Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: She's at the vet right now :( possible surgery needed for torn ACL

Great idea about creating an area for them to heal and sleep. I am sure he appreciated having you guys to spend the night with him. I want to do the same with our baby. Just need to figure out where in our home because most of our apartment is hard wood floors and I read that carpet is better for them to walk and stand on.

I am really torn between the repair and replace surgery. Her vet suggested the repair at this point and said if he needs to redo it he won't charge us. He had the same policy with the cherry eye and we never had to take Izzy back for a second surgery. He is a very reputible EBD Vet in Houston so I trust him. Just concerns me because Izzy is very high energy and she plays rough with bigger dogs... she also goes to day care and dog parks.

Such a hard decision to make

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Yes, I have experience with this -- Nitshcke had his done twice. First was a repair and second a replace. We opted to repair the first time as the tear was not all that great, but 6 months later it tore again and we had to go with the replacement. So, in hindsight we know we should have done the replacement to begin with ... Nitshcke was 4 at the time everything took place, he was very active and loved to play rough with bigger breeds and was at daycare a few times a week (I worked there and he tagged along).

Recovery is the tougher part, no walks, leashed potty only, no stairs, no running or jumping. What we did with the second surgery, took no chances for any issue to happen, was removed all furniture from a bedroom and placed a mattress on the floor with lots of pillows and blankets. We placed a baby gate at the doorway and it became his living space for 6 weeks. He could see his sister, but she was very limited to her time in ther with him, kept them seperated if we were not in the room with them. We also took turns sleeping in there with him and we carried him up and down the stairs for potty breaks.... everything else took place in that room.

Hope this helps.... let me know if you have any other questions.

My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)

I'm a good girl, I promise

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy's Mom View Post
    Great idea about creating an area for them to heal and sleep. I am sure he appreciated having you guys to spend the night with him. I want to do the same with our baby. Just need to figure out where in our home because most of our apartment is hard wood floors and I read that carpet is better for them to walk and stand on.

I am really torn between the repair and replace surgery. Her vet suggested the repair at this point and said if he needs to redo it he won't charge us. He had the same policy with the cherry eye and we never had to take Izzy back for a second surgery. He is a very reputible EBD Vet in Houston so I trust him. Just concerns me because Izzy is very high energy and she plays rough with bigger dogs... she also goes to day care and dog parks.

Such a hard decision to make
    It is a tough choice..... please keep us posted on everything and we'll be praying for a successful procedure and recovery
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I'm so sorry about this difficult decision... I have nothing to add, just prayers that everything goes smoothly on Monday!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Keeping y'all and Izzy in my prayers and you find PEACE in your decision.
    A real blessing that you have a great bully vet that you trust! GOD bless!!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all! Surgery is now schedule for December 26th. I already called the vet 3 times rescheduling.... I google some pictures of dogs recovering from the same procedure and almost had a heart attack when I saw the size of the incision

Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Izzy had her surgery on the 26th and she is doing well. She came back from the vet still limping but she is slowly starting to use her leg again to walk. What scared me the most was that since the incident she had lost 1 pound and I knew it was mostly muscle weight since she went from being very active to no exercise at all. We were also able to notice her leg getting smaller.... so I decide not to reschedule the procedure and just do it.

She is being crated most of the day, but we take her on slow potty breaks 3 times a day and she walks just fine. She seems to be doing well... only if they could talk!!!! We are massaging and doing the exercises recommended by the vet (PROM) and I have been using a bag of frozen peas as an ice pack. She hates it .... but I have been using her favorite treat to convince her of letting me do it!

Here some pictures of our babe... I am trying to download a video of her walking after the surgery.

-img-20131227-wa001-jpg-img-20131227-wa002-jpg

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy's Mom View Post
    Izzy had her surgery on the 26th and she is doing well. She came back from the vet still limping but she is slowly starting to use her leg again to walk. What scared me the most was that since the incident she had lost 1 pound and I knew it was mostly muscle weight since she went from being very active to no exercise at all. We were also able to notice her leg getting smaller.... so I decide not to reschedule the procedure and just do it.

She is being crated most of the day, but we take her on slow potty breaks 3 times a day and she walks just fine. She seems to be doing well... only if they could talk!!!! We are massaging and doing the exercises recommended by the vet (PROM) and I have been using a bag of frozen peas as an ice pack. She hates it .... but I have been using her favorite treat to convince her of letting me do it!

Here some pictures of our babe... I am trying to download a video of her walking after the surgery.

-img-20131227-wa001-jpg-img-20131227-wa002-jpg

OUCH,,,, so glad she is home and starting her recovery! This is the hard part
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads