Help Needed! She's at the vet right now :( possible surgery needed for torn ACL

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I had to drop my baby off at the vet this morning for X-Rays. It has been 5 weeks now since she hurted her right back leg playing with my neighbor's dog. Never thought something so small would become such a big issue.

We restricted her play time to the max that a bulldog allow us.... keeping her in the crate most of the day and not letting her run, jump or get too much excited. Today I decided to bring her to the vet for Xrays and get an idea of how much of a tear it is on the ligament. I read all about conservative management... different types of surgery.... recovery period.... therapy.... and I am a bit upset with what may lie ahead of us. Izzy is only 1 1/2 year old... still a baby and has tons of energy... it breaks my hurt to restrict her exercise and play time without having a recovery plan established for her.

Anybody here has any experience with the surgeries recommended for ACL? How was the recovery time? Does anybody opted for the conservative management instead? Did it work? Should I buy her braces? HELPPPP!!!! :please:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh Michelle, I'm so sorry to hear about your baby… I have NO experience w/ACL surgeries, but I will tag some people to give you some advice… [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I don't know anything about ACL surgery, but we had a bully we rescued once and he had a luxating patella, and needed surgery. After the surgery we had to keep him crated most of the time and had to walk him several times a day and also work his knee joint and ice it several times a day. I would say just follow the vets recommendation as to what to do with her. Hope everything works out for her.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have never had this happen either, but [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] have had it done, I hope you get some news from the X-rays.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Just offering my support here! Poor girl..hope whatever you choose works out well for you!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have never had this happen either, but [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] have had it done, I hope you get some news from the X-rays.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry guys, I wasn't sure who had experience with this before!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sorry guys, I wasn't sure who had experience with this before!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No problem [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION], even if we don't we probably know who does :yes:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
My first bully had both ACLs replaced - one at 10 months and one at 18 months. It's a super common injury in many breeds of dogs, including bulldogs. We opted for TLPO surgery. It was fairly invasive but it lasts a lifetime. While the surgery was difficult for us, Bentley did really well and walked and ran without a problem until he passed. I know it really stinks but the prognosis is very good. And, unfortunately, pretty expensive.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, I have experience with this -- Nitshcke had his done twice. First was a repair and second a replace. We opted to repair the first time as the tear was not all that great, but 6 months later it tore again and we had to go with the replacement. So, in hindsight we know we should have done the replacement to begin with ... Nitshcke was 4 at the time everything took place, he was very active and loved to play rough with bigger breeds and was at daycare a few times a week (I worked there and he tagged along).

Recovery is the tougher part, no walks, leashed potty only, no stairs, no running or jumping. What we did with the second surgery, took no chances for any issue to happen, was removed all furniture from a bedroom and placed a mattress on the floor with lots of pillows and blankets. We placed a baby gate at the doorway and it became his living space for 6 weeks. He could see his sister, but she was very limited to her time in ther with him, kept them seperated if we were not in the room with them. We also took turns sleeping in there with him and we carried him up and down the stairs for potty breaks.... everything else took place in that room.

Hope this helps.... let me know if you have any other questions.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
So sorry i cant add anything to the topic ,just wanted to wish your baby a speedy recovery

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Thanks for sharing your story. We will opt for the repair at this point with hopes that we won't need to replace in the near future and put her through another surgery... such a hard decision to make :(

Her surgery is schedule for Monday December 23rd....

My first bully had both ACLs replaced - one at 10 months and one at 18 months. It's a super common injury in many breeds of dogs, including bulldogs. We opted for TLPO surgery. It was fairly invasive but it lasts a lifetime. While the surgery was difficult for us, Bentley did really well and walked and ran without a problem until he passed. I know it really stinks but the prognosis is very good. And, unfortunately, pretty expensive.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Great idea about creating an area for them to heal and sleep. I am sure he appreciated having you guys to spend the night with him. I want to do the same with our baby. Just need to figure out where in our home because most of our apartment is hard wood floors and I read that carpet is better for them to walk and stand on.

I am really torn between the repair and replace surgery. Her vet suggested the repair at this point and said if he needs to redo it he won't charge us. He had the same policy with the cherry eye and we never had to take Izzy back for a second surgery. He is a very reputible EBD Vet in Houston so I trust him. Just concerns me because Izzy is very high energy and she plays rough with bigger dogs... she also goes to day care and dog parks.

Such a hard decision to make :(

Yes, I have experience with this -- Nitshcke had his done twice. First was a repair and second a replace. We opted to repair the first time as the tear was not all that great, but 6 months later it tore again and we had to go with the replacement. So, in hindsight we know we should have done the replacement to begin with ... Nitshcke was 4 at the time everything took place, he was very active and loved to play rough with bigger breeds and was at daycare a few times a week (I worked there and he tagged along).

Recovery is the tougher part, no walks, leashed potty only, no stairs, no running or jumping. What we did with the second surgery, took no chances for any issue to happen, was removed all furniture from a bedroom and placed a mattress on the floor with lots of pillows and blankets. We placed a baby gate at the doorway and it became his living space for 6 weeks. He could see his sister, but she was very limited to her time in ther with him, kept them seperated if we were not in the room with them. We also took turns sleeping in there with him and we carried him up and down the stairs for potty breaks.... everything else took place in that room.

Hope this helps.... let me know if you have any other questions.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great idea about creating an area for them to heal and sleep. I am sure he appreciated having you guys to spend the night with him. I want to do the same with our baby. Just need to figure out where in our home because most of our apartment is hard wood floors and I read that carpet is better for them to walk and stand on.

I am really torn between the repair and replace surgery. Her vet suggested the repair at this point and said if he needs to redo it he won't charge us. He had the same policy with the cherry eye and we never had to take Izzy back for a second surgery. He is a very reputible EBD Vet in Houston so I trust him. Just concerns me because Izzy is very high energy and she plays rough with bigger dogs... she also goes to day care and dog parks.

Such a hard decision to make :(

It is a tough choice..... please keep us posted on everything and we'll be praying for a successful procedure and recovery

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.