Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I took Ace in to our original Vet Monday morning for follow up examination for possible torn ACL under sedation and x-rays.
The diagnosis was good from what we originally feared. Most likely a minor cruciate tear.
X-rays revealed normal hips, no fractures or luxations of knee.
Ace got his second of a series of laser treatments and it does appear to be helping.
Treatment is to continue the metacam once daily for now and the laser therapy and to limit his sprinting and turning sharp corners and jumping as much as possible.
Thanks for all the reply's, concerns and well wishes.
This is a great forum, with loads of knowledgeable and loving folks.
Once again thanks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I took Ace in to our original Vet Monday morning for follow up examination for possible torn ACL under sedation and x-rays.
The diagnosis was good from what we originally feared. Most likely a minor cruciate tear.
X-rays revealed normal hips, no fractures or luxations of knee.
Ace got his second of a series of laser treatments and it does appear to be helping.
Treatment is to continue the metacam once daily for now and the laser therapy and to limit his sprinting and turning sharp corners and jumping as much as possible.
Thanks for all the reply's, concerns and well wishes.
This is a great forum, with loads of knowledgeable and loving folks.
Once again thanks.

:whew: much better news! We do laser treatments for Banks back issues, totally makes a difference and we notice if we miss or are late with one of her sessions.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=7587]Rural mystic[/MENTION]...Tim, came here to check on y'all so glad to see your updates.
Especially glad that it doesn't seem as bad as you thought and I think, going
back to your original Vet was best thing too. That laser treatment will help
tons! Continuing to pray for Ace, a complete & full recovery and no problems
later...I know after all these weeks of misery & worry, you are feeling hopeful
and I hope much sadness has lifted off your shoulders. Amazing how much we
love our dogs (and cats, birds, lizards, etc)...and how much they give to us :)

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
[MENTION=7587]Rural mystic[/MENTION]...Tim, came here to check on y'all so glad to see your updates.
Especially glad that it doesn't seem as bad as you thought and I think, going
back to your original Vet was best thing too. That laser treatment will help
tons! Continuing to pray for Ace, a complete & full recovery and no problems
later...I know after all these weeks of misery & worry, you are feeling hopeful
and I hope much sadness has lifted off your shoulders. Amazing how much we
love our dogs (and cats, birds, lizards, etc)...and how much they give to us :)
Thanks, I agree whole heartedly

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Good news for Ace regarding his rear legs -no damage ,hd etc i hope he will be better soon

Ps i would do change a practice ,few years back i had an argument with one of the ladies in reception the way she speaks to patients -the is no need for this behaviour and niceness and compassion doesn't cost nothing

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Duchess ss has been limpimg and I suspect similar issue as what you had. What does laser treatment cost?

I'm sorry I don't recall right off hand. I will see if I can find the statement and then I will message you. It wasn't prohibitive though. In fact I was thinking of resuming for Ace as well

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
How did it work? Duchess wouldn't put weight on her left leg a few weeks ago after a play session with duke- after a week or so she was fine. Now again after another play session she won't put weight on her right leg. So a vet visit is in order. Poor dog is hobbling around. So bullys and hardwood floors they just don't go well.

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
After locating the statement the laser therapy was 83.00 for three treatments. It was originally scheduled for 6 treatments but he seemed to be doing so much better that the tech said bring him back in if he needed it. Within a few days he was again favoring it but still doing better and so there were good days and bad days. But over all it has progressively gotten better. If by doing the drawer test under sedation and it is not diagnosed as torn ACL and there are no fractures then laser therapy or just time for recuperation I would think is the answer. Even a small partial tear could have the dog bummed up a while but although the tendon wont grow back if its severed, if its torn scar tissue develops around it and helps stabilize the joint. Ace seems quite a bit better but I don't play as hard with him as I did in the past although he wants to I can tell. But until it appears basically back to normal I go easy, so let the dog walk some and keep limber and blood flow in the muscle but limit running or jumping.
So yes I do think there is benefit in the laser therapy, if the injury is in the joint or in the muscle tissue it is designed to help either so it may well benefit. One observation I have on the laser treatment is concerning that they apply the treatment to the correct location of injury. I would think it would be better to cover a larger area than a small localized one, unless they are certain precisely where the injury is, because they could treat the joint and it may be in the muscle along side the knee or elsewhere in the leg or hip of the dog, in other words they should determine where the pain is and what is causing the limping.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How did it work? Duchess wouldn't put weight on her left leg a few weeks ago after a play session with duke- after a week or so she was fine. Now again after another play session she won't put weight on her right leg. So a vet visit is in order. Poor dog is hobbling around. So bullys and hardwood floors they just don't go well.

After locating the statement the laser therapy was 83.00 for three treatments. It was originally scheduled for 6 treatments but he seemed to be doing so much better that the tech said bring him back in if he needed it. Within a few days he was again favoring it but still doing better and so there were good days and bad days. But over all it has progressively gotten better. If by doing the drawer test under sedation and it is not diagnosed as torn ACL and there are no fractures then laser therapy or just time for recuperation I would think is the answer. Even a small partial tear could have the dog bummed up a while but although the tendon wont grow back if its severed, if its torn scar tissue develops around it and helps stabilize the joint. Ace seems quite a bit better but I don't play as hard with him as I did in the past although he wants to I can tell. But until it appears basically back to normal I go easy, so let the dog walk some and keep limber and blood flow in the muscle but limit running or jumping.
So yes I do think there is benefit in the laser therapy, if the injury is in the joint or in the muscle tissue it is designed to help either so it may well benefit. One observation I have on the laser treatment is concerning that they apply the treatment to the correct location of injury. I would think it would be better to cover a larger area than a small localized one, unless they are certain precisely where the injury is, because they could treat the joint and it may be in the muscle along side the knee or elsewhere in the leg or hip of the dog, in other words they should determine where the pain is and what is causing the limping.

Laser is definitely worth looking into... we have been taking Banks for monthly sessions for about two years for her back and hips. We totally see a difference in her from before the treatments and we see it when it is time for her monthly session; she is slower in movement and will only go on the stairs if she has to... the day after the session and the rest of the month, she is running, playing, jumping and goes up the steps two at a time. Banks has severe arthritis in her spine, fused vertebra and very bad HD, whenever our vet looks at her x=rays he is stunned that she is able to walk at all. So he offered the laser to help with her pain.... I just bought a 6 pack of sessions and it was about $180.00.

talk to your vet about it.... it can't hurt

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.