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok I took Ace in to see the Vet this afternoon. Ace definitely has a torn kneecap. The Vet could not rule out acl tear. He said that there wasn't much movement but Ace's thigh is so thick and sometimes they tense up so the Vet said he would need to sedate to make a more thorough exam. I was ready to go ahead but he said he might also need to do an x-ray at the same time and would prefer to do that while the dog was sedated as well and his machine is down until tomorrow. He put Ace on carprofen 75 mg twice a day and has rescheduled for next week unless we need to go in before then. He will sedate then and do a more thorough exam. He said that Ace could heal from a torn kneecap on his own without surgery if he recovers properly and doesn't have recurrent problems with it. He said that when the kneecap tears then it compromises the ligaments in the knee so he wants to do a more thorough exam after Ace has been on the medication a few days.

Damn, min, I was hoping that would not be the case. Good luck with him , so hope the meds work and he will not need surgery.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.